Thread relief on tenon

Kinda off topic again but if one were to set back a barrel how much do you need to go? I have a ppc barrel with 650 rounds fired and it still is a shooter but i would like to freshen it up a bit. How far do i need to go to do this properly? I dont have a bore scope so i cant look inside to know for sure. Lee

My suggestion would be to look before you leap. You get one setback out of most barrels, doing it too early wastes barrel life ($$$). If accuracy hasn't deteriorated, don't do it yet just to be "doing something".

That said, 650 rounds seems like really short barrel life for something burning as little powder as a 6PPC. I'd think it would go at least 3X that.

Fitch

I'll take your word for it. That's a lot less than I'd have predicted.

Fitch
Fitch, Butch is being generous with the 900-1000 rounds figure. Most give out at about 600-750 depending on the load used/. I wore out 4 barrels last year at about 550-600 rounds with RL-10x. This year I'm shooting SPP210 (IMR4198) and it is not going to be much better. Neither of these powders, though, chase you up and down the clicker as much as V133. I hate that stuff.

I got so spend a couple of days at the Super Shoot with Ron Reiber, Product Manager of Hodgdon and he tells me they ahave a powder coming in early 2012 that sounds really promising for benchrest.

He is supposed to send Greg Walley and myself some to test this Winter.

I st a barrel back after the first 300-400 rounds, about .025, just to freshen the throat. I do this again after the next 300-400. I then, on the 3d time, cut the entire thread tenon off and treat it like a new blank.

This is not practicle unless you do your own work. Plus, the way I chamber my barrels in the beginning lends its self to easy set-up for setback.........jackie

So say this barrel is ready to set back, how far should a fella go, or is this an un answerable question

Fitch, Butch is being generous with the 900-1000 rounds figure. Most give out at about 600-750 depending on the load used/.

Wow. The barrel life cost per bang is significant. It wouldn't take too long for a serious benchrest shooter to make back the cost of a lathe and the tooling to just fit and chamber barrels (no action truing, just fit and chamber barrels). I'm used to hunting rifles that last a lot longer. But then so does the .30BR.

Fitch

Something else to remember -- there are "club match" barrels, "regional match" barrels, and "national match" level barrels. I believe it was Mr. B who remarked that a barrel capable of winning at the national level had 250-300 rounds worth of life. Most of us aren't national-level shooters, but a barrel no longer quite good enough for that kind of competition will still perform at club matches, and may for a period of time.

When you get a real good one, no matter what you shoot -- point blank or long range -- you should save it for big matches.

FWIW

So say this barrel is ready to set back, how far should a fella go, or is this an un answerable question
Each barrel presents a different case as not every barrel erodes the same per round fired. That said, if you are setting them back, go a full turn of the threads or multiples of a turn, 0.055" for 18 TPI, 0.062" for 16 TPI, etc. This brings any engraving/stenciling of caliber, neck diameter, etc., back to the same location.

I have been thinkin bout sending off a barrel or two to be Melonited. I havnt seen any point blank rifles sporting black barrels yet, is anyone out there doing any good with a Melonite/SBN barrel in short range?

JonathanK,
This is your contact. The barrels cost $60.
Send to :
MMI-Trutec, Inc.
2609 N. 12th Avenue
Paragould, Ar. 72450
ph 870-236-6920
Attn: Rodney Lanier

Maybe I can get Joel to post an email from the US Army regarding it. It goes into quite a bunch of detail about the process in both their battle weapons and match rifles. I have several black rifle barrels, but I am not an elite shooter. That has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the barrel treatment.
Butch

I think i may send them a barrel as well. Just how clean does the barrel have to be before i send it out? I can clean it to the best of my ability, but without a bore scope how would i know if it is? I sent a barrel to a fella around here a short time back that i would have bet was spotless but it had some copper in it and a little carbon. I just didnt know. How will that effect the treatment, or will it? Lee

Back