Unertl question

F

frankz

I was wondering if the 2 inch target model was ever made in 15 power. Everything measures that it is a target model but I do not see that it was made in that power. Also, Does anyone know where I might be able to get a manual for this scope.
Thanks,

Take this question to "forums" at assra.com & you'll discover a great group who will provide answers to your questions.

Yes it was made in 15x in the mid 50s. Find a Shooters Bible from the 50s, you will see it listed-you will be surprised to see it was made in 10, 15, 18, 20 and 24 in 1954. The 18x is the unusual one. The Programmer wasn't out yet and Fecker was still in business then (John Unertl (the elder) used to work for Fecker), and the Lyman Supertargetspot was made in 25x, and soon after in the 30x especially for Sam Clark (the Tony Boyer of that period). The Unertl Vulture wasn't out yet either and the Ultra Varmint wasn't made in 15x yet, just 8. 10 and 12x. I have manuals but I need them.

I was wondering if the 2 inch target model was ever made in 15 power. Everything measures that it is a target model but I do not see that it was made in that power. Also, Does anyone know where I might be able to get a manual for this scope.
Thanks,

Yes they were. I have a 2 Inch target model in 15 power. It has the calibrated head as well. Probably purchased it back in the late 60's.

Bob

I had a used 2" target in 15X I bought from Flaig's Lodge back in "62". Another eye peice was all that was needed to change power. I wanted more power so I went down to Unertl's ( East Street) and bought an 18X eye peice. Didn't like it so I sold it. I don't remember why! Knew a guy who worked for John Jr., by then Sr. was gone. He told me an amusing story worth telling now that the statute of limitations has run out. After the war they brought out a line of internally adjustable scopes. Good glass but poorly sealed. Occasionally a customer would come in with a fogged up scope which Jr. would take in another room, remove the eye piece and with the help of an acetylene torch dry it out, put the eye piece back on an return to customer at no charge. Like B&L and Kollmorgen, Unertl did more work for Uncle Sam than for civilian shooters.

Contact Dewayne Greiner,320-589-4050, ace@runestone.net. He has been buying them and reselling them for years. I sold all mine to him, He knows anything you want to know about them. I would think he could find a book for you

I bought a new 2 inch target 15X in 1959. I have a single piece of paper that came with it that has parallax information--precise settings for the calibrated head. I'm not sure if there was a "manual" published by Unertl?

Frank

I have a 2" Ultra Varmit in 15x . They also made a 15x in a 2" scope. Bought mine new in 1974.
Check www.alexweb.net and look at his inventory. Probably will set you back around $800.00
Centerfire

Another Unertl Question

I found in a cupboard the other day a Unertl 15x scope. I was wondering if there is any point in refurbishing it for potential sale. The external micrometers and mounts seem to be working well and the spring is in good shape but the outside of the scope housing is roched and needs re-enamelling. The optics need cleaning and the cross hair replacing. I was quoted $380 to do this. It wouldn't be worth anything without doing this.

Any market out there for this scope or should I just bin it ?

Andy.

Another offer

I was made an offer by the guy who will refurbish it for the amount he quoted to do the work and he will collect it. So I'll get back to you if he decides he doesn't want it.
Andy.

To the best of my knowledge

The 2" target model wa not produced in 15X it was in 14, 16, etc. what you are looking at is probably an ultra varmint model that was done in 15X. It had a wider field of view for obvious reasons. Greg

The 2" Target was made in 15x, I've seen them. The Ultra Varmint was made in 15x also and has a bigger eyepiece.

glp & Dan Conzo,
You may both be right! In the early 60's, as I stated earlier, I bought a used 2" target model in 15X. It was NOT an ultra vamint. I doubt anyone would buy a 2" target an change it to 15X if it were 16X or 18X. Then I remembered that I had a Unertl catalog tucked away somewhere that I had gotten when the Programer-200 first came out. Can find no date on the catalog but it was the early 60's. For a while, don't know how long, the 2" target was offered along with the Programer-200. At that point the 2" target was NOT offered in 15X.

Mine is definitely a 2" target in 15X. The eye piece is different between the Ultra Varmint and the Target. Target model has a long and skinny eyepiece. Varmint is bottle necked and shorter.

Right on the eye piece in white letters is 15X.

Bob

The Programer-200 also had a big eyepiece. The earlier 2" Target was only about as long as the Ultra Varmint (24"), but later was 26 1/4" long and the Programer was 26 1/2" long. The Programer also had a fast cam adjustable objective for parallax 50' to 200 yds was only about 1/2 turn of the graduated ring. In the 50s John Unertl also made a 1/8 minute micrometer rear mount instead of the standard 1/4 minute. The adjustments were based on a 7.2" base separation of course. The longer separation the finer the movement.

The 1/8 minute rear mount was an option for the standard 1/4 minute rear mount.

I still have the Unertl base seperation chart tacked to my shop wall.The separations here are for 1/4 min.
12.6"=1/7 min.,10.8"=1/6 min.,9.0"=1/5 min.,7.2"=1/4 min.,5.4"=1/3 min. I guess I can finally take it down and throw it away!

Back