Tool making day. . .

Gene,

Here is a photo of one use for a barrel spinner, but not a good example of proper technique. I was smoothing out the transition area on a barrel that I had re-contoured without a taper attachment.

Normally the barrel is held at more of a diagonal angle when polishing.

Jim

MontgomeryCCmachineriflecourse006co.jpg

Jim;

I swear, that room looks like the one at Montgomery Community College..??

Jerry

Revision I

Changed the outside profile a little. Should make hanging onto them a bit easier. Also decided to fully contour all the little edges. If anyone else hates nicks/cuts as much as I do they'll appreciate this right away.

DSC_0020-4.jpg

I gotz one order already. Anymore takers?

Cheers,

C

That is one slick looking barrel vise and set of inserts, I like it. What is the price of that set? What is the size range on the bushing set?

By the way, that is the most ingenious barrel vise I've seen in 50 plus years.

Be proud be vary proud of that.:D

Spinners done

Here's the finished product. Changed a few things. Added an O ring to the centers so they stay put yet come out easy.

Seems to work good. I took an inventory barrel and she cleaned up nice and quick.

One comment. A lathe will certainly work for putting the fluff and buff on a gun barrel. However, it makes me cringe a bit at the thought of all that abrasive material being deposited right down on a precision ground surface that's designed to keep the carriage straight and square with the chuck. This would be why no abrasives are allowed anywhere near my turning centers. If a guy has the shop space and the financial resources to dedicate a machine solely to polishing then by all means go for it.

This tool is intended for those that don't.

cheers and all the best,

Chad

Chad Dixon
Gunmaker
LongRifles, Inc

DSC_0028-1.jpg

DSC_0030-2.jpg

DSC_0031-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry,

You are absolutely correct. I was there for a couple of the NRA courses.

You will recognize this photo as well.

Jim
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Yep!!
Spent most of the day in there today...:)

Jerry

Jerry,

You are absolutely correct. I was there for a couple of the NRA courses.

You will recognize this photo as well.

Jim

MontgomeryCCmachineshopcourse035cop.jpg

Jim or Jerry,

Have either of you had a chance to run one of the Acra Turn 1440 SVS lathes that are pictured on the right? If so, what were your impressions?

Thanks,
Justin

Jim or Jerry,

Have either of you had a chance to run one of the Acra Turn 1440 SVS lathes that are pictured on the right? If so, what were your impressions?

Thanks,
Justin

Justin,

Why yes, I did have the opportunity to use several of the Acra 1440's :D. I can't say that I am qualified to give an informed opinion, but in my non-professional opinion I found the ones that I used to be quite solid/rigid and accurate. Chambering and threading were no problem from a machine standpoint. Altering the barrel contour was no strain on the lathe either.

These machines take a beating from some students, and mostly keep right on working.

I would be happy to use one in my shop if the floor would support it, but I will get by fine with my South Bend Heavy 10 for a while :).

Jim

Chad, I'm sorry!!! I didn't mean to hijack your thread. You have some great looking products there. I would love to have one of each, but alas, the economy makes that impractical right now :(.

Jim or Jerry,

Thanks,
Justin

Justin; Yes I have spent a lot of time on them.. As Jim has said, they are very versatile, smooth running machines, living in a tough environment. I considered buying one, after I first used them 2007, but decided on the Grizzly G0509G instead, which I am quite pleased with.. I spent all day today on the college's new Acer Supra 618 Surface Grinder... wow!! super nice, super accurate machine...I am very impressed..It was in place last year, but had not been wired up..so didn't get to try it.. I am always amazed at the lack of appreciation that surface grinders seem to receive in gun smith shops.. I think bench grinders get better care.
I cherish mine and it is the most used machine in my shop..couldn't live with out it..

Jerry

Chad, Jim, and Jerry,

First off, Chad, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread a bit. If I ever get back your way, I'll look you up and buy you a beer. Hopefully all will be forgiven.

Jim and Jerry. Thanks for your responses. The reason I asked is because I have a brand new Acra 1440 SVS in my shop and have yet to hook it up and run it (it's only been 3 or so years...don't want to get in a rush). The Acra lathe was highly recommended to me by numerous dealers when I was on the lathe prowl. They all carried several other brands, but they all were fans of Acra. So one popped up priced right a couple years later, and I bought it. When I get it running and have spent some time on it, I'll post a report.

Thanks,
Justin

Back