Ultimate FTR Rig

Nez did the chambering for the 1st and 3rd place shooters at Camp Perry in the Presidents 100. I think they had 1187 shooters. He is a quick learn on chambering.

The truth

There are lots of answers but one valid one is a box-stock Savage 12 F/TR 308 for about twelve hundred bucks along with 100 hours of individualized coaching by a wind reading expert. :cool:

So true.......... it`s the indian........ not the arrow.......... you can put an Olympians rifle in most guys hands and they still won`t win.................
bill

So true.......... it`s the indian........ not the arrow.......... you can put an Olympians rifle in most guys hands and they still won`t win.................
bill

Bill, Tony Boyer said a great shooter will not win with a subpar rifle. FTR takes more shooter ability than a bench shooter. I might get the arrow now.

Bill, Tony Boyer said a great shooter will not win with a subpar rifle. FTR takes more shooter ability than a bench shooter. I might get the arrow now.

Benchrest might be the only shooting discipline where a shooter is no better than the Rifle. If you have a .250 Rifle, that is the best you can do, period, baring some type of Devine intervention.

The truth is, in Benchrest, more times than not, it is the arrow. But, if you notice, the top "Indians" always have the straightest arrows.:D

Last edited:
Nez,

I sure would like to know the size of the steel plate that guy was shooting at 1000 yards.

I shoot my M14/M1A once a month out to 500 meters on steel and the front sight is bigger than the target.

Thanks

Benchrest might be the only shooting discipline where a shooter is no better than the Rifle. If you have a .250 Rifle, that is the best you can do, period, baring some type of Devine intervention.

The truth is, in Benchrest, more times than not, it is the arrow. But, if you notice, the top "Indians" always have the straightest arrows.:D

That's what the top Indians do...find the straightest arrow they can. You can beat them once but you better bring something good to the next match.

Devine intervention does rarely occur, but it's best to have a good rifle.

Nez,

I sure would like to know the size of the steel plate that guy was shooting at 1000 yards.

I shoot my M14/M1A once a month out to 500 meters on steel and the front sight is bigger than the target.

Thanks

I was the shooter. I was told about the match, and decided to sign up and dragged along a couple of my buddies who formerly shot for the military teams. We were surprised when we were told the plate measures 18 x 24. The carrot was a hat embroidered "Iron Sight 1000 Yards" if any iron sight shooter hits it once, plus gift card to the winner. Match rule, 1 sighter and 10 shots for record I got lucky I managed 6 hits.

The 18 inch wide steel plate was like aiming at a needle in relative proportion to the front sight

Last edited:
After reading this thread, I did a search on this class, and found some of the results rather amusing.

Most amusing was the requirement that you must shoot off of a bi-pod, rather than a fancy front test. But then someone is actually manufacturing a joystick front by-pod. Sort of defeats the spirit of the class.

It's turned into a equipment face, just like everything else. That being said, I have seen the out of the box Savage FTR in 308 shoot pretty consistent "three's" and clean 20x's in VFS.

Jackie,
It's interesting to look at the original requirements for "F" class shooting (as written by the founder, George Farquharson) and compare them to what they have become. The original requirements were for any rifle, any sight, fired prone from any rest whether a tripod, bipod or a sack of horsefeathers (I never tried horsefeathers but do still, on occasion, use a sack of sawdust). Plainly, these rules were just too simple to endure and it wasn't long before they evolved into what we see today. F-O is BR without the bench while F/TR is the same rifle, somewhat lighter, saddled with a bipod. I have, personally, never understood the reasoning behind the bipod requirement unless it was intended to limit the amount of weight which could be put into the barrel. I had once advocated simply limiting the rest to whatever could be carried to the line in one trip (including the rifle). I, with my sack of sawdust, would have been fine but some others could not have carried their front and rear bags in one trip so it wasn't reallu a viable rule.
From the outset, shooters have complained whenever someone with different equipment was winning. I recall one match where the man with whom I was squadded was complaining about the proliferation of specialized rifles with custom actions. I was, at that time, comfortably in the lead shooting my rifle which was based on a Model 70 so I didn't see his point. Later, when the shooting was beginning to tighten up, I did have to build a more dedicated rifle but I'm not convinced that more practice would not have served me as well. I still have that Model 70 but I now mostly shoot it with a sling. It still shoots well though and would probably still work OK for F/tr. I truly feel, when any sport devolves into an equipment race, the sport suffers unless the equipment race was the original intent of the sport. Regards, Bill

Back