Unknown Cartridge on .30 Caliber - Please help

JustAnOldCoot

Hi fellow OCD's...I purchased at auction a couple of Steve Kostanich's former F-class rifles...both of which the cartridges are a mystery to me.

One of them has some cerasafe chamber dimensions that I can't find a match for - appears to have a 30 degree shoulder, neck length of about .402, shoulder height of about .145, case diameter of around .460, and overall case length somewhere around 1.852".

The barrel is marked with Steve's Name on one side, and (HC 30x2" .332" NK) on the other. Clearly the neck dimensions are a giveaway...but the HC 30x2" has got me puzzled. Please see the attached photos - any information you have would be greatly appreciated. Take care and God Bless you and yours...

Attachments

• Steve Kostanich HC30x2.jpg
    Steve Kostanich HC30x2.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 222
  • Steve Kostanich Name.jpg
    Steve Kostanich Name.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 190
IMO this is a case where a call to Steve hissownself might be in order :)

If nothing else, to access the dies

(360) 748-0705 PST same as you

Old coot

The rifle you have there is an NBRSA Hunter class rifle. That is what the HC stands for, at least that is what it was originally built for.
Someone may have reconfigured it into something else.

You more than likely have one of the late Verne Johnson rifles, as he created the HC 30x2. That case is simply a 308 Win. case with the shoulder pushed back some, while retaining the 2" overall length. It has a 30 degree shoulder rather than the 20 degree.

I chambered rifles with that reamer for other folks in the Portland area, so it could be from one of them. Too many years back to remember for sure.

I just re-read your post, and caught the 1.850" length. That was another cartridge Vern cooked up, and he may have had me rechamber an HC 30x2 to the shorter cartridge, and I never remarked the barrel. Someone else may have rechambered it too and never remarked it.

Regards,
Steve Kostanich

Last edited:
Old coot

The rifle you have there is an NBRSA Hunter class rifle. That is what the HC stands for, at least that is what it was originally built for.
Someone may have reconfigured it into something else.

You more than likely have one of the late Verne Johnson rifles, as he created the HC 30x2. That case is simply a 308 Win. case with the shoulder pushed back some, while retaining the 2" overall length. It has a 30 degree shoulder rather than the 20 degree.

I chambered rifles with that reamer for other folks in the Portland area, so it could be from one of them. Too many years back to remember for sure.

I just re-read your post, and caught the 1.850" length. That was another cartridge Vern cooked up, and he may have had me rechamber an HC 30x2 to the shorter cartridge, and I never remarked the barrel. Someone else may have rechambered it too and never remarked it.

Regards,
Steve Kostanich

OUTSTANDING! Thank you Steve!! God Bless you and yours! Sean

Sean,

I went thru some of my old stuff from back in the mid '90's and found a FL die that I made and it is marked HC 30 FL. I think this die is for your chamber, I never did chamber a barrel for myself in the HC 30, so I have no use for it.

You can have it, if it will work for you. There is no primer knock out rod in it, and I have no idea of what the neck section diameter is for sizing purposes.

Let me know ir you want it. I will need your address.

Regards,
Steve Kostanich

Hi all,
I recently bought a die set, to neck down and bump shoulders .
I used his die set to help convert my lapua 30-06 brass to 6mm remington brass,
and also to make 6.5 x 300 saum brass from 300 saum brass.
Please PM me if you would like his contact info. He might be able to help you form
brass.

I found his info on one of these shooting forums.

thank you,
pat

Back