The Rise of the Varmint Hunter Class

Randy, very well stated. I think that most new shooters want that high X count. The challenge of the 6X guns is overlooked by most. Sara and I both love shooting the 6X classes. We both have VFS rifles but don't enjoy shooting them as much as the VH rifles.

Worth repeating!

Many valid points have been brought up to the decline of the hunter benchrest game. I started shooting hunter class in 2000. It was the end of the 700 Reminton, the 168 grain Sierra Matchkings, and the hunting scope. It has been mentioned that allowing the custom action into the class was the downfall. I believe that this is only a perception. Not only did the serious competitor use a custom action but also a tricked out 6X scope, Lapua brass, and a fine selection of the finest 30 caliber match bullets available. The original competitors of the game did not stand a chance with the new combinations, along with this a large amount of bench time was spent to hone the skills need to shoot a 250-15+X target. This perception of a Remington or other factory class action was based upon the package that was the norm for the first 15-20 years of hunter benchrest. I like many others started with a 700 Remington, a basic 6X scope, but did have a custom match barrel and bullets. The Remingtons after a bit of work will compete with any of the customs. Their main drawback is poor bench manners. Given the same components & optics they do compete.

As far as the case restrictions are concerned, I would like to see them all lifted. This would allow those that insist that the hunter class cases kick too much could get involved. A single 6X class within the IBS would increase competition and attract new shooters. In the NBRSA more competitors also would be gained. Over the years of competition, I have changed what works for me. Up till two years ago I shot a 30 X 47.5 with 135 grain bullets at around 3000 FPS. This still my load of choice for 200 & 300 yards. I have backed things down for 100 yards, using a 30 X 44 with 115 grain bullets. They are much friendlier on one's shoulder and concentration. Focus on the shot about to be fired is the most important factor in the game.

Discussions have come up concerning the 6X scope limitations. This is the single most defining rule of the class. A good hunter class rifle in the right hands will shoot a well as most group guns. I will admit that the consistancy will not be as good, but the equipment is equal. When tuning my hunter guns, I shoot a regulation hunter target simiulating a match. Each following match is then shot over the existing holes in the target. I then measure the group on each individual target. These usually range from .120"-.500" It won't do well in a group match but remember we are trying to hit the X. Any increase in power is someone outside the discipline trying to make a justification why they should not shoot the game.

Eddie Harren (quote from - copied and pasted below: modified to Red & Blue for emphisis)

"Randy, very well stated. I think that most new shooters want that high X count. The challenge of the 6X guns is overlooked by most. Sara and I both love shooting the 6X classes. We both have VFS rifles but don't enjoy shooting them as much as the VH rifles."

Well stated by both Randy and Eddie.:cool:
Especially the Rem. (factory) vs. Custom actions perception . . . perhaps a little bragging will help make the point: At the Y2K NBRSA Hunter Nationals, at Casper, WY, I was fortunate enough to win both the 200Yd. and the Grand Aggs shooting my "trusty" Rem. 700/ McMillan, 30x47HBR Hunter Rifle. I had deliberately stayed with the 700, believing that custom actions were, "scaring new shooters away" - a perusal of the equipment list cleared my mind: of 100+ competitors, half a dozen, or fewer, employed factory actions. I was a, "dead wrong", dinosaur . . . but still, stuck with the Ol' 700 for three more seasons, only to see fewer of my persuasion each campaign . . . :eek: Then I got my BAT and joined the ranks of the successful.;):( RG

Last edited:
Great responses by all.

So, is there an agenda item being circulated that would change the rulebook to eliminate the case capacity?

Great responses by all.

So, is there an agenda item being circulated that would change the rulebook to eliminate the case capacity?

No, but do you want to sign mine to add two sighter bulls to the 300 yard target sighter block like we have in the other two yardage targets?

Last edited:
I will and I will sign the new agenda item you will make for the elimination of the case capacity in the 6X class. I'll PM you my fax number.

Randy- It was indeed "perception"....that a rifle enthusiast who had the savvy to tweak his hunting or varmint gun (i.e new trigger, barrel, stock) and loads could compete with the likes of Frank McKee with his 788's, thinking- " If Frank could win with the lowly 788, my ability to make my 700 Rem.win was surely do-able."To the average new shooter it was an affordable means to get into the game. After all, they could upgrade their rifle as funds became available.
Once the customs were legal and started to win, and newcomers found out how much their owners had in them....it was a turn-off from the git-go.....before they even had a chance to get hooked on the game. Kinda like a blue-collar vs. white collar deal.
It was a misconception on their part, since we all know in reality that an "enhanced" Rem. 700, or Harren's 722's, can still compete to this day.

There is actually a proposal to be considered in this year's NBRSA National meeting to drop the bore diameter (.236) and case capacity (45.5 grains of water - same as a .30-30) minimum limitations that currently exist in Hunter Rifle Competition. The current rule is shown in Section N.2. (h) of version #37 of the NBRSA rule book. The new porposal can be seen on the NBRSA webpage.

That would allow the popular 6 PPC and .30BR accuracy calibers to be used in Hunter Competition.

I will post this again under a new heading here on this Board to allow for good feedback.

The times, they are a changin' . . .

There is actually a proposal to be considered in this year's NBRSA National meeting to drop the bore diameter (.236) and case capacity (45.5 grains of water - same as a .30-30) minimum limitations that currently exist in Hunter Rifle Competition. The current rule is shown in Section N.2. (h) of version #37 of the NBRSA rule book. The new porposal can be seen on the NBRSA webpage.

That would allow the popular 6 PPC and .30BR accuracy calibers to be used in Hunter Competition.

I will post this again under a new heading here on this Board to allow for good feedback.

Either attitudes have gradually changed, or, there is at least one BRAVE soul left 'out there' . . . the two times I submitted this proposal (elimination of the case capacity and caliber restrictions), at HC meetings, during NBRSA Hunter Nationals (1988 at St Louis,MO, and 1997, Raton, NM) I was threatened with bodily harm!:( RG

RG,

I wouldn't feel welcome at a Nationals without at least one guy offering to kick my arse on a regular basis. I must bring that out in people.

That being said, when I started shooting in 1995 I started shooting score. (I later came over to the Dark Side and am now considered a Group Shooter - go figure.) I had a Dwight Scott-built .30 LDS Hunter and 6 PPC Varmint Hunter also built by Dwight, both on Sportsman 78 actions. The .30 was a mule. The PPC was a dream to shoot, but there was nobody here in Michigan to shoot the VH class back then. I sold the six to a guy who wanted to shoot woodchucks (still regret that decision).

I can honestly say that to me the 6-power classes are extremely challenging, and fun to shoot. And 200/300 score is as hard as it gets for me. Give me a nice breezy group shoot with a 45x scope for a relaxing day at the range. Try shooting X's at 300 yards looking through a 6x scope. (I can remember driving home from my first group match in 1995 at Holton saying to myself that this group thing is too hard, I'm sticking to score.)

With the average age of the competitors getting up there, and the advent of the .30 BR and its lessened recoil (compared to those monster .30-30 capacity cartridges), then throw in our declining numbers, isn't this the direction that the sport is heading?

I know that old habits and ideas die hard. But, it would be not a good thing if we lost shooters or ranges because of a caliber limitation. This transition wouldn't be without some constirnation. But, nothing worthwhile is easy. We will see how the membership (both organizations) wants to go and our jobs as the supposed-leaders in the sport is to listen to the constuency. We just need to do what works for the greatest number of shooters so that we can continue to have a sport to compete in.

Let's vote with our hands, not with our feet.

Last edited:
Just out of a want to know basis what is the case capacity of a 30BR case vs a 30-30 case? How much is really being changed by switching down? And just so you know I am about as recoil shy anymore as anybody.

Just out of a want to know basis what is the case capacity of a 30BR case vs a 30-30 case? How much is really being changed by switching down? And just so you know I am about as recoil shy anymore as anybody.

My fired 30BR cases hold an average of 40.8 gr. of water. A 30X47 based on the Lapua 6.5X47 case (arguably the most 'standard' HBR case out there) will hold around 48.0 of water.

But there's a lot more to 'felt' recoil than the bullet weight/velocity relationship......;)

Good shootin'. -Al

Once again - well worth repitition!

RG,

I wouldn't feel welcome at a Nationals without at least one guy offering to kick my arse on a regular basis. I must bring that out in people.

That being said, when I started shooting in 1995 I started shooting score. (I later came over to the Dark Side and am now considered a Group Shooter - go figure.) I had a Dwight Scott-built .30 LDS Hunter and 6 PPC Varmint Hunter also built by Dwight, both on Sportsman 78 actions. The .30 was a mule. The PPC was a dream to shoot, but there was nobody here in Michigan to shoot the VH class back then. I sold the six to a guy who wanted to shoot woodchucks (still regret that decision).

I can honestly say that to me the 6-power classes are extremely challenging, and fun to shoot. And 200/300 score is as hard as it gets for me. Give me a nice breezy group shoot with a 45x scope for a relaxing day at the range. Try shooting X's at 300 yards looking through a 6x scope. (I can remember driving home from my first group match in 1995 at Holton saying to myself that this group thing is too hard, I'm sticking to score.)

With the average age of the competitors getting up there, and the advent of the .30 BR and its lessened recoil (compared to those monster .30-30 capacity cartridges), then throw in our declining numbers, isn't this the direction that the sport is heading?

I know that old habits and ideas die hard. But, it would be not a good thing if we lost shooters or ranges because of a caliber limitation. This transition wouldn't be without some constirnation. But, nothing worthwhile is easy. We will see how the membership (both organizations) wants to go and our jobs as the supposed-leaders in the sport is to listent to the constuency. We just need to do what works for the greatest number of shooters so that we can continue to have a sport to compete in.

Let's vote with our hands, not with our feet.

I couldn't agree more - better LATE than after death . . . where, since about 2004, the Hunter Class (both organizations) has been headed. :p Navigation through a parallel universe can be tricky. ;) RG

I agree with you pete, keep the six power scope. It sets a goal for us to try to set a new record which is the reson so many of us shoot HBR to start with. It's like old school classic bench rest, some times it's best left alone.

Back