Texas State 600 yard Championships

Joe Duke

At Huntsville, TX over the weekend, Conditions were fairly light and variable all weekend (for Texas) but there was plenty of heat and humidity to satisfy everyone. Turnout was low but the competition remained tough.

Light gun Group.
1. Dean Thomason - 3.162”
2. Darrell Martin - 3.539”
3. Joe Duke - 4.069”
Small group - Joe Duke - 1.642”

Light Gun Score
1. Dean Thomason - 279-4X
2. Frank Vance - 271-2X
3. Tymn Combest - 269-2X
High score
Frank Vance - 49-1x
Darrell Martin 49-1X

Heavy Gun Group
1. Dean Thomason - 3.621”
2. Darrell Martin - 4.439”
3. Joe Duke - 4.870”
Small group - Darrell Martin - 2.576”

Heavy Gun Score
1. Joe Duke - 550-10X
2. Scott Deal - 545-7X
3. Dean Thomason - 543-8X
High Score
Dean Thomason - 97-3X
Justin Cockcroft - 97-3X

Two Gun Group
Dean Thomason - 3.392”
Two Gun Score
Dean Thomason - 822-12X

Congratulations to all the winners and to Dean for a fine showing to win both group and score.

Jon Baker, a teenage shooter showed up and shot his first 600 yard match. After getting his feet under him, Jon shot a very fine 90-5x score on his third heavy gun target. Way to go Jon! I would bet that he will be back.

After the match on Saturday, Justin Cockcroft treated everyone to a very good fish fry. Thanks Justin.
Thank you to Mike Cockcroft for a nice range and a well run 600 yard shoot. If you can't enjoy yourself at Pinevalley, you don't know how to have fun.
See you next time.

Joe

The Winners

First Row L to R - Frank Vance, Joe Duke, Dean Thomason, Darrell Martin.
Back Row L to R - Scott Deal, Justin Cockcroft, Tim Sellars, Tymn Combest.

Attachments

• IMG_1252.jpg
    IMG_1252.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 322
Thanks for posting Joe .And congrats to the winners and everybody that showed .There was some really nice groups shot by every shooter in some tricky mirage ,letups and reversals.Some got bit and some held them in tight for some really tough competition.Thanks to Mike cockcroft and justin for some fine fish and hushpuppies.Awsome range and thank god for the roof over the benches.It was a ton of fun and look forward to shooting there again . Tim Sellars

I sure enjoyed shooting Saturday, up until then didn't even know if my rifle would go 600 yds. Justin sure knows how to cook catfish and Mike knows how to host a great shoot. Prior commitment kept me from shooting Sunday, but enjoyed every minute I was there and looking forward to the next shoot.

Mike Wickizer

Many thanks to Mike and Justin for all the hard work and expense in putting on this match.It was a great experience to shoot against national and state champions and to get whipped by young guys like Dean.The match ran like a fine Swiss watch, and the camaraderie unsurpassed.

You know shooter turn out is bad when you can only give out 9 top ten patches. Thanks to those who came and I will make a decision soon if there will be any more NBRSA 600 yd matches at my range.
Mike

Back