Tuner on Rail gun

Bob Kingsbury

In a Thread some time back, It was said a tuner for an unlimited
Barrel would need to be in the area of 4 lbs. Seems odd that
a HV or sporter would respond to 4 oz, but 4 lbs would be needed
on a 1.375 barrel. How is that total weight determined

Tuner Essentials

I reciently went through all the pain to design and test a rail gun tuner, then have some made. After a couple of prototypes, and testing I settled on a 1 lb tuner 1/2lb on each disk. I tested the final in Gene Beggs tunnel for two full days and shot it at the nationals.

1 lb works great, the gun will stay in tune for long periods and a lot of density Altitude, or temp movement. I had no trouble getting it to shoot small, I even shot a .160" 10 shot in that wind at the Nationals. I must say I need work on that high speed wind. The gun stayed in good tune all match abit hard to be too definitive in a hard wind, but it stayed in tune in the tunnel also.

Tuner essentials: 1 lb is enough, it needs to be marked so you can repeat a movement. It needs to be stainless. They are a pain in the butt to make and get marked so I had a bunch made for me and my friends.

Attachments

• DSCN2572.jpg
    DSCN2572.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCN2566.jpg
    DSCN2566.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCN2573.jpg
    DSCN2573.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 303
  • DSCN2570.jpg
    DSCN2570.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 337
Stewart,
As I understand it, Your tuner is a behind the muzzle similar to a Beggs
It appears that you have the outside Knurled, no holes

I reciently went through all the pain to design and test a rail gun tuner, then have some made. After a couple of prototypes, and testing I settled on a 1 lb tuner 1/2lb on each disk. I tested the final in Gene Beggs tunnel for two full days and shot it at the nationals.
Ralph, do you know what the weight of Jay Lynns Rail tuner weighs? It is as big as the muffler on a dump truck.

Knured is correct, no holes and is behind the muzzle although I regularly roll them out beyond to the limit of the threads. We have no trouble locking them together, and if you get too frisky you will have trouble getting them apart and have to turn them until they come apart at the end of the barrel. No real issues with this design.

Jerry, Jay did make a cool one before I finished having these made up. His has an oring inside to hold it on the setting, but I do not remember how he indexed it and marked it, if he did. His is at least as heavy as these or more, but I do not remember how much more.

One thing, both Jay Lynn and I have not had problems others have had with shooting fast. I cannot really explain, except we just have not had that problem. Jay normally shoots much faster than I do.

One thing, both Jay Lynn and I have not had problems others have had with shooting fast. I cannot really explain, except we just have not had that problem. Jay normally shoots much faster than I do.

One thing to consider on those having trouble shooting fast with a tuner on a rail gun. Remember what I told you some time ago about tuner weight and how the amount of weight, not weight shift, controls tune?

Back