Unlimited Rail Gun Enthusiast ?

Another thing about the Skip Otto/Carolyn Libby rail is that it is underslung. I wonder out loud if that isn't also a contributing factor in its accuracy.

My reason to get the Otto rail.

When we started this sport we started with what we called Cruzer’s, basically our Heavy rifle with a weight in the stock and a 1.250 barrel and they waded about 26 lbs. This was good for several years and then with everyone telling us we needed a rail I bought a Powell rail which was one of the rails to have at the time or a Hascuster a similar style.

These were a flat style top and fairly light in weight to move on and off the bench. The problem was if you had a sticky case when you lifted the bolt the top would tilt/rock up on you, this was a bigger problem for Carolyn if this happened and some of the problem was that the Russian brass was not around and now the USA brass imitation of the Russian was being used and it was very unstable each time you used it, you did not know how it would come out with the bolt.

Sold the rail and went back to the Cruzer’s for several more years until I wanted to get a rail again, That is when I really started to look at all the rail guns at this time and some of the more advanced of some and then I took a real good look at the Otto rail. It was under slung and heavy and having the previous issues I thought this is it and now you know the rest of the story :)

Ps:
When you set up this type of rail on the bench while setting your flags and looking through the scope and don’t look through the bore of the barrel also you will most likely shoot your flags due to this type of rail. But it was a nice group. :eek:

Thanks Tom

Who is still building Rails today?
I know Jay Young is and I see Magnum Metal advertise here, but who else is making rails?

Who is still building Rails today?
I know Jay Young is and I see Magnum Metal advertise here, but who else is making rails?

The class is so far and few between its not a popular item anymore sadly. Nobody wants to spend that much money on something theyll only use about once or twice a year at most.

Dusty,
We plan on bringing the unlimited class (rails) back to the AR state shoot next year, 2016. It will be the first half
of the 4 gun like it use to be. I know that Glenn and Jay Lynn asked about this year and Ray and I thought it would
be good to have back. I just hope that there is enough interest to justify it. Since I don't own a rail I just may shoot
my Hart #4 action cruiser behemoth and see what it will do!
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

If anyone is interested Truman Wilson has a Skip Otto Rail for sale, he had it at the SniperKing! I can,t remember who it belonged to, but he is selling it for the wife, who's husband passed away!

I'm Interested

Please contact me with the contact # as I would be interested in the Skip Otto Rail. Thank you.
PM Sent to Steelhead1

Dusty,
We plan on bringing the unlimited class (rails) back to the AR state shoot next year, 2016. It will be the first half
of the 4 gun like it use to be. I know that Glenn and Jay Lynn asked about this year and Ray and I thought it would
be good to have back. I just hope that there is enough interest to justify it. Since I don't own a rail I just may shoot
my Hart #4 action cruiser behemoth and see what it will do!
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

Joe that is great news, glad to see you bringing back the Unlimited and Rails next year, we will try to make it down and shoot with you all. Thanks for the update and hope you all have a great rest of the year.

Rich

Found contact info for Truman. Thank you

For whatever reason I've not had much luck when it comes to trying to save a barrel. After removing it and re-installing, it never seems to be the same as before removal. Could be in the actual torque of the barrel to the action? Could be the way the barrel block is reinstalled? Maybe something else I've overlooked? This isn't just with a rails but with sporters and heavies too. Once the barrel comes off and then back on, I haven't had constant success in repeat performance.
Dave B

Dave, I was talking to Mike Conry at the rail gun match at Seymour last weekend. He has a barrel that he's saving for the Nationals. The difference in the details is how he does it. He took the complete barreled action off his rail and saved it. Then used a different barrel and action for the Seymour match. However, he smoked everyone there anyway with his backup barreled action. That way certainly seems better than taking a barrel off an action and putting it back on. I've seen that happen the same way you stated.

Rail gun stuff is really hard to find on the net. I am attempting a build one from scratch over her in Europe and as i never seen a real railgun its a tough going and luckily friend Speedy gave me a bit of a head start with some ole drawings from his X wing railgun . But i am still looking for details regarding the V shaped guides and Derlin studs anyone willing to share some picts of these details would be very helpfull

If I could build a Rail Gun,I would make it different from everybody else's. That's the beauty of the unlimited class. Create something that nobody else has seen before.

Glen

If I could build a Rail Gun,I would make it different from everybody else's. That's the beauty of the unlimited class. Create something that nobody else has seen before.

Glen
It will be different.
Even so they all use the same type of guides and 'bearings', on some parts there is just no need to reinvent the wheel.

I think this needs a separate site - done right! I was able to purchase "railguns.org" if that's acceptable???

I learned a long time ago that once you look, you better buy, as those folks seem to track what you're looking at.

Wilbur;761552 I learned a long time ago that once you look said:
Maybe its some sort off 'terminal' disease but I can't , i have to modify or build myself even tough it normally ends up costing so much time and effort i would be better off buying.

A railgun is a passion and labor of love. A handmade railgun should cost $15k. A cnc one should cost $3k if you make 50-100 at a time. Id knock out 100 next week if i thought i could sell 50 but id bet theres not 10 thats a buyer right now.

Have no intention of building more than my own and altough most of it will be CNC machined it will still be an uniqe one-off.

Railguns.org
Sounds great Wilbur.
You must be a glutton for punishment. Just kidding we all appreciate your efforts we don't say it enough

Here's a few thoughts!
I know there is quite a bit of new interest in some regions, and several new Rail guns being bought this season. As far as selling them, if a new Rail that was unique, and winning came on scene it would not be hard to sell 50, but just making cookie cutters will be status quo.

Look at Skip Otto's rail, I would think if they were still being built today the waiting & order list would be long. Then we have Tom's @ ( Bat ) latest design my guess is it would sell like hot cakes if readily available. Yes the cost is high, but given the circumstances a quality Rail will last you a lifetime and not that big of investment if you amortize the cost over a lifetime.

I applaud Wilbur for taking the initiative and personally think it will help promote the unlimited class. Thanks Wilbur, we do appreciate it.

Instead of accepting the current pros and cons, there are things that could help make the class a better, bigger and a more competitive class, it just takes a little work. Ultimately if more new shooters were subjected to the class I believe it would grow, new shooters are like sponges for information and I think a new web site can only help supply them with that information. We could go on and on about what we believe but doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, well you know what that will get us.

Wilbur thank you again, and I'm personally happy you think it's viable enough to think about the new web site.

Rich Henderson

Here's a few thoughts!
I know there is quite a bit of new interest in some regions, and several new Rail guns being bought this season. As far as selling them, if a new Rail that was unique, and winning came on scene it would not be hard to sell 50, but just making cookie cutters will be status quo.

Look at Skip Otto's rail, I would think if they were still being built today the waiting & order list would be long. Then we have Tom's @ ( Bat ) latest design my guess is it would sell like hot cakes if readily available. Yes the cost is high, but given the circumstances a quality Rail will last you a lifetime and not that big of investment if you amortize the cost over a lifetime.

I applaud Wilbur for taking the initiative and personally think it will help promote the unlimited class. Thanks Wilbur, we do appreciate it.

Instead of accepting the current pros and cons, there are things that could help make the class a better, bigger and a more competitive class, it just takes a little work. Ultimately if more new shooters were subjected to the class I believe it would grow, new shooters are like sponges for information and I think a new web site can only help supply them with that information. We could go on and on about what we believe but doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, well you know what that will get us.

Wilbur thank you again, and I'm personally happy you think it's viable enough to think about the new web site.

Rich Henderson

Excellent Post. When you run out of Rail Gun design ideas you run out of progress. This Sport has some of the Brightest minds with imaginations to match. I know a guy who built his Rail Gun from scratch,in his garage. The "Unlimited Class" means just that. "Unlimited". I like the idea of a new web site for the unlimited Class.

Glenn

Back