Torx Head screw

Chism G

Well ,it finally happened. I have stripped A torx head screw in a scope ring base. There are two screws in the ring base. One on each side. The screw driver no longer grips one of the screws sufficiently to remove it. Ring base is attached to Action. Is there a way to remove it without damage to the threads in base. I've got my drill bit ready just in case no other option works. TIA.

I hate these Torx screws.

Glenn

Perhaps some abrasive grit on a new correct size bit and heat applied to the ring base will do it... remove the other screw first...

Do you know if Loctite was used?

Nothing better than Torx screws in my opinion. There is a reason to use a torque wrench on these screws... 21 inch pounds I believe.

No loctite. I;ved moved this scope from one rifle to the next several times. These Torx screws are great till you strip one. Looks like I'm gonna have to drill it out. May try to find one of them reverse thread screw extractor doo hickey's. It shouldn't happen,but I'm as clumsy as a Bull in a China Store. No type screw is strip proof around me.

Glenn

Use an insert type torx bit the next size larger and tap it in with a hammer. You may find that an allen head, either SAE or Metric might also work. If it had Loctite used on it, heat the head with a soldering iron first to try and soften it. Last choice is to drill the head off with a left hand twist drill, this should leave just enough to grab with a vise grip.

If you take one screw out the other should be loose . The last thing you should need is a Drill .
As stated a Allen will work . and the torque is 12 inch pounds per Kelbly .

Drill the head of the screw off, remove base and grab the portion of the screw left sticking out of the action with vise grips and remove it. Drill with a 3/16 drill until the head spins and stop don't drill too deep. Good luck!

Thanks for the responses. It's gotta be drilled. The screws are counter sunk in the bottom half of the ring, One on each side. Loosening one screw has no effect on the other. I've decided to leave it like it is for now. Gotta watch what I'm doing in the future.

Glenn

In the future grease the threads and the head. It will still stay tight and be easier to remove.

Just mill the head off the screw. Get a bit the same size as the screw head. Takes about 5 minutes. Does not hurt the base or the rifle.

I have a friend bring an old rifle that the screws were rusty. Milled the heads off - installed new screws. Presto - fixed.

Back