Turbo Bolts!

As you are free to read elsewhere, complete with detail photos, what you describe is a virtual impossibility. My guess is that we have another victim of the " Wass school of gunsmithing". go figure.

As you are free to read elsewhere, complete with detail photos, what you describe is a virtual impossibility. My guess is that we have another victim of the " Wass school of gunsmithing". go figure.
By the way, those weights and the fast over mass thinking started way back with Billy Myers trying to convince Alan what he needed for reliable ignition. They came alive when Gordon Eck started to work on a few and almost every one that occaisionally show up in the winners circle has been changed accordingly. It has greatly improved ignition consistancy.

Sure could have fooled me Tim

By the way, those weights and the fast over mass thinking started way back with Billy Myers trying to convince Alan what he needed for reliable ignition. They came alive when Gordon Eck started to work on a few and almost every one that occaisionally show up in the winners circle has been changed accordingly. It has greatly improved ignition consistancy.

My rifle shoots better without them somehow. My rifle goes bang every time I pull the trigger. The whole ignition thing in rimfire is way over exaggerated, from what I have observed. I think a great ignition system certainly can't hurt anything but there are lots of rifles out there with pretty simple systems that shoot pretty dern good; as good as their barrels will allow them to shoot. There is a lot of hype in the gun business, like many other businesses. New rifle have to be sold and folks have to work, eh? One still sees 40Xes winning big shoots along with other not so highly regarded gun systems.

The oracle of Syracuse is wrong with his proclamation regarding the impossibility of the chamber dimple, by the way. :)

Pete

Yeah, you're probably right, what do all those dumb gunsmiths know? Besides I'm still working on the mysterious elongating firing pin?

Last edited:
Keep workin Tim

Yeah, you're probably right, what do all those dumb gunsmiths know? Besides I'm still working on the mysterious elongating firing pin?

It's gonna be a long winter Tim, if you try, you might be able to figure it all out. Meanwhile, Mr. Hall may have been right all along- - - -

Pete

It is possible to ding a chamber with an extractor cut barrel and a pin that DOES NOT protrude past the end of the bolt. I had a barrel on my Lonestar that was not coned and the pin is .005 behind the end of the bolt. It has a jewell trigger in it and shoots pretty good. I loaned the gun to a shooter at one of our tactical matches. He had never shot a light trigger before so I told him to try it a dozen times in it with a spent case in there just for good measure. Long story short, at the end of this learning, I notice the cases not coming out good. Looking at them shows a dimple. I inspect the barrel and there it is. I ended up ironing it out and then running my reamer in to take anything else out. Its an extreme case, but it happened. Although the brass is softer, it still provided enough toughness to transfer the hit and ding the barrel after thinning out after a few hits.

I did the exact same thing

with my first BR gun on the first day I had it. That whole empty case thing is so overrated.....

It is possible to ding a chamber with an extractor cut barrel and a pin that DOES NOT protrude past the end of the bolt. I had a barrel on my Lonestar that was not coned and the pin is .005 behind the end of the bolt. It has a jewell trigger in it and shoots pretty good. I loaned the gun to a shooter at one of our tactical matches. He had never shot a light trigger before so I told him to try it a dozen times in it with a spent case in there just for good measure. Long story short, at the end of this learning, I notice the cases not coming out good. Looking at them shows a dimple. I inspect the barrel and there it is. I ended up ironing it out and then running my reamer in to take anything else out. Its an extreme case, but it happened. Although the brass is softer, it still provided enough toughness to transfer the hit and ding the barrel after thinning out after a few hits.

Sure, I can see how beating multiple times on a spent case can do that, however, friend Peter indicates his happened through normal firing. I'd wager plenty that there's far more to this tale than published.

How much do you consider as being plenty?

Sure, I can see how beating multiple times on a spent case can do that, however, friend Peter indicates his happened through normal firing. I'd wager plenty that there's far more to this tale than published.

Moot point, like many others. How in the world would repeatedly hitting a fired case with a pin that did not protrude past the bolt face differ from hitting a live one? A live one would be thicker wouldn't it ? or are you gonna say the brass got work hardened? I think some barrels are softer than others, ergo, the dimple appears where it wouldn't in others. As I've said, I've seen it more than with my rifles. My Myers did it also. The pin is short enough now so that it doesn't happen; I hope. The new barrel will tell.

Pete

Back