This Forum Needs Help!

Hunter

Throwin' Up Spray
It seems that Wilbur's death left a huge "hole" in the forum. It's been over three months since the last member joined BRC, and several former frequent posters seem to have left the forum in search of "greener grass" elsewhere. As has been said before, Elmer may be temporarily tied-up and unable able to attend to forum-related issues; however, I suspect we can work around whatever such issues arise in the meantime.

I hope y'all will help keep Wilbur's legacy of BRC alive -- encourage folks to participate.

It seems that Wilbur's death left a huge "hole" in the forum. It's been over three months since the last member joined BRC, and several former frequent posters seem to have left the forum in search of "greener grass" elsewhere. As has been said before, Elmer may be temporarily tied-up and unable able to attend to forum-related issues; however, I suspect we can work around whatever such issues arise in the meantime.

I hope y'all will help keep Wilbur's legacy of BRC alive -- encourage folks to participate.

It's a tough time for shooters in all disciplines. With the out-sized "inflation" (let's call it that...) and availability that we've seen it's difficult to maintain, much less start a new endeavor (like new folks coming to BR). Even those who had the foresight to stock a year, or two, or three, in advance are getting low on supplies about now. I too think we can work around any disagreements. I try not to argue - just state my case, if'n I have one, and let it go.

I hate to see active members leave a forum. Forums in general seem to be moribund. It could be that those formerly-active members are now out of supplies or that Covid shut down their local competitions (still a reality in some states I'm told). People leave for various reasons and not all of them are due to the board itself. I don't want to put Al Nyhus, Butch Lambert, Nez Rongero (is he still here?), or a few others on the spot, so I won't name names, but there are some members I would sorely miss.

I thank Elmer for continuing to carry the torch here, with whatever time he can give it, but the real success of the forum lies with us, the members.

GsT

I thank Elmer for continuing to carry the torch here, with whatever time he can give it, but the real success of the forum lies with us, the members. GsT

Well said, Gene. Everyone has something positive to contribute.

Good shootin' :) -Al

I’ve resisted answering to this thread for a couple days but now I’ll say. There is more than one way to skin a cat. There were, at one time, a number of renowned people who would post here with their words of wisdom on procedures on every phase of competition preparation from neck turning to finding trim to length distance to loading bench to shooting bench procedure to you name it. They were met with opposition from ne’er do wells. Who wants that? There is such a thing as “I do it differently, I’ve found this to be true. That has not been my experience” And then there is, “You’re doing it all wrong. You don’t know what you’re talking about”. There is too much of the latter and that has driven some away. Who wants to come here to get their head chopped off by one of those ne’er do wells? I know for a fact of a couple of Bench Rest Hall Of Fame members because they expressed their feelings to me that they left for that reason. I just can’t sugar coat our situation better than that. One man’s opinion.

Some friends told about a site on Facebook. So I joined FB. Also to see flavors at my local Custard shop. And the Meat Guys, barbeque trailer.
So there is a test. I flunked the test. Don't know why. The next day the site indicated I was "BANNED". A few days later a search would not turn up the site. That's shadow banning. Some great Patriots on that site. I guess.
Benchrestshooting and gunsmithing NO FIREARMS SALES.

I just wanted to see the scores. I hope these people don't try to be 2A supporters. Because they are missing the point of the Constitution.
Don't bother replying with the private BS.
When the WH/biden can ban Alex Berenson on twitter, then the country is lost.

There were, at one time, a number of renowned people who would post here with their words of wisdom on procedures on every phase of competition preparation from neck turning to finding trim to length distance to loading bench to shooting bench procedure to you name it. They were met with opposition from ne’er do wells. Who wants that? There is such a thing as “I do it differently, I’ve found this to be true. That has not been my experience” And then there is, “You’re doing it all wrong. You don’t know what you’re talking about”. There is too much of the latter and that has driven some away. Who wants to come here to get their head chopped off by one of those ne’er do wells? I know for a fact of a couple of Bench Rest Hall Of Fame members because they expressed their feelings to me that they left for that reason. I just can’t sugar coat our situation better than that. One man’s opinion.

Francis, I got banned from another forum for having expressed my opinion about the "boss" locking, what I thought was, a very informative thread about COVID vaccinations. I've noticed that more than just some BR HOF members seem to have left. I can understand not wanting one's "head chopped off"; however, maybe feelings get hurt too easily.

Take a look at how few posts are made daily. Not only are there fewer posters but those who do visit have little to say. At this moment there have been six posts made throughout the website today. That would have been unheard of two year ago. I can’t answer for others but I can and have said why that is in my case. I don’t come to argue but I do enjoy civil discourse on benchrest subjects and people. I generally avoid subjects not benchrest related. Again, I can’t answer why others do or don’t do what they do or don’t do.

OK, I'll make this easy.

What FBecigneul is attempting to virtue signal is that IHO there is ONE (1) poster here who is singularly responsible for the decline

So, that problem is solved.

Enjoy

I’ve resisted answering to this thread for a couple days but now I’ll say. There is more than one way to skin a cat. There were, at one time, a number of renowned people who would post here with their words of wisdom on procedures on every phase of competition preparation from neck turning to finding trim to length distance to loading bench to shooting bench procedure to you name it. They were met with opposition from ne’er do wells. Who wants that? There is such a thing as “I do it differently, I’ve found this to be true. That has not been my experience” And then there is, “You’re doing it all wrong. You don’t know what you’re talking about”. There is too much of the latter and that has driven some away. Who wants to come here to get their head chopped off by one of those ne’er do wells? I know for a fact of a couple of Bench Rest Hall Of Fame members because they expressed their feelings to me that they left for that reason. I just can’t sugar coat our situation better than that. One man’s opinion.

I agree with you completely. I am acquainted with a few of our top U.S. and Canadian short range benchrest shooters and I think you would find them in total agreement.

there was/is distinct favoritism to one individual who had bad behavior, attacked others and it was the others that suffered. i do not know why his behavior was allowed but it did chase away others...now we are down to very few.....i'll hang around till the lights go out.

Couple of thoughts about this forum and forums in general. Twenty five years ago, more or less, I ran across a bulletin board called GoGoVarmintGo. It was a busy place with lots of good folks, varmint hunting/shooting/gun talk, etc. I got to know many of the regulars, quite a few in person. The guys who started it were active and I met them as well. Over the years, things evolved and the owners eventually sold the board to a group that owned over 300 "chat rooms". Things changed a bit and all the usernames and passwords were lost....twice. Things were disrupted and many, actually most, left. Now it is still active, but not many regulars and more visiting than actually varmint hunting discussion. It is the nature of these things to expand and contract.

It was really no one's fault, except for the lost info. Even without that, it is the nature of forums like this to change and slow down from time to time. People find new interests, move on, die in some cases. Benchrest has never been huge and likely never will be. If there are those who want this to continue, it will be necessary to do something other than just read. You will need to answer folks who ask questions and maybe a little courtesy could help. But in the end, if this is to go on, it will be those of us who contribute who will make it happen. Just a small suggestion. When posting and replying it is always helpful to remember that there is a real person on the other side of the screen and if you wouldn't say something to that person's face, it's probably prudent to not type it either. I like this place and most of the regulars. I plan to stay around until someone either turns the lights off or mine go off.

Rick

The makeup of clubs/forums change over time and it has always been that way. Some folks are okay with change and some people hate it. I have been on both sides of that with clubs I belonged to in the past. I think this forum will be around for awhile ....to many good people here.

Mort

When posting and replying it is always helpful to remember that there is a real person on the other side of the screen and if you wouldn't say something to that person's face, it's probably prudent to not type it either.

Rick

Excellent advice, Rick. :)

Good shootin' -Al

Couple of thoughts about this forum and forums in general. Twenty five years ago, more or less, I ran across a bulletin board called GoGoVarmintGo. It was a busy place with lots of good folks, varmint hunting/shooting/gun talk, etc. I got to know many of the regulars, quite a few in person. The guys who started it were active and I met them as well. Over the years, things evolved and the owners eventually sold the board to a group that owned over 300 "chat rooms". Things changed a bit and all the usernames and passwords were lost....twice. Things were disrupted and many, actually most, left. Now it is still active, but not many regulars and more visiting than actually varmint hunting discussion. It is the nature of these things to expand and contract.

It was really no one's fault, except for the lost info. Even without that, it is the nature of forums like this to change and slow down from time to time. People find new interests, move on, die in some cases. Benchrest has never been huge and likely never will be. If there are those who want this to continue, it will be necessary to do something other than just read. You will need to answer folks who ask questions and maybe a little courtesy could help. But in the end, if this is to go on, it will be those of us who contribute who will make it happen. Just a small suggestion. When posting and replying it is always helpful to remember that there is a real person on the other side of the screen and if you wouldn't say something to that person's face, it's probably prudent to not type it either. I like this place and most of the regulars. I plan to stay around until someone either turns the lights off or mine go off.

Rick
well said Rick
Dave Watts

The forum was "down" for the last few days (it said "Database error") and I was afraid it was down for good. I'm glad to see that it's back up now -- and hope it stays up. I enjoy this place. :)

Back