Thread of the receiver of Rem 700 Police

dan12

Hi guys, does anybody know what kind of thread is on receiver of Remington 700. I mean, 4 holes for the base. I need to clean this thread with screw-tap but here in europe nobody can tell me what is it.
Thanks

Dan

It is 6 x 48 unless someone has altered it. The vast majority of scope mount holes are 6 x 48.

Thanks guys ,is any International marking of this thread, I mean any ISO name or something ?

Dan

open them up a bit a make them whatever you need them to be. they will be stronger as well. Thats what i would do. Lee

Thanks guys ,is any International marking of this thread, I mean any ISO name or something ?

Dan

6 x 48 is unique to the firearms industry as well as 8 x 40. They are considered national special threads.

Dan

ASME B1.13M-2005 and ISO 68-1 are the starting places without a cross reference already made up. I'll do some more research to see what I can turn up, but your problem is probably easily solved by converting to metric threads. A 48 threads per inch US thread is a 0.53 mm metric pitch, and a 40 pitch US thread is 0.64 mm's metric, so they both fall in between the standard metric thread pitches. I didn't bother to look at the round off rules for the metric threads.

Last edited:
In Germany, try G. Reckangel. They are a manufacturer of all sorts of scope mounts, screws, and tools, and are of very high quality.

http://www.recknagel.de

On p. 155 of their downloadable catalog see:

"Gewindebohrer UNS 6-48 part nr. 00056-0648"

This is probably a taper tap, so if you need it to be a plug or bottom tap, just grind a few threads off the tip.

Thanks, guys for replies. Finally the situation is sorted out. My smith remade it for diameter of 4mm. It would take long time to get it in Slovakia so I had to sort it this way.Anyway, thanks.

Dan

Back