trigger options

S

steve b.

besides a jewell, what's the next most popular choice on Rem 700 varmint rifles?

s.

I just installed two Rifle Basix triggers in Savage 12 LRPV actions. I was pretty darned impressed!

They came with a DVD to show the step-by-step actions needed and there were no "magical" pauses while something was done not on camera. Easy installation, BUT the DVD stopped without telling you how to best adjust the trigger screw system to maximize the triggers. Even with out these last instructions, I was able to get both triggers down to a nice crisp 5 ounces with no creep, no over travel, and they will repeat. I was impressed - now we will see how they do over a long period. Both are in F-Class guns with BR stocks or I would not have tuned them so light. The kit comes with two trigger springs in case you want a heavier pull. In my case they were SAV-2 triggers for $137.70 each.

http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?searchStr=Rifle+Basix&_a=viewCat&Submit=Go

George

Last edited:
Got Shilens in two of mine and I think they are great. I am running them at around 14-16 oz. No travel and very crisp. If I get another M700, it will get a Shilen for field applications. Tim

I have a Shilen competition model that's several years old in one of my Remington 700s and like it quite well. Initially, I felt like it was too light to be considered really reliable with the stock bolt and cocking piece. It used to follow through unless the bolt was handled very gently. Once I replaced the bolt with one from PT&G and the firing pin assembly with the GreTan model from Brownells, I have found it to be a lot better. It's still light, which is fine with me, but the tendency of following through is gone. I can even smack the butt stock on the floor and it holds. Although I hadn't considered it before, it seems the fine trigger works even better with a more precise bolt assembly.

I changed the bolt because the rifle came as a .220 Swift and I lost interest in that cartridge. I converted it to the .20 Beggs, so I needed a bolt with the PPC bolt face. I learned a lot.

good day:
what about a timney.
i installed one on my rem 788(.222) and on my rem 660(.243) and love them.
i have them both set at 3.25lbs and they are very crisp and clean.

Z

Why would you use a 1.5oz trigger on a 700 varmint rifle?
Butch

Butch, If one never intends on taking the rifle in the field, under adverse conditions where one might get cold fingers, or wear gloves then the trigger pull is great. For shooting off the bench only, Great, but IMO that light is totally unsafe for any thing else. Period. Dont know why you should change it out, I take mine to a good smith and have em cleaned up. All are factory and have a clean, crisp break at 2.5 lbs. Great for field work of all kinds.

DR

Howdy Butch,

I have been using Jewells for quite a while on my rock chuck and prarie dog rifles. Most of the shooting is either done from the prone position, or from a portable shooting bench. I don't use that kind of trigger for a walk around rifle, but then again I only use single shot rifles or single load them, and I don't load them until I have a critter picked out. I have never been fond of relying on a mechanical safety to keep a rifle from going off. I figure that i'll load it when I'm ready for the shot. With that, the Jewells have worked very well. I was just lookin for something different to try. I think I'm gonna try a Shilen next.

I prefer the Anschutz trigger over anything else, but they are rather spendy to install on every rifle. The last time I checked they were running about $350 or so for a 5018 trigger.

Back