This IsAs Far From CNC Machining As You Can Get......

It doesn't look like there is much room to bore anything. Did you make the new pins?

Nice welding.

Yes, we made the pins, 8 total. They are 6" diameter, 17-4 H1150. Each pin has a end cap bolted on with two 7/8 bolts.

To bore those abutments, we cut an access hole in the side bulkhead in order to fish the bar into the hole and then bring it back into the holes to be bored, assembling all of the bearings, cutter head, strongbacks, and drive gear as I fed it through the holes. You can see the access hole in this picture. After I'm through, they weld the plate back in.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19088&stc=1&d=1487881152

As for those welds, this Barge carries a full ABS certification. All welders must be certified, and the Welds are with 7018 stick.

Attachments

• IMG_1522.JPG
    IMG_1522.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Bulkheads

Yes, we made the pins, 8 total. They are 6" diameter, 17-4 H1150. Each pin has a end cap bolted on with two 7/8 bolts.

To bore those abutments, we cut an access hole in the side bulkhead in order to fish the bar into the hole and then bring it back into the holes to be bored, assembling all of the bearings, cutter head, strongbacks, and drive gear as I fed it through the holes. You can see the access hole in this picture. After I'm through, they weld the plate back in.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19088&stc=1&d=1487881152

As for those welds, this Barge carries a full ABS certification. All welders must be certified, and the Welds are with 7018 stick.

How much room did you have on the other side of the bulkhead?

There are machinist's and then there are machinist's.

We had certified high pressure welder's at the shipyard and they made a few extra bucks. I think there was a small star on their hardhat. Not sure anymore.

How much room did you have on the other side of the bulkhead?

There are machinist's and then there are machinist's.

We had certified high pressure welder's at the shipyard and they made a few extra bucks. I think there was a small star on their hardhat. Not sure anymore.

There was plenty of room on the other side of that bulkhead, as it is an empty compartment. We just had to erect scaffolding to stand on. I had this planned into the time frame before I took the job.

There is really nothing "special" about doing this kind of machine work. You simply have to have have the equipment, (or be able to acquire it), and have the ability to see the entire job finished. That is where many go wrong, they get into a job and suddenly run into a problem that they did not foresee, resulting in lost time, and lost money.

We had a shaft arrive at our shop this week that another shop sent over from accross the river. They told the customer that they could rebuild it, but later found that the shaft was bent around 3/16 inch on the taper. They have no ability to do this type of straightening without severely damaging the shaft, so they sent it to us to straighten so they could then do a rebuild.

By the time they pay the trucking, and our straightening fee, they will probably loose money, because the only reason they got the job in the first place was they bid it cheap to get it. They failed to account for the unforeseen problems that can crop up that you have to have covered.

When I look at jobs and plan them, (that is one of my main functions in our business), I have to be able to insure the customer that I know exactly what I am doing and have all bases covered, so he has total confidence in my shops ability to solve his problems.

Last edited:
There was plenty of room on the other side of that bulkhead, as it is an empty compartment. We just had to erect scaffolding to stand on. I had this planned into the time frame before I took the job.

There is really nothing "special" about doing this kind of machine work. You simply have to have have the equipment, (or be able to acquire it), and have the ability to see the entire job finished. That is where many go wrong, they get into a job and suddenly run into a problem that they did not foresee, resulting in lost time, and lost money.

We had a shaft arrive at our shop this week that another shop sent over from accross the river. They told the customer that they could rebuild it, but later found that the shaft was bent around 3/16 inch on the taper. They have no ability to do this type of straightening without severely damaging the shaft, so they sent it to us to straighten so they could then do a rebuild.

By the time they pay the trucking, and our straightening fee, they will probably loose money, because the only reason they got the job in the first place was they bid it cheap to get it. They failed to account for the unforeseen problems that can crop up that you have to have covered.

When I look at jobs and plan them, (that is one of my main functions in our business), I have to be able to insure the customer that I know exactly what I am doing and have all bases covered, so he has total confidence in my shops ability to solve his problems.

Jackie,

I know you don't seem to think what you do is "special" but how many people with a machinery background can go out and bid the kind of jobs you do and be successful ? You stated all the reasons that others can fail but you avoid. If I was in your employ I would have to call that "special".

Back