tight chamber dilemma

( I was trying to use Norma brass and I got to thinking Winchester brass may be dimensionally smaller.) You didn't happen to actually check the case capacity by weighing the case then filling with water and weighing again did you. Then compare the different cases. Then again you may have a tight bore. Randy

Last edited:
To be a bit uncharitable, the original poster is trying to find a reamer design that will, amongst other things, make ejector marks on the brass go away.

I don't think that's possible with either reamer design, or changing brass.

We usually take those marks as a sign of too-high pressure. Sometimes you shoot that -- it is what wins or achieves another objective -- but we don't ever recommend it. It's just a choice you make, hopefully knowing all the consequences.

I guess you could make steelhead cases, that'd do it.

I agree that all the signs of a high pressure load are there. The poster said he could load up to 4000fps in the past with other barrels. Now he has a different barrel and expects the same results with the same load as in the older barrels. He lucked out on the first shot with the old load in a new barrel. Could have caused serious damage A loader must work up a new load with a new barrel, not all barrels are created the same and should not be assumed that they are the same internally. He may have to live with having a slower barrel. In which he has according to his last post.. Randy

Randy I never start shooting a new barrel with full house loads. I started this one 3 to 4 grains below the established maximum load. I have shot many guns, a lot of those being wildcats, never had this problem.There are many variables that come into play, but I still think the chamber dimensions are too tight. I will send the reamer in for a regrind for the next barrel. I will send a dummy round this time.

Back