Tomball Gun Club Revamping Range.

jackie schmidt

Our membership voted last year to greatly improve the Tomball Gun Club to include leveling the range, improving the drainage, and raising the Burm to 25 feet, extending the 50 yard pistol Burm, and building side Burns on the right hand side.

It’s going to be much nicer when finished.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24318&stc=1&d=1611190098

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24319&stc=1&d=1611190158

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24320&stc=1&d=1611190207

Attachments

• 97C85C13-3F1B-4081-8718-226D8E6E2C04.jpg
    97C85C13-3F1B-4081-8718-226D8E6E2C04.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 435
  • F1C1017D-68D9-47C3-AE65-2767F5275FF5.jpg
    F1C1017D-68D9-47C3-AE65-2767F5275FF5.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 475
  • 3CCAFF84-02FA-4151-85C9-E965FAECA6E2.jpg
    3CCAFF84-02FA-4151-85C9-E965FAECA6E2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 494
This has to cost a few bucks. Can you show us some pics when it's finished?
Thanks

Mort

This has to cost a few bucks. Can you show us some pics when it's finished?
Thanks

Mort

Of course I will post some.

The actual dirt work is about 90 percent done now. The Board of Directors are meeting this week end to see what kind of 100 and 200 yard frames we want.

One thing we are looking into is totally non metallic frames to avoid any chance of ricochettes.

Jackie, I've always loved shooting at Tomball, but the pea gravel around the firing line and the covered reloading area just wears you out after a day trudging through it.
How is that for a long sentence.

Jackie, I've always loved shooting at Tomball, but the pea gravel around the firing line and the covered reloading area just wears you out after a day trudging through it.
How is that for a long sentence.

Butch, we removed that pee gravel several years ago. It is much nicer now.

Jackie, I don't know who insures your club but when I was shooting trap we got a good deal from the NRA. Crushed rock is easier to walk on than pebbles. If you get enough fines with the rock it will pack in real tight. Just a thought.

Mort

Jackie, I don't know who insures your club but when I was shooting trap we got a good deal from the NRA. Crushed rock is easier to walk on than pebbles. If you get enough fines with the rock it will pack in real tight. Just a thought.

Mort

Jackie, This might be a good time to pour a concrete floor. Done right, It is good and final. A few years from now no one will remember the cost.

Bill Wynne

Range is looking good Jackie. Might be a bit of mirage for a while though. Looking forward to shooting there.

Joe

Mort

We are a NRA affiliated Club. All members must be NRA members.

Tomball

One of the toughest ranges in the region to shoot,gets a face lift:)
I wonder if the new construction will change the reputation.

Any improvements to an existing facility is an investment in the sport.

Great news Jackie.

Glenn

Berm improvements are self preservation in todays legal atmosphere. The money spent to prevent a shot from leaving club property will pale from the cost of a round leaving club property for sure.

Take a look

If you want to see what's going on, you might want to check out the TGC website. The URL is <tgcwebsite.com>.

There are some pics, both ground level and from a drone, showing the dirtwork at TGC. They are from a few days ago. I've been told that updated pics will be posted periodically.

The dirt work to correct the drainage problem and to raise the 200-yd berm (it'll be 28-feet) is just about finished. I think I heard today at the Board meeting that hydro-mulching would be early to mid next week so we can get some grass growing on all that mud. An 8-foot fence is being installed completely around the property to more adequately secure the property from the rampant development immediately South and East of the range property.

The backer system has to be completely re-designed and installed -- everything was ripped out to get the grading done. There'll still be the 25, 50, 100, and 200 yard backers. A bunch of people are working on that to get the design and implementation "right" the first time. The 50-yd berm was also raised and extended.

From what I heard today, we'll have at least 20 benches for 100 and 200 yard shooting -- maybe a couple more.

I guess we can decide pretty soon whether or not this will make it easier or harder to shoot at TGC -- for sure it looks different. I think it is a great improvement. We'll be looking to see a bunch of you out there to shoot once we can get back to having some matches.

glen o.

when WIND is an issue, make smaller narrower frames...less for the wind to move around.
put a 2x6x( you pick the length..24/36/48) in a 6x8x(plus 6") box and fill with concrete. instant base.
pull out the 2x6 plant in ground level

when WIND is an issue, make smaller narrower frames...less for the wind to move around.
put a 2x6x( you pick the length..24/36/48) in a 6x8x(plus 6") box and fill with concrete. instant base.
pull out the 2x6 plant in ground level

Good advice, I'm sure they haven't thought of this.

Attachments

• EAEABA93-6A8E-4768-AC69-40A8225B107D.jpg
    EAEABA93-6A8E-4768-AC69-40A8225B107D.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 372
  • 9FA298DB-B889-43B2-86EB-CB4343E4F68D.jpeg
    9FA298DB-B889-43B2-86EB-CB4343E4F68D.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 439
Looks great. Hope to shoot it this year.

Yo! What up?
You and the Mrs. just buzzing around the south there????
Any definite plans or just trying to find a range to shoot???
It finally got cold up here. Hardly any snow. This might be the best winter, for humans, in a long time. In MI....

Back