That Super Shoot glow and Super Angels

savet06

Mike Suhie
the glow:
This was my first, and maybe last or at least for a while, Super Shoot and I took 16th in the HV grand and got 49th overall. My goal for the match was to get top 50 for a single target much less a grand and the 2 gun! There were "only" 215 or so competitors compared to the days of 350+, but it still feels pretty good.
If anyone here has ever hesitated on going to a big match because of concerns about getting beaten...you will be! BUT, there are so many people who want you to do your best even at the expense of their own shooting experience you can't lose!

the angels:
Starting with Barry Sullenberger (I kept wanting to call him Carl for some reason), who was camping right next to me: my camper power cord was about 10ft short "No problem, Mike! I gotcha." This was within 10 minutes of showing up to my site. I had planned on tracking one down the next day, but no need!

Paul Weihe brought a press, a shellholder and some brass after I called him at 5:30a.m. on Thursday so that I could make it through the last day without fighting the dang click that my chamber has been fighting (thought I had it whipped prior to the shoot). Could not have made it without him, and would have had to drive home to get the job done otherwise.

Scott Miller lent me a pair of shooting glasses when I left mine on the bench after fireforming said newly built brass the night before. And thank you to whomever picked them up and returned them the next day to the RSO stand.

Need a beer, whiskey, a meal? Just walk over to the next site and you have more than you can eat from the Sutton's or Chris and Adam Lindsey. For the record I had plenty of the latter, but it was offered so...I also chipped in on some of the libations.

Shot next to Daryl Loker for 3/4 of the match (he had to attend to family and couldn't make day 4) who, after finishing his target, watched me pick my way through a thrown first shot and putting the last one in the middle of the group with about 10 seconds left. He gave me a great compliment afterwards and that felt pretty darn good!

I have been shooting benchrest in various forms for the past 12yrs, and, with rare exception, they are the most selfless group with whom I have ever shared time.

Just one competitors take on the final cease fire at Kelbly's, but I would imagine this sort of thing happens all the time at other shoots. Wish I were retired!
Support matches whenever you can and don't be afraid to shoot a big one - every one does!
Mike

the glow:
This was my first, and maybe last or at least for a while, Super Shoot and I took 16th in the HV grand and got 49th overall. My goal for the match was to get top 50 for a single target much less a grand and the 2 gun! There were "only" 215 or so competitors compared to the days of 350+, but it still feels pretty good.
If anyone here has ever hesitated on going to a big match because of concerns about getting beaten...you will be! BUT, there are so many people who want you to do your best even at the expense of their own shooting experience you can't lose!

the angels:
Starting with Barry Sullenberger (I kept wanting to call him Carl for some reason), who was camping right next to me: my camper power cord was about 10ft short "No problem, Mike! I gotcha." This was within 10 minutes of showing up to my site. I had planned on tracking one down the next day, but no need!

Paul Weihe brought a press, a shellholder and some brass after I called him at 5:30a.m. on Thursday so that I could make it through the last day without fighting the dang click that my chamber has been fighting (thought I had it whipped prior to the shoot). Could not have made it without him, and would have had to drive home to get the job done otherwise.

Scott Miller lent me a pair of shooting glasses when I left mine on the bench after fireforming said newly built brass the night before. And thank you to whomever picked them up and returned them the next day to the RSO stand.

Need a beer, whiskey, a meal? Just walk over to the next site and you have more than you can eat from the Sutton's or Chris and Adam Lindsey. For the record I had plenty of the latter, but it was offered so...I also chipped in on some of the libations.

Shot next to Daryl Loker for 3/4 of the match (he had to attend to family and couldn't make day 4) who, after finishing his target, watched me pick my way through a thrown first shot and putting the last one in the middle of the group with about 10 seconds left. He gave me a great compliment afterwards and that felt pretty darn good!

I have been shooting benchrest in various forms for the past 12yrs, and, with rare exception, they are the most selfless group with whom I have ever shared time.

Just one competitors take on the final cease fire at Kelbly's, but I would imagine this sort of thing happens all the time at other shoots. Wish I were retired!
Support matches whenever you can and don't be afraid to shoot a big one - every one does!
Mike

Well said Mike. Such an awesome event and an amazing group of people in this sport. I made a lot of good memories in the two Super Shoots I’ve attended, as well as all the weekend matches.

Congrats on your top 50 finish!

Brian

the glow:

the angels:

Mike

Congratulations. As a Fclass shooter I can say the same thing. Some of the finest people I have ever met was at a match. Thank your match director wherever you shoot. Even if he's old and cranky.

Good post! I've only missed 4 Super Shoots since my first in 2000. The comraderie in the benchrest community is like nothing I've encountered anywhere. I've made friends from around the globe. We have become a family. Yeah...we bicker a bit and yank each other's chains. Some of us are noted (Buddy Ross's term) professional assholes (he's proud of that by the way) but a family nonetheless. Hope everyone will continue to support the Super Shoot when it moves to St Louis next year.
Steve

Back