UV or CPL filter

Rflshootr

Has anyone ever tried putting a UV or CPL camera filter on a scope to reduce glare or enhance the image? Wondering if it would work or screw the works up:confused:

Pretty sure folks have put all kinds of "filters" on scopes....some like 'em and some don't.

As long as it is a photography quality filter (both faces flat and in parallel) and you can find one that threads into the scope it will work.

UV/haze filters can sharpen image contrast slightly.

There is 'excessive' blue in sunlight.

The reason I asked is because I have a cheaper Weaver Classic 8x32 scope made in the Philippines that according to Weaver, "wasn't designed for a sunshade".
I have trouble with glare on the front lens in the afternoon. So I figured out that the thread in the front is a 52mm and bought a camera sunshade that is about 1" long, which isn't much. I was wondering if adding the UV filter would help cut down on the glare at all.

Last edited:
I've found that if you look around, you'll find a soda can that's about the right diameter to slip over your front bell. Just give it a squirt of matte black rattle can paint in & outside. If it isn't snug enough, build up the scope diameter with tape & when fitted, tape it on with a turn of that dull black fabric backed tape.

I ran one of those on a 24x Leopold for a good few years until I stupidly sold it.

The reason I asked is because I have a cheaper Weaver Classic 8x32 scope made in the Philippines that according to Weaver, "wasn't designed for a sunshade".
I have trouble with glare on the front lens in the afternoon. So I figured out that the thread in the front is a 52mm and bought a camera sunshade that is about 1" long, which isn't much. I was wondering if adding the UV filter would help cut down on the glare at all.

Probably not unless the "UV " filter has some tint on it (used to be called "daylight/UV" filters.

Ah some optics

Funny thing I was only discussing filters for scopes with Stuart Elliot at the range last month for various other issues.
First up polarizers. They usually just act as a light attenuator or blocker. They only darken beyond their neutral density when they filter out polarized light. i.e from the sky for example. As a result they have little effect on filtering out flare or non polarized light entering the scope.

UV filters can help because they also absorb some vilot and blue wavelengths as well. You can get more severe types of UV filter than the skylight 1a 1b and 1c used on camera lenses.

Deep yellow and red filters like the wratten 12, 15, and 29 although they improve the apparent contrast between the black aiming points and the white paper they absorb so much light in total it makes them difficult to make use of. You almost need to keep one eye closed except for when looking through the scope.

Have you tried one of the Tenebrex "honeycomb" style slip fit types. They're supposed to equal a 3" shade

No I haven't. But I did find a 3" shade from China on ebay. Have it on order. Bet it will be on the sloooooooow boat.

I have done some searching for honeycomb material to make one like that with no luck.

Last edited:
I know y'all like to be somewhat fancy but a piece of paper taped on there would work just fine...kinda like John posted...

Wilbur......I ain't fancy by any means...well maybe somewhat. I just wonder if I could talk the nice people at Charmin or Bounty into increasing the tube size on their products. LOL

My wife bought some toilet tissue that didn't have a tube at all...OK I guess. I fussed about it but it wasn't a problem........don't tell my wife it wasn't a problem.

Leupold at one time made scope filters that screwed in to the front of the scope in different colors or shades for different light condtions. I can,t find them on there website now or for sale any place. They may or may not have worked or too expensive. Probably most people just went to a camera shop and picked them up. Maybe some one will chime in and tell us about there experience with them.

Back