tpi to M

We're working on it, and will be completely metric within six years. At least that's what I was told some 40 years ago...

GsT

6 years? Do you know what president first proposed that we go to the metric system? It was Thomas Jefferson.

I'm 100% with alla' you'se supporting US, The United States Of America DOING WHAT WE DO..... Who givesacrap what Europe does, and especially dysfunctional England.........they've gone from "The Sun Never Goes Down On The British Empire"

to, "the sun never fully rises in the land of tears"

Go Boris .......... get'cher country back man!

I remember a quote, "There are two types of countries in the world, those that use the metric system... and the one that put a man on the moon!"

That's pretty funny as the entire guidance and control systems for Apollo were metric. All of the guidance software for the AGC were programmed using metric figures (because the math was simpler and meant smaller programs). The software engineers then had to apply conversion factors on the output so the pilots had US figures.. :rolleyes:
These days of course the international standards for measurement are all in metric SI units which means that all US measurement systems are referenced from metric SI units.

Being Australian i was trained entirely in the metric system.. But honestly it's not difficult to understand and use the US system, so one assumes that good US tradesmen would have no problems going the other way.:)

Cheers
Leeroy

it is my belief that the brain is just like the body in that "ya USE it, or LOSE it"

Making stuff "easy" has never been the recipe for success...... in anything IMO

It seems to me

that we are making things a lot more difficult than they have to be by not recognizing a good thing when we see it. Foolish to stay entrenched in the 64 ths system regardless of the Moon.

Pete

that we are making things a lot more difficult than they have to be by not recognizing a good thing when we see it. Foolish to stay entrenched in the 64 ths system regardless of the Moon.

Pete

Drawings and machine tools have been in decimal inches for a very long time for precision work.

Think micro-inches for super precise things.
One millionth of an inch, 1E-6 inch.

Not to be confused with a micron.
That is a millionth of a meter.
A far larger length.

Back