Tikka T3 Action wrench??

alinwa

oft dis'd member
I'm tasked with rebarreling a Tikka T3. It's a kinda' hexagonal thing but not really. Silly me..... all my assumptions are wrong, I'm not comfortable using my Brownells wrenches, wedging or shimming them and Brownells doesn't seem to offer an adapter....

Anybody?? Where do I access an action wrench for this little guy?

I'm soi'tainly not looking forward to milling out an adapter!

TIA

al

Adams Custom Rifles...maybe...somewhat risky for a quick turnaround as he has an ailment of sorts.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.....I might just try the epoxy trick, I know the runaround, but this is a wimpy little receiver so ANY FLEX scares me some.

Wilbur I'll call the guy

In my experience, Tikka barreled actions need to be separated with a lathe. If I have to change one, I won't attempt to pull them apart without a cut in front of the receiver, it ain't worth the hassle, too dam tight. I don't think they make a cheater bar long enough to do any good with the wrench pictured.

In my experience, Tikka barreled actions need to be separated with a lathe. If I have to change one, I won't attempt to pull them apart without a cut in front of the receiver, it ain't worth the hassle, too dam tight. I don't think they make a cheater bar long enough to do any good with the wrench pictured.

Jim, this is exactly why I backed off! I jimmie-rigged it up with a Brownell wrench and shimstock, put enough pressure on it to QUIT

And asked my question here!

I've 5 of the pictured style wrenches, 5 different mfgrs, and can state as fact they're insufficient for my purpose. I keep having people telling me "but MINE is better!!"

And I've bent 'em all.

You are going to bite the bullet and scrap the barrel. Use a parting tool and cut a groove about.005-.010 in front of the receiver ring. While you still have it in low or back gear, get a 15" crescent wrench on the receiver flats and it will screw off with very little force necessary..

I made some wrenches

for my Rimfire actions. Essentially a round bar fit to the bore of the action and a shoulder bolt screwed into it that goes into the bolt handle cut. I milled a hex on the end of the body to accept a socket or box end wrench. Works pretty good.Probably wouldn't take anything that needs a relief cut to come loose though, I'm thinking.

Pete

Tikka actions are one of the easiest to remove, I take them of all the time, far less trouble than a Remington. I just flip the top on a Rem action wrench like I do any flat bottom receiver but I put the flat on top, give it a good stroke and they spin of!!

Ive removed literally dozens of Tikka actions from M55s through M590/595s to T3s - whats all the fuss about?

I can't remember a single one of them giving me any fuss at all, never have I seen the need to cut the barrel. Clamp them across the flats with a decent wrench and if you need to protect the finish a few layers of regular writing paper between the wrench face and the action will do that perfectly.

They break free with minimum effort on a well clamped barrel and a 24" long wrench.

I just took two off last week with the brownells wrench, clamp barrel with action upright, use one round action clamp on bottom and the wrench handle flat on top. I put an aluminum or mild steel shim on the top flat. Tighten wrench snug and make sure it's even side to side and doesn't rock. Then I use a 3lb aluminum mallet and give it a good whack. They pop loose with no real issue.

I use the Brownell's universal head as well, oriented correctly it won't smash the top rail. Custom turned barrel nut and with some fine grit from the blast cabinet mixed with oil to keep the barrel from slipping. Torqued on by factory apes...

Back