Turning cases on a Lathe ?

Hmmmm

Back when I wrote that article on single point neck turning in a lathe, I should have had it copy writed. I could have just collected a quarter from each of you:D.
The best way to use this proccess is to do no fewer than 100 at a time. I can do 100 cases in about 1 1/2 hour.
If you blow the cases out first, they run dead true on the mandrel. What I do is blow them out, (22 bullet in 6mmbarrel), turn them in the lathe, trim to length, fire them once again in my fireform rig, and they are ready to go to the line.
One thing I do different now is I do use a shell holder, with a piece pressed in it to fit the jacobs chuck, to put them on and remove them. I got that idea from Mike Bryant, and it is easier, and quicker.........jackie

what do you mean by "blow them out" ? Edit from last post...What kind of cutting tool should I use to do this?

I use a shellholder now as well

I put a shellholder in a jacobs chuck to push cases on and pull them off.

Also, set the tool at the same angle as the neck.

I dont use a carbide tool for this, toolsteel seems to work best.

Rob.

Mcm

What I mean is you take a 220 Russian case, fill it with N133, and seat a cheap 22 caliber bullet. You then fire the case in what ever 6PPC chamber you use. What comes out is what would amount to a Lapua Factory non neck turned 6PPC, if such an animal existed. Since I use a.269 neck chamber, the cases are perfect to push right upon the mandrel to turn in the lathe.
As for the 22 bullet in a 6mm barrel, it will generate a lot more pressure than you would think. In fact, it isn't much different than a 6mm bullet........jackie

Back