Thread relief groove to deep ???

D

dbergen

Hi everybody,
When chambering my latest barrel I cut the thread relief groove deeper than
normal.(measering error on my part)
dia is .945 now. Barrel is a Lothar Walther stainless and the chambering is
243 AI .

Is this still save or should I start over?
What is the min dia over the chamber to be save?
Thanks,
David

Your thread relief does not need to be deeper than the root diameter of the thread. (OD - Double Depth = Minor Diameter)

With a workable technique and practice you don't need a thread relief on most actions.

Depending on the length of that tenon (where the thread relief resides in relation to that part of the chamber it is over), would determine wall thickness.

Calculate your wall thickness using the thread minor diameter, then calculate your wall thickness at the point of your too-deep relief. That will give you an idea of where you are with that barrel.

Chamber wall thickness at the thinnest part is .236 per side
Normally I don't cut it as deep, but I made a mistake and ended up with this size.
David

Is this still save or should I start over?
What is the min dia over the chamber to be save?
Thanks,
David
If you have barrel length and taper left, as to not bother your intended use, to ease any doubts, I'd start over.

Your minimum diameter over the chamber question takes in too many variables to permit speculation. Factors like strength of the barrel material and intended chamber pressure, as examples.

Jerry is correct err on the side of safety. On the other hand, I personally wouldn't think twice about it. (but I'm a "wiald and crayyyze guy") the major diameter of the thread on a 1919A4 barrel is .868".

Steel is LW 50 .
Presure would be rather stiff concidering the Ackley chambering.
Still have some length left. Just have do to all the work over :( . Barrel is already chambered....

Think about it, the thread tenon on a Win 70 is 1"...take into account thread depth and the wall thickness is a bit less than what you have there. I wouldn't touch it.

David,
A quick calculation to a theoretical sharp root diameter on a 1 1/16-16 thread leaves a diameter of .937. While we know that threads have a small flat on them I don't see where .945 diameter would create any kind of problem.

Back