Ugly threads

see page 5 and 27 of the following link, probably explains it better than I ever could, unfortunately the chart is in mm. infeed for 60 degree threads, dont know why, anyway was the first explanation/chart I came across..............Don

http://www2.coromant.sandvik.com/coromant/pdf/metalworking_products_061/tech_c.pdf

Wow. Thanks, Don. I didn't know that kind of information existed. It sounds like it is for carbide insert machining, but I can't wait to try it with HSS. I think the most interesting part was not to make a cut less than 0.08mm in austinsitic stainless...not sure if that relates to tool wear, surface finish, or just to carbide.
Thanks again,
Jim

Adamsgt,

Don't give up, you'll need to do something with your lathe.

Unless your lathe is missing teeth, or so worn that it is jumping a cog in the gearing, and not having a broken shear pin in the feed screw, any lathe will cut a thread. 60 deg threads can be just about any pitch you desire, usually 4-80 tpi, so if your gearing is wrong, only will the pitch off. It will still cut a pretty thread, just will not be the right pitch.

If your chuck is in real bad shape, IE, the jaws worn to the point that they will not clamp equally around a round part, Though you would notice this as the part "barrel" would be jumping around.

What you are experiencing is a problem with the backlash in your lathe, All machines have it, even very pricey CNC's. It's the nature of the beast.
On a lathe, you will find you have backlash in the carriage feed gearing, the lead screw, the cross slide screw, and the compound screw. These all have to be eliminated per se before you start to cut and before you set the dials to "0"

As an example, turn the cross slide screw, counter clockwise until the cross slide moves a little, then turn it in to where you want it to be zero then you turn the dial to set the "0". The same thing goes for the compound. Any time you retract the tool you need to be sure you have zeroed out the backlash.

Now the Lead Screw, as shown in Bob's video, you need to engage the half-nuts at the proper mark on the thread dial. When doing this you sometimes "most always" need to use your left hand as a brake on the carriage feed wheel, as you engage the half nuts. This will ensure that your backlash stack up, driving the carriage is reduced to zero. After a while you will get good enough to chase down the mark you want on the thread dial by using the feed wheel.

A lot of machinists will pull on the tool post before they start a cut to make sure the backlash, with regards to the cross and compound is out.

Also check your Gibbs on the slides to reduce any excess play.

On some lathes the compound is so shot that operators will just set them at zero, then lock them down tight, and cut their threads straight in, "Radial Infeed". It's really a lot less stressful for a novice,,,,,, doing it that way.

Read that article from Sandvik that is posted above. Don't worry about the techie stuff, but it will help explain the different ways threads are cut.

It's really easy once you catch on to it, don't give up.

IndianaJames,

Carbide, for all practical purposes does not cut material, but instead removes metal by rubbing it off. There are exceptions to that rule, with very high positive inserts, but generally they do not cut. Thats why rigidity and horsepower is necessary to utilize it properly. Like I said there are exceptions, like Swiss Tooling and Nonferrous tooling. Light weight machines, Like most speak of here are better off with HS as they cut.

Having said that, in our CNC's we cut, "rub" usually around 50 thou as a finish pass. Not for threading, but turning. The reason they recommend a minimum depth of cut is that Carbide will super heat if run too shallow, and will knock the edge off.

Sandvik recommends a high positive insert for cutting stainless. It does not like being rubbed on.

Mr Adams i gotta say your a very patient guy................
by this time i would be threading with a vice and a side grinder, lol... joe:D:D

I don't think the change gears make any difference to the machine picking up the thread repeatably. They just insure that the gearbox setting that is supposed to produce XX thread pitch actually does produce the desired TPI. Or am I missing something ? Seems to me that he has excess backlash somewhere or he is not being consistent when engaging the half nuts.

Also, setting the height of the tool is not hard. Put a center in the tailstock, loosen the tool post and rotate it around so the tip of the tool can be brought near the tip of the center. Set the height of the tool to match the center. Then rotate the toolpost back around and square up the cutting tool with the fish gauge and lock down the tool post. Also REMOVE THE CENTER FROM THE TAILSTOCK OR YOU WILL GET BLOOD ON THE LATHE !!! :)

Remember, machines don't have evil intent. You just have to step by step eliminate the possible wrong settings that can cause this problem until you find the one that's giving you this issue.

As far as setting the tool height goes, back in the stone age, when I took the basic course in college, we were using what I have later heard called lantern or rocker style tool holders. Our instructor, who had many years of shop experience, lightly pinned (using the cross feed)his steel pocket rule to the side of a piece of round stock (that had previously been chucked) with the tip of the cutting tool. When the too at the right height, the rule was vertical, a little high, and it tilted in at the top, and the opposite if low. We were using tools hand ground from HS steel blanks.

Back