The Equalizing Scoring Reticle

Jackie,
You asked about a scoring reticle and why UBR didn’t use it in the beginning. Mike Ezell gave you an answer. It wasn’t available is probably the correct answer, but even if it were I don’t know that Danny would have chosen to use it. I’ve gotten to know him fairly well over the past 15 years and I doubt he would have.
For the past seven years I’ve confident in saying I’ve run more UBR matches, shot more UBR matches & scored more targets than anyone else. For six of those seven years I ran a match every month at the Gallatin Gun Club, usually shot in two classes, scored the majority of targets and entered most of them in the computer. I’m not bragging or complaining, I’m just saying I know what I’m talking about. The scoring reticle would be an inferior substitute for a real, printed target. By using two scoring rings instead of one you double the potential errors and disagreements. On many targets we already need a magnifier. A multi-ring reticle would only make this worse. Also, there is no reason for it. The overwhelming majority of shooters will use the three popular match bullets -224, 243 & 308. You seem to be under the impression that stocking three caliber targets is a big deal. Trust me, it isn’t. BTW- I just looked at the National Target Co and IBS targets. It says you are paying $23 per 100 for 100 yard VFS targets and $26 per 100 for 200 yard VFS targets. Allowing for 5 of each for a 100/200 yard agg, if my math is correct, that’s $2.45. The total cost for a UBR 100/200 Agg is less than $2.00. It’s just as easy to stock all the caliber targets as to stock for IBS. You can argue that, but remember, I’ve done it for seven years. I know what I’m talking about…….been there & done that. Also, IME- the plug is absolutely the worst scoring choice. With a close shot every time someone looks at it the hole gets a tiny bit larger and so more difficult to score correctly. It’s worse than worthless.
As to whether you should adopt a caliber neutral target, I really can’t say. That’s up to the members of the NBRSA. First, I seriously doubt that you will get enough members to vote for a change. Humanoids as a rule, don’t like change. Second, it probably wouldn’t change much in regard to the growth of the organization. The neutral targets that UBR uses are only part of a system that is working for us. The second part is the scoring system that doesn’t penalize the shooter for shooting a “9”. The third and in my experience the most important part is the four class structure. This had given match directors like myself the freedom to invite anyone who wants to shoot the opportunity without the requirement of a very expensive custom rifle and optics. I can tell the interested party to show up and I will have a class for him to shoot. We have a valid Factory Class that has worked well with little or no cheating, a Modified Class that allows a shooter to pull that old Remington benchrest rifle from the back of the safe and compete, a strong Custom Class that we are all familiar with and an Unlimited Class that includes rail guns if one chooses.
The majority of our shooters did not come from other organizations. They are new to the sport. Many of those who begin in Factory Class choose to stay with it, although in my opinion it is the most expensive and difficult class in which to be consistently competitive.

I wish you luck with whatever you do with the reticle and with growing the NBRSA.

Rick
Good job Rick they need to try it before they knock it

I can appreciate UBR's attempts to get more people into the game of BR. However, the more I learn about UBR, the more unlikely I would try it. I thought there were more rules than what the website lists. It lacks structure and the deal breaker for me is having to shoot alongside braked rifles. IMO you have been extremely lucky to have conducted so many matches without ongoing disputes. Perhaps that says a lot about the character of the people running them. I hope it continues to go along smoothly for UBR.

The structure UBR has is a bunch of guys having a good time without arguing about unenforced rules. Been to several and never heard an argument. Again don't knock it till you try it

Asheville Rifle and Pistol this past November. Just 20 miles or so from my house
They have been holding UBR matches for two years and I didn't know it

I don't see that club on the UBR website. Do they hold "registered" matches?

Also, can you check with someone at that club about holding NBRSA registered matches?

I don't see that club on the UBR website. Do they hold "registered" matches?

Also, can you check with someone at that club about holding NBRSA registered matches?

They are not registered matches. I think they have been discussing the possibility of that in the near future if it continues to grow. I was pleasantly surprised at the number shooters present as many as I have seen anywhere in a while

I've been keeping up with this thread
I thought I would add this
Probably 90 percent of the shooters in attendance at the UBR match I went to have never been to a registered match
All were having a great time no mega egos in attendance just good fun
Ill have to say it was refreshing

Last edited:
I've been keeping up with this thread
I thought I would add this
Probably 90 percent of the shooters in attendance at the UBR match I went to have never been to a registered match
All were having a great time no mega egos in attendance just good fun
Ill have to say it was refreshing

It's a great time(day) to be a UBR shooter! ;)

Glad you enjoyed it, Tim

Back