The Last of The Tennessee State Champions

My two cents....

I think the problem of the fall off of match attendance is quite simple. Without getting into specifics, the problem is there are more people who drop out than come in. I know we love everyone who comes into the game and hate to see them go when they eventually do, but I think the key is getting more people in, instead of figuring out how to bring back the ones who are quitting. Now that being said, with ANY product that is for sale, the FIRST thing you HAVE to have for a good product (which benchrest is) to sell is EXPOSURE. Exposure, exposure, exposure. How do you get exposure? Well in my opinion with this particular product one way is, it takes individuals who will run informal, unregistered matches that are easily accessible to local accuracy nuts with factory rifles, varmint rifles, custom varmint rifles, etc etc, and of course having some good old new fangled bench guns there, and having them competing. The draw of the consistent remarkable accuracy of a well tuned benchrest rifle to an accuracy nut who has never witnessed such a thing is undeniable. I'm sure there are other ways to get exposure as well. Someone who would be willing to go around to ranges around their region and area and perhaps putting on a little "benchrest informative show/clinic" at clubs perhaps. That could also turn into finding out the club's interest in holding matches, and perhaps finding someone there who might want to head up such a project. Perhaps a portion of entry fees could be used to help pay for such trips for an enthusiastic benchrester looking to grow the sport and take on such. I thought the loaner equipment that Wilbur had going was a genius idea. BUT all of the above suggestions will require someone or a few people who obviously LOVE and are enthusiastic about the sport and it's growth. As well as be willing to sacrifice time, money and perhaps some sanity to see the sport grow. Like I said, it could be a collective group of people (probably more feasible) or one SUPER SPECIAL person. But all in all that's what it's going to take. Perhaps some accuracy and benchrest companys could get involved in such projects to grow the sport in their region.

But there it is. My two cents.

And in case you're curious:

I will not be running any matches for the foreseeable future. I have been blessed with a beautiful woman (no there is not a ring on it yet, but I do have the ring in my possession) and her beautiful daughter, full time job of course, and crazily enough a schedule that is beginning to be filled with appointments to preach! WHAAAAAAAAAAT!!!??? Crazy, right? With that being said, adding the stress of running a match or two at an existing range or new range is not something I'm looking to add to my plate. The Unaka board may have ruined me forever on that deal.

On a personal note, I laid down cigarettes on 10/01/15. No vaping either. No longer hanging around in bars. No longer drinking. And I've found life is even more beautiful than I could have ever imagined without those things. His grace has truly been abundant towards me, and none of anything in this paragraph would have been possible without Him.

Matthew S Keller

I think the problem of the fall off of match attendance is quite simple. Without getting into specifics, the problem is there are more people who drop out than come in. I know we love everyone who comes into the game and hate to see them go when they eventually do, but I think the key is getting more people in, instead of figuring out how to bring back the ones who are quitting. Now that being said, with ANY product that is for sale, the FIRST thing you HAVE to have for a good product (which benchrest is) to sell is EXPOSURE. Exposure, exposure, exposure. How do you get exposure? Well in my opinion with this particular product one way is, it takes individuals who will run informal, unregistered matches that are easily accessible to local accuracy nuts with factory rifles, varmint rifles, custom varmint rifles, etc etc, and of course having some good old new fangled bench guns there, and having them competing. The draw of the consistent remarkable accuracy of a well tuned benchrest rifle to an accuracy nut who has never witnessed such a thing is undeniable. I'm sure there are other ways to get exposure as well. Someone who would be willing to go around to ranges around their region and area and perhaps putting on a little "benchrest informative show/clinic" at clubs perhaps. That could also turn into finding out the club's interest in holding matches, and perhaps finding someone there who might want to head up such a project. Perhaps a portion of entry fees could be used to help pay for such trips for an enthusiastic benchrester looking to grow the sport and take on such. I thought the loaner equipment that Wilbur had going was a genius idea. BUT all of the above suggestions will require someone or a few people who obviously LOVE and are enthusiastic about the sport and it's growth. As well as be willing to sacrifice time, money and perhaps some sanity to see the sport grow. Like I said, it could be a collective group of people (probably more feasible) or one SUPER SPECIAL person. But all in all that's what it's going to take. Perhaps some accuracy and benchrest companys could get involved in such projects to grow the sport in their region.

But there it is. My two cents.

And in case you're curious:

I will not be running any matches for the foreseeable future. I have been blessed with a beautiful woman (no there is not a ring on it yet, but I do have the ring in my possession) and her beautiful daughter, full time job of course, and crazily enough a schedule that is beginning to be filled with appointments to preach! WHAAAAAAAAAAT!!!??? Crazy, right? With that being said, adding the stress of running a match or two at an existing range or new range is not something I'm looking to add to my plate. The Unaka board may have ruined me forever on that deal.

On a personal note, I laid down cigarettes on 10/01/15. No vaping either. No longer hanging around in bars. No longer drinking. And I've found life is even more beautiful than I could have ever imagined without those things. His grace has truly been abundant towards me, and none of anything in this paragraph would have been possible without Him.

Matthew S Keller

glad you are doing good matthew wish i was still on facebook to keep in touch. anyway hope all is well..... it sounds like it is...... "HE" is good isn't HE

Your Personal Life changes

are some of the best news I've heard in a while. Keep it up!!!!!

Thanks for all you guys did for our region at Unaka.

Stay in touch!!

I am just as guilty as a lot of others that have left Group shooting for other venues....I had a lot of reasons but one of the biggest reasons was that most all score events are single day events which means I don't have to own and maintain a house on wheels any more. That was a major expense in multi day Group shoots for me. Now, if I want to, I can get up every Saturday morning and drive to a range within 150 miles of me and participate in a non sanctioned or sanctioned score shoot and be home in time for late supper.

Come shoot with us at River Bend next week; we'll probably be finished in time for you to get home for supper. :)

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?94064-Georgia-River-Bend-Gun-Club-2016-Public-Match-Schedule

Back