Use Of Proper Jag

Not wishing to bump heads in another thread, I thought I should mention a few things about jags and what proper use means. Since I met David Wick 20 years ago his are the only jags I have used. As was explained to me, the piercing point is steel so that the patch is more easily pierced and more surely rejected when the jag has exited the muzzle and the rod is pulled back. The enlarged portion at the business end of the jag is fluted to reduce friction and still contact the bore for scrubbing. This section is also the length that it is to optimize the cleaning. The reduced diameter section is there to enable the patch to hold more cleaning fluid. The rear enlarged section is there to provide a diameter to match the rod and to prevent damage to the crown when the rod/jag is withdrawn. David Wick did much experimentation with regard to properly sizing his jags to optimize the entire cleaning, lubing, drying process. When you bought a jag from David he would tell you which patch to use with which jag. He made jags for several diameter bores. My main diameters and jags and their patches are 1 3/4 for .30 cal, 1 3/8 for 6mm, and 1 1/4 for .22 cal.
David was quick to tell everyone that there is another famous guy from Auburn, Indiana.
Who is the other famous person?

Not even close....
NASCAR Driver Tony Stewart.
We were coming back from a match in St. Louis or Webster City when we noticed a grossly over looked acknowledgement on the Welcome To Auburn Sign — Home of Tony Stewart. We corrected the mistake with a permanent marker. We stopped and added ”And David Wick”. We also stopped and took David out to dinner.

I've beeb using

Don Leidich's bore rider delrin jags and brush holders for several l years not. They work great. The pierce well and let the patch go just fine when retracting. They are extra long so I can stop the forward motion before my cleaning rod itself exits the muzzle. Top shelf stuff.

Back