Tuner construction?

TrxR

Since Ive looked and cant seem to find any centerfire tuners that are available in Canada does anyone know of anywhere I can get pictures of how some of the centerfire tuners are built ?

The only tuner Ive ever used is a harrels rimfire tuner. With the centerfire tuners is the there a collar or anything that is fixed in place on the barrel that never moves or is the whole tuner moved in or out when adjusted?

Here is mine. One has a rubber lined marine bearing pressed on the tuner body, the other has a piece of hard rubber pressed on. These act as a vibration dampener.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22874&stc=1&d=1568061314

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22875&stc=1&d=1568061490

It's a one piece design, it clamps directly to the barrel byway of a .900 36 TPI. The two 6-32 socket head screws secure it.

To make it, take a pice of 1 3/4 aluminum, machine the body and drill and bore it to about .025 inch of the minor thread diameter. The body is 1.155 inch. With a hacksaw, put a slit about 3/4 inch down the body. Put the tuner in a mill, countersink for the pinch bolts, drill through the top half with clearance for a 8/32 screw, then drill and tap the lower. Install the screws, then chuck the tuner back up and thread the ID to .900 36tpi.
Press a 1 1/8 ID marine cutless bearing onto body.

https://www.ebay.com/i/352381907642...MI3eCqkdHE5AIVmv_jBx3CRQcNEAQYCSABEgJE4fD_BwE

To get the desired weight, Machine the brass shell of the bearing to the desired thickness after you attach it to the barrel. (Or Machine a mandrel). My tuners come out to about 5 ounces.

There are multitudes of tuners out there. Some are two piece, some one piece, some have a snubber feature like mine, others don't.

The only two tuners I have personal knowledge of and know they work is the Buky's and the Ezwell.

Attachments

• IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 468
  • IMG_0613.JPG
    IMG_0613.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 472
Last edited:
Here is mine. One has a rubber lined marine bearing pressed on the tuner body, the other has a piece of hard rubber pressed on. These act as a vibration dampener.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22874&stc=1&d=1568061314

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22875&stc=1&d=1568061490

It's a one piece design, it clamps directly to the barrel byway of a .900 36 TPI. The two 6-32 socket head screws secure it.

To make it, take a pice of 1 3/4 aluminum, machine the body and drill and bore it to about .025 inch of the minor thread diameter. The body is 1.155 inch. With a hacksaw, put a slit about 3/4 inch down the body. Put the tuner in a mill, countersink for the pinch bolts, drill through the top half with clearance for a 8/32 screw, then drill and tap the lower. Install the screws, then chuck the tuner back up and thread the ID to .900 36tpi.
Press a 1 1/8 ID marine cutless bearing onto body.

https://www.ebay.com/i/352381907642...MI3eCqkdHE5AIVmv_jBx3CRQcNEAQYCSABEgJE4fD_BwE

To get the desired weight, Machine the brass shell of the bearing to the desired thickness after you attach it to the barrel. (Or Machine a mandrel). My tuners come out to about 5 ounces.

There are multitudes of tuners out there. Some are two piece, some one piece, some have a snubber feature like mine, others don't.

The only two tuners I have personal knowledge of and know they work is the Buky's and the Ezwell.

Thanks Jackie---Mike Ezwell (sp)

The newer Beggs tuner

Since Ive looked and cant seem to find any centerfire tuners that are available in Canada does anyone know of anywhere I can get pictures of how some of the centerfire tuners are built ?

The only tuner Ive ever used is a harrels rimfire tuner. With the centerfire tuners is the there a collar or anything that is fixed in place on the barrel that never moves or is the whole tuner moved in or out when adjusted?

is knurled on the outside now and has a scribed scale on the rear of it to aid in adjustment. It comes with a thin rubber washer to fit between the two threaded halved. It weighs about 4 oz. A friend has one and is using it without the rubber washer and is able to easily keep his HV barrel in tune with it. He has won several IBS Score aggs. this season using it. Simplicity at it's finest is my opinion of the tuner. I've watched him tune with it a couple of times this summer, easy peasy I thought.

is knurled on the outside now and has a scribed scale on the rear of it to aid in adjustment. It comes with a thin rubber washer to fit between the two threaded halved. It weighs about 4 oz. A friend has one and is using it without the rubber washer and is able to easily keep his HV barrel in tune with it. He has won several IBS Score aggs. this season using it. Simplicity at it's finest is my opinion of the tuner. I've watched him tune with it a couple of times this summer, easy peasy I thought.

fun to play with different "stuff" in between........ PTFE and UHMW come to mind. And a brass washer has interesting properties.

And tapping a setscrew into one half is an option

Last edited:
fun to play with different "stuff" in between........ PTFE and UHMW come to mind. And a brass washer has interesting properties.

And tapping a setscrew into one half is an option

It is the mass that alters the location of the barrel vibration nodes.

This is one place you are looking for mass.

if 4oz will tune a HV barrel, and it seems to, not much weight is needed.

Pete

LOL!

It's like bangin' yer bean against a boulder, this one. There are a bunch of rabid believers here who feel "weight is everything" with no appreciation for nor thought of configuration. Like "how it's shaped don't matter!" it just needs to be the magic WEIGHT!

Offsets? "nawwww"

Diameters? "nawww"

Weight? Caliber? Discipline? "nawwww"

Fore? Aft? Below the bore? Above the bore? Abaft the beam?, "nawwwww. totally irrelevant!"

It's like The Age Old Question.... is the answer to everything 21 3/4? .....Or 42?..... I've learned to just answer "YES!"

4 to 5 oz

is all you need to tune a typical LV-HV bag gun. The Beggs and Loker tuner are very simple in design, easy to install, no POI change with movement, no patches laying in the tuner after cleaning.
I will go to 8 oz on a UL bbl.

Richard

I saw a tuner

on an unlimited Rimfire Rifle that weighed 37 lbs. Did it work? yes. He asked me to shoot the rifle. I did and threw a shot. He said, "don't touch anything but the trigger". I only touched the trigger for the second shot and it went where it was suppose to. Touchy outfit, that one. Me, I'd rather have less weight and be able to touch the rifle but all of em work. cant bring the fellow's name to mind right now but he holds an indoor record with that rifle.

Pete

LOL!

It's like bangin' yer bean against a boulder, this one. There are a bunch of rabid believers here who feel "weight is everything" with no appreciation for nor thought of configuration. Like "how it's shaped don't matter!" it just needs to be the magic WEIGHT!

Offsets? "nawwww"

Diameters? "nawww"

Weight? Caliber? Discipline? "nawwww"

Fore? Aft? Below the bore? Above the bore? Abaft the beam?, "nawwwww. totally irrelevant!"

It's like The Age Old Question.... is the answer to everything 21 3/4? .....Or 42?..... I've learned to just answer "YES!"

Surrounding the bore is what you want.

Symmetry really matters in vibration behavior.

Since the bullet is NOT going to touch the weight most of the other
things are not all that important.

One thing that can be important is having the weight be able to
extend past the muzzle slightly without touching the bullet.

While tedious to set up, the vibration modelling is NOT all that hard.
The first generations of SW darn near did require PhD to operate.
The newer ones are a lot easier.
Things like 'meshing' that establishes the small volumes for the system
to model on is reasonable automated.

You decide on error limits, mesh the structure, then run the simulation and look at the results.
The next step is often to just halve the size of the cells and run again.
See if there are major changes.
If they line up well you probably have a good setup.
Use the courser mash to speed things up.

Many of the tools will produce a 'movies' of the vibration, with whatever exaggeration in movement you want to view it.
Or even color shading on the surface of the object by displacement.

Surrounding the bore is what you want.

Symmetry really matters in vibration behavior.

Since the bullet is NOT going to touch the weight most of the other
things are not all that important.

One thing that can be important is having the weight be able to
extend past the muzzle slightly without touching the bullet.

While tedious to set up, the vibration modelling is NOT all that hard.
The first generations of SW darn near did require PhD to operate.
The newer ones are a lot easier.
Things like 'meshing' that establishes the small volumes for the system
to model on is reasonable automated.

You decide on error limits, mesh the structure, then run the simulation and look at the results.
The next step is often to just halve the size of the cells and run again.
See if there are major changes.
If they line up well you probably have a good setup.
Use the courser mash to speed things up.

Many of the tools will produce a 'movies' of the vibration, with whatever exaggeration in movement you want to view it.
Or even color shading on the surface of the object by displacement.

Here we will disagree.... keenly

I have many offset tuners, right now all my tuners but one include offset WEIGHTING systems to not only purposely mis-align them, keep them from "surrounding the bore" because....

bores aren't straight ;)

The other thing is or may be

where on the barrel to place the weight. I have a couple of upper end Air Rifles and use movable tuners that will slide up and down the barrel. Both of them tune with the weight just forward of the fore stock. 1 oz these weights weigh. One is of SS and the other of alumieum as my dear friend Lorenzo use to say. Tuners are still in their infancy I believe.

Pete

Here we will disagree.... keenly

I have many offset tuners, right now all my tuners but one include offset WEIGHTING systems to not only purposely mis-align them, keep them from "surrounding the bore" because....

bores aren't straight ;)

All an offset will do is alter the fundamental vibration to be more elliptical and not as circular.
Have you tried symmetrical tuners of similar wight on those barrels?
All that matters is the actual straightness over the last bullet length of the barrel.
The path the bullet (and barrel) take getting there makes very little difference.

All an offset will do is alter the fundamental vibration to be more elliptical and not as circular.
Have you tried symmetrical tuners of similar wight on those barrels?
All that matters is the actual straightness over the last bullet length of the barrel.
The path the bullet (and barrel) take getting there makes very little difference.

As I said..... we disagree...... keenly

You wrote 4 lines.

I disagree with all of them except #2 which I'll answer simply "yes" (I'll forego the obligatory "are you freaking KIDDING me???")

Back