The "Unbreakable" LV .009 WORLD RECORD Has Been Broken!!!

Just got the great news that Mike Stennett has broken Mac McMillens "unbeatable" LV100 .009 record with

MIND BLOWING .0077!!!

Many thought this record would NEVER be broken and stand forever..

Mike accomplished this great feat with a 30PPC under some tough conditions at Denton, Texas.

Pictures of the new record group to follow as soon as I get them.

Congratulations Mike.

It seems as if there was a lot of controversy surrounding the .009" record for reasons unknown to this shooter.

Anyone expect the same thing to take place with this record?

Were different measuring apparatus used?

What were they?

There must have been much scrutiny placed on this measurement since its extremely small.

I wonder how many more 30PPCs are going to start being competed going forward? I know that I've found better luck with my 30BR vice my 6PPC for groups.

Congratulations! to Mr. Stinnett. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the support

It seems as if there was a lot of controversy surrounding the .009" record for reasons unknown to this shooter.

Anyone expect the same thing to take place with this record?

Were different measuring apparatus used?

What were they?

There must have been much scrutiny place on this measurement since its extremely small.

I wonder how many more 30PPC are going to start being competed going forward? I know that I've found better luck with my 30BR vice my 6PPC for groups.

Congratulations! to Mr. Stennett. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Just a quick note for the moment as this sinks in for me.

Don Shields – Score (15+ Years North Texas Shooters Association)

John Myers – Target Crew (US Team Member F Class 1000 yards and World Record Holder)

Scott Hunter – Gulf Coast Regional Director (All round nice guy!)

John Horn – Ref – 2011 NBRSA 4 Gun Champ

Charles Huckeba – Ref - Hall of Fame

Dr. Tim Oltersdorf – Ref - 6 time USA World Team Member

Gene Buckys – Chair Record Committee

Lowell / Ron / Ken – Records Committee Members

A big THANKS – as these are the guys that make our matches possible and without question maintain the integrity of the targets and record system. I was very fortunate to have all the right people in the right places for this match and my record.

As for measurement – I only saw the target for about 10 seconds up close and can say I’m very happy I did not have to measure that group!
THANKS AGAIN – TO EVERYONE!
More to follow later.

Michael Stinnett

My shooting buddy

Just one more -

Ralph Stewart - My shooting Partner.... who told me every day "EVERYTHING MATTERS".

Congratulations

Congrats, Mike, what a feat, great shooting, look forward to hearing more about it all.
Enjoy it !!!!!!!!!!

Sam Duke

Can't wait to see a picture of your record group

Congratulations for a well deserved record. You earned it having to chase the first shot.

Amazing!

Mike,
Mac's old record would have been 40 years old next month ( set in Sept. 73). I suspect your's will probably last longer. Congratulations.

If anyone want's to read about the difficulties in measuring Mac's old record there is a write-up by Neal Knox in the May-June 1974 issue of "Rifle" magazine about it.

Record Breaker

Lets put this whole thing in perspective. THEY said it couldn't be done. THEY said nobody could do it. THEY don't know Sheet.

The unpredictable nature of the Sport of Benchrest Competition. On any given day,at any given Match, in any given condition, Records are at risk of being erased.

My hats off to Mike Stinnett for an awesome personal achievement in a Sport/Hobby where getting your name in the record books is a rarity.

Congratulations Mike

Glenn

Mike do you have any idea how hard it's going to be to get a 30 cal barrel!!:D:D Congrats from OKC

Equipment Listing

Several have asked so here is my equipment listing - no Pics as the targets have not been returned yet.

The hardware build actually started in 2008 with the goal of building two identical Benchrest rifles which could be used for both group and score. The idea was to shoot 6PPC and a 30 Cal without a base rifle change.

Hardware Description:
Action: Kelby Panda “Speedy Shorty” with Solid Bolt – PPC Bold Face. Kelby was asked to build several actions which were identical with the intent to eliminate any variance in head space between the two new rifles. This helped me use a single setup on sizing dies for both rifles and ammo is interchangeable. Both actions were sent to “SPEEDY” to be blue printed along with new Jewell Triggers which were matched to the actions.

Stock: Larson (including action bedding).

Barrels: Krieger was selected for the barrels and after discussions with Randy Robinett (BIB Bullets) a 17 twist was identified as the correct safe solution. Ralph Stewart has cut all my chambers using a custom designed reamer. Again the concern was consistent headspace and Ralph has been able to keep my barrels within .0002 variance.

Scope: Leopold 45X Competition

Rings: Kelby Single Screw Tall.

Flags: Graham Wind Flags (large).

Tuner: Ralph Stewart

Front Rest: Farley

Bags: Micro Fiber

Brass: Lapua (Base case is 6.5 Grendel)

Bullets: Randy Robinett (BIB) 30 Cal. 114gr. 10 Ogive (my secondary – primary is 112 gr.)

Powder: H4198 – Weight?? (You can’t that that much in a 30PPC!) Velocity – 2980 FPS

Reamer: 30 STEWART (I just call it a 30PPC as that is what everyone expects, but it is in fact a custom design and Ralph deserves about 99% of the credit).

Dies: Sizing – Hornady Custom Shot / Seating - Ralph Stewart Custom

Attachments

• WP_20130804_001.jpg
    WP_20130804_001.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 705
Mike

How's it different than a 30 Major. What's involved in forming the brass? With the 30 Major I simply neck up Grendel brass and neck turn. I'm sure you are at least somewhat familiar with it...would you mind sharing the details? How much freebore..etc.

30 Stewart

How's it different than a 30 Major. What's involved in forming the brass? With the 30 Major I simply neck up Grendel brass and neck turn. I'm sure you are at least somewhat familiar with it...would you mind sharing the details? How much freebore..etc.

Mike, I did some testing with the 30 Major and I'm sure its a good way to shoot a 30 with a PPC Bolt. I found what most people already know adding powder vertical is not efficient, so while the 30 major did give me more powder capacity - it took more powder to reach my required velocity. Jackie tried to solve this with the smaller case running 4227 but to volatile and others have been fairly successful running N120 but I suspect its not nearly as stable as H4198. Our goal was to shoot H4198 as the optimal powder for stability. There were several versions of the reamer before we settled on the current configuration. I am optimized for the 10 Ogive BIB bullet, powder to the base of the bullet (FULL!). I found in testing the small 30 case did not like compression at all. The bullet is seated only .125 into the case with zero free bore.

Cases were initially created with the .220 but I later decided it was better to build from the 6.5 Grendel. I size the brass and bump the shoulder back until it will fit into the chamber, fill to shoulder with International Clays, cotton wad packed on top. I have a fire form barrel - would not recommend this in a good barrel. Then mandrel the neck up the rest of the way to .30, turn and trim.

It takes at least 8 firings to fully form a case! If you fire only three loads I find the brass does not have a sharp shoulder or any pressure on the bolt so any die selection is incorrect. Brass continues to harden well past 25 firings. I have match brass with will over 500 rounds fired. Never blown a case or neck yet.

The small group was fired with pre-loaded rounds....I do this now and then with local matches or may load 50 in a batch for one match.

Congratulations boss! You know how to make us proud!!!

I am very excited to hear the news that your record stood against one of the most controversial groups ever shot, and i tip my hat to you my friend. It is always good to see work & dedication rewarded and you my friend have just rewritten benchrest history. This is one that everyone in the world will talk about for a long time. I know i speak for our brother ralph, but we are so proud of you and are delighted to know that we had a small hand in a feat that may never be broken again. I can't wait to see the group and you world record certificate boss!

Sincerely your friend,
speedy

Wow

Mike

Congratulations on the smallest 5 shot group ever shot. It had to take your breath away when each shot went into that tiny hole.:eek:

I would also say thanks to the measurement committee. They probably all had some sleepless nights when they measured the targets on mutiple days, mutiple times to be sure that this is indeed the new record. Lots of responsibility there for sure.

Again, way to go Mike.................

Later
Dave

Back