Too old?

Tom W

Just turned 64 and have been a trapshooter for most of my adult life. I would like to have a benchrest gun built and start benchrest competition, but concerned at my age the timeframe to learn the sport and be somewhat competitive would take too long.

Any honest imput would be appreciated.

I guess you're as old as you feel, there are plenty of guys shooting much older than this. Hell, this is why you worked all those years, get a gun and have fun. Worst that happens is you sell the gun.

Never too old

I'm 65 1/2 and I shoot a 6BR in benchrest. I'm not too old by any means and there are others at my local club who are older than I am. So get out there and have some fun. If you want to "try it before you buy it" get something cheap that will shoot and go for it. I've got a Savage MKII with scope and it's fun; not as accurate as I would like for competition, but also a lot less than an Anschutz!

Dennis

Just turned 64 and have been a trapshooter for most of my adult life. I would like to have a benchrest gun built and start benchrest competition, but concerned at my age the timeframe to learn the sport and be somewhat competitive would take too long.

Tom,

Go for it!

If you are willing to put in the time, and yes the money, (no more than other hobbies such as golf) you can become competitive in a very short period of time.

Age will not limit your success. Be sure to have your eyes checked, and take care of any vision problems. Get good equipment and put in the time necessary to learn to use it.

Don't wait until you think you are good enough to go to the big matches. Go right now, you will learn more at the big matches. Watch what the other shooters do, copy them until you feel you can make your own improvements to your shooting routine.

Competition today is tough, it takes a lot of effort. If you put in the work you will get the reward.

Tony

If you can find someone selling a good used competitive set up that includes the ammo the gun is tuned for then that is what I would recommend.

You should also check out the local clubs you plan on shooting at. Some are a lot more serious [ $$$ ] than others and you need to determine in advance what level you will contented with.

I bet you wll be below the average age of your competition

I would agree with Don about being below the average age. I think the main consideration for you (besides the upcoming giant sucking sound emanating from your wallet) is how good are your eyes. That's the number one complaint you'll hear. If you have vision issues the Sporter class in IR50/50 will give you fits. You can use whatever scope you want after that and should be okay.

Tom,
If you can drive yourself to the range and carry your rifle to the line, or get someone to carry it for you, you aren't too old. Since you've shot trap a long time, I'm guessing you're of the competitive nature, as most of the rest of us are.

There is a learning curve, especially accepting that a little wind change or condition change can move a bullet so much.

I don't know your location, but if you'd post it, I'm sure some of the folks would gladly invite you to a match to view equipment and answer any questions you might have. Lots of fine people in this game, that are joy to hang out with, and that's the only reason I've stayed with it. Normally I get bored quickly. You'll meet some nice folks.

Never too old

I've been beaten by many a competitor, that was older than dirt. I won some of my biggest matches after the age of 60. You could have an advantage on leading the target when the wind blows. Come on in, it gets better with age.

Too Old

Thanks for all the encouragement. I think I will give it a try and see how it goes.

I'm sure it is expensive, but when compared to the cost of competitive trap guns and the amount of shells we use annually, I don't think I will be shocked.

Thanks for all the replies.

Tom Wilkinson
Oxford, NC

Old

Thanks for all the encouragement. I think I will give it a try and see how it goes.

I'm sure it is expensive, but when compared to the cost of competitive trap guns and the amount of shells we use annually, I don't think I will be shocked.

Thanks for all the replies.

Tom Wilkinson
Oxford, NC
I started a 70 and am having a ball
Fred

Tom,
If you have been around the trap game long you have heard of Brett Robinson. A great trap shooter. Brett shoots CF BR and is a great shooter. He doesn't make a lot of matches, but he is one to beat.

I do know Britt well, he was a great shot, very fast. 500 straight squads are rare in trap, all five shooters have to break 100 straight targets from the 16 yard line on the same squad. One year at the Grand which is the National shoot, Britt shot last and missed his last target for a 499 squad, all he said was " how bout that". He still gives classes in trapshooting.

Here's an age problem -- I saw this post when I went to "new posts" and didn't see it was RF rather than CF. So, my first post (right here, now deleted) was inappropriate. But then, I'm not a 64-year old youngster anymore, either...

However... Tom, You can still get up with Joel Pendergraft. There is a 2nd-Sat-of-the-month informal BR match at the Wake Firearms Training Center Indoor range, and I can lend you a competitve RF bench gun, too. What I am not sure of is whether or not you have to take the safety course before you can shoot.

If you're the trap-shooting Tom W I'm thinking of, a number of the old Durham Wildlife Club people are involved at the Wake range, Joel or Fritz could fill you in more. Joel is now a full-time gunsmith, and has an internet site. (BTW, he set a benchrest 1,000 yard World Record a few years back, before returning to his love of 3-gun...)

Joel can also get up with me if you want to borrow a rifle to shoot a match with.

http://www.pendergraftgunworks.com/

The rest of my now deleted post still applies. As I'm sure you know, being competitive is a mater of desire, not age. If the fire is there, you can compete at the National level. And benchrest is shot sitting down...

Last edited:
Tom W in Oxford:

Just remembered the "Private Messaging" feature of BR Central, & sent you one.

Charles Ellertson

Age is not a factor in benchrest unless you have other medical problems. I'm 75 and travel a bit from my home range; thats a 530 mile round trip twice a month. My shooting got better once they got rid of the cataracts; arthritis (post op knee replacement and both shoulders repaired) is my only problem and shooters are great guys; they'll set you up and get you all set to shoot a match. Come out and enjoy life after looking into consequences (financial) of getting into this sport. You'll meet great people and have fun (and spend money).
Bob Pekaar

Tom Becareful !!!!

This maybe a TRICK !!!

I happen to know some of the guys who have replied to your post. Most I am sure are older than your 64 years.

These Gentlemen are very competitive, and some extremly good shooters, they would LOVE to beat a young man like yourself !!!

All joking aside get yourself a gun or come borrow one of ours, we would like to have you join our sport.

Hope to meet you at a match soon!!!

Tim

PS I am sure oneday you will find out some of them used to shoot a little trap also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom,
You're 64 years young. Never to early to try something new. Go to a match and talk it up with the guys and gals. Benchrest is quite a bit different than trap, but all the principles of accurate still apply. Thank goodness our little .25 inch target doesn't move!!!!

I think you could get into this.

Best,
Michael

Back