Tomball Gun Club Revamping Range.

Benches

Post#14.

From what I heard today, we'll have at least 20 benches for 100 and 200 yard shooting -- maybe a couple more.

Some are curious if this new project will also include new benches?

Glenn

Shooting at MGGOA this winter. May shoot SWL next winter. Getting ready for the Shamrock for the next month or so. 72 & sunny

Ray, for the 20 or so years I have been a member, flags on the low numbered benches could easily be set at two feet or higher and still be well beneath the target frames. Admittedly, the higher numbered benches had a problem. Hence, the large rebuild to eliminate that and other problems. I sincerely hope any problem(s) you have had in the past re: setting flags will have been resolved. And, BTW, you won't have to worry anymore about the low-numbered benches as we are going to loose a few of them, probably Nos 1, 2, and 3.

As far as camping on the range property, our range rules specify that the range can be used/accessed between sunrise and sunset only -- all activities outside those times are prohibited. But, driving around the Tomball area I see a whole bunch of sites where guests can camp and still have easy access to the range during the available hours.

For further info re: the TGC range rules, please refer to the TGC website URL I posted previously.

fgo

yes, i know your situation. but camping somewhere else and packing up to move every day is a non starter for me. [ health trouble are building up]
it is a shame because i would show up once a year.

"improver drainage"

that sounds like you cant use you sail boat when it rains, either!

but on the other hand plain ol muck boots might be enough instead of hippers.

That is a beautiful place to shoot. Shooting North I guess and grass. We don't have grass on our range here in San Angelo but we do have wind.

Concho Bill

Love the grass our range is all sandy and the mirage is horrific coming off of it and from late June to September over a 100 degrees and at its worst.

Love the grass our range is all sandy and the mirage is horrific coming off of it and from late June to September over a 100 degrees and at its worst.

It’s not grass as of yet. It’s that green stuff impregnated with seed that they spray on to facilitate rapid growth.

We are in the target frame planning stage now. The fact that we don’t want anything metallic on the frames presents a little bit of a challenge.

An update

The dirt work is complete. Grass has been seeded and the rye grass is showing up in places. The bermuda that was also seeded probably won't be coming up until later in the spring. HOPEFULLY we can get it all growing and have green pretty much everywhere by Summer.

Several of us built and installed backers today -- 200 yd, 100 yd (movable), and 50 yd ones. We had to deferr on the 25-yd backers to see how high they needed to be, waiting on the installation of the 50-yd backers.

Pics are attached. I'm not sure when the range will be re-opened -- hopefully really soon. It looks a lot different, as those of you who have been there can see.
g

Attachments

• FGO_3721.jpg
    FGO_3721.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 182
  • FGO_3722.jpg
    FGO_3722.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 169
Back