USA World Benchrest Championship Teams

B

Brutas

We would like to thank all of the participants that represented the USA in France at the WBC11 for their outstanding performance.

Mike Ratigan
Jack Neary
Wayne Cambell
Andy Shifflett
Larry Costa
Gene Bukys
Chris Harris
Tony Boyer
Larry Baggett
Dave Coots
Robert Hammack
Tim Olsterdorf

We are very pleased to support you in your efforts and glad to hear everything worked so well for you.

Great Shooting,

Thanks,

Tracy Bartlein and the entire Bartlein Team

And thank you Bartlein for your generous contribution in furnishing winning barrels for our team members. James Mock

Bartlein's contribution was a great example of how US manufacturers should support our team. It would be nice to see more of that kind of support from other vendors.

Great shooting by Team USA!

Jack Neary and Tracy Bartlein. Helped with a raffle last year, for the Holton Gun and Bow Club.
2 raffles to help with range repairs and upgrades.
I think, sorta remember, Jack saying they raised almost $800.....
The IBS Group Nationals were held there in July.
First time in Michigan for a National Match. Benchrest Group. So I was told.
A lot of companies help out with Benchrest shooting. I hope, they are all acknowledged.

Last edited:
how does 1 qualify for the US world team??? Congrats to all that made the cut and thanks for representing the USA so well....

how does 1 qualify for the US world team???

The basic principle is to go to at least 3 of the designated matches and beat everyone. Take a look at http://nbrsa.org/node/161 It spells out how the USA 2011 team was selected. The prior years have generally been the same sort of process, although the designated matches will vary from year to year.

This might not be the place but here goes. Where can we see an equipment list from the wold shoot? I would love to see what the fellas from other countries use for components and such. Lee

Where can we see an equipment list from the wold shoot? I would love to see what the fellas from other countries use for components and such.

Lee

I would also like to see an equipment list for WBC11, but as for the equipment used internationally, you may be surprised by how familiar it looks to you. Most likely the only significant difference you will see will be gunsmiths, as these tend to be local within a given country – although even here you may see familiar US names as some come countries simply dont have a BR quality gunsmith so have to export gunsmithing work. Also, bullets are often made locally within a country from exported J4 jackets, in niemi or deitch bullet dies. There are some international action, barrel or stock makers, but they tend to be in a very small minority of the total equipment used at a WBC match. Attached is the equipment list from WBC10. The only other anomaly you will see at this event is the local Somchem 335 smokeless powder.

View attachment WBC10_Competitor_EquipByPlacings.xls

Last edited:
how does 1 qualify for the US world team??? Congrats to all that made the cut and thanks for representing the USA so well....

There are four matches that are selected to earn qualifying points plus the NBRSA nationals, five events total. The qualifying matches for the 2013 World Team match will be shot in 2012. These matches vary in location and are picked by the board of directors for the NBRSA. Your best three event finishes out of the five events including the LV and HV class at the nationals are counted toward how you finish in the selection for the U. S. World Team. You can have a bad event or two and still make it on the team.

The qualifying matches in 2010 were the Cactus Classic in Phoenix, the Hog Roast in Fairchance, PA, the East-West Shoot out in St. Louis, MO and the Rattlesnake in Raton, NM, plus the NBRSA nationals in Kansas City. The eastern regionals at Kelbly's was a qualifying match one year instead of the Rattlesnake. I haven't seen the list yet of where the 2012 qualifying matches are for the 2013 World Team match. The reason for having a best three out of five is that it makes it where you don't have to travel all across the U. S. to make the team. You can pick out two closest to you and shoot the nationals and make the team. There are a lot of shooters who will shoot all five of them and it's a lot of fun shooting at places that normally would be farther away than where you would normally shoot. The top 12 finishers are the selection for the three U. S world team members. If someone that qualifies can't go, then the next one down from the top 12 qualifies to go and so on, until they fill out 12 shooters who can attend the world team match. Points are given at each match according to the number of competitors and how many you finish higher. There is a limit on the number of points that you can win at any one event. You can no longer place 75th at the Cactus and win more points than placing 1st at the Hog Roast.

There is a little more to it than that as I'm not all that sure on how the points are awarded. Shoot well at three of the five and you have a good shot at making one of the teams. Shoot mediocre at three of the five and you won't make a team.

Back