tight muzzle

If someone adapt the bushing that has a close fit in the muzzle end to a cleaning rod and insert through the barrel, will this show any tight spot?

Or will this damage the rifling?

Just a beginner trying to learn something...

If you are going to push a reamer bushing all the way through make sure the bore is well lubricated especially if it is a stainless barrel.

That reminds me of a time I was having issues with a 3 groove barrel from a fairly well known manufacturer. The bore gaged pretty good on both ends. Then I ground some gage pins into a triangular shape and found the groove diameter to be .003 larger on the muzzle end!!! :eek:

Joe, I'll bet that barrel was from just up the road. I bought one, in a group of 4 "normal" barrels. It took a 0.2386" bushing for the reamer. Shot great with Ed Watsons 750/65 bullets at 100 but didn't do well at 200 in Kelblys wind. It was a 15.5:1 twist.

EDIT- Using lead slug and gaging all the way through, then slug each end separately you can get a good idea of the groove diameter. Slugs can be used several times by inserting them in the bore then bumping them up tight. Eventually just throw them back in the melt pot. I keep one 4# pot just for pure lead to pour slugs.

Someone in the rimfire world sells lead slugs. I used to shoot about 10,000 lead bullets a year shooting IMHSA. I still pour 3,000 or so a year, Two grandkids with their 45's, 38/357's 9mm's and a 380 can burn up a goodly pour. My 45/200 mould is a H&G 6 cavity thankfully!! Point here being I know how to cast bullets and slugs.

Last edited:
Vic Swindlehurst, years ago, use to take a match barrel, turn the muzzle down about 6" to various degrees and freeze the barrel, heat the sleeve and install the sleeve unto the barrel and then turn it to the proper dimensions. This lasted about a year and then he dropped the procedure. I had one and it did not shoot any better then before. Your call.

I had a Kostyshn 30 Barrel

that had a noticeable choke in it and it shot extremely well. I am remembering the last two inches seemed to have a taper but that portion of the barrel was noticeably tighter than the rest of the barrel. It also had a larger bore than most of the other 30Cal barrels I have owned. The rifle was still shooting well the last report I had.

Pete

slug barrels

Boyd &all, I think more people are slugging barrels then you realize. people are buying 3-4 barrels and
slugging them . the ones that pass ;/? they keep, others are sold online. I bought barrels here on this
site that had lead in them, from people not knowing how to slug barrels. also was told by a few Br smiths
that ALL barrels going through there shop are slugged.
Lead slugs are available from Neco.
it's been going on for a long time.
ken

I use the Neco slugs and they work extremely well. No need to burn myself. I will say, one of the best shooting barrels I have owned, had two feelable loose spots. One spot was about 2 inches in front of the chamber, the other was about 12 inches in front of the chamber. A buddy of mine said I should send the barrel back. Im glad I didn't. For me, as long as I don't crown on a loose spot I haven't had any issues. Lee

Thanks guys

Being as its not a known issue im gunna have to give it a crack.just to see what happens. The thought is that a gain twist has a tight spot no matter where it's cut

Being as its not a known issue im gunna have to give it a crack.just to see what happens. The thought is that a gain twist has a tight spot no matter where it's cut

How is that theory derived? I only have one gain twist and it is 15-14.33 in 29". So when I finished it 15- 14.55 or so??

Back