Tested Loads Today - Really Disappointed

Maybe I didn't understand you right, but I thought you said you were loading three shell batches to test variables in your loads.

I'm no expert like some of these guys, but have SOME knowledge, and I really question how much you can learn from three shot groups, one group fired per batch.

And we all have days like that. Hard to explain, but it happens. Days where you just throw away all the targets and try to forget about it.

I'm also with alinwa who questions, what's wrong with 3/4 inch groups? Possibly your expectations are too high for this early stage of load development.

Good luck.

223 loads

ln my Rem.223's l have two,l have found the 53gr.Match
from Sierra and 25 to 27.5 grs. of Varget to be the best
load in mine at 200yds.

Going from 2" to 1" is really easy.

Going from 1" to 3/4" is a little more difficult but possible.

Going from 3/4 to 1/2" is difficult - it will take lots of load development - some gunsmithing (trigger/bedding etc).

Wind - even though you say "light" becomes an issue when you get to the 1/2" level.

Try a lot of things and shoot lots of loads (over wind flags).

Find a Benchrest buddy - Find someone to help you that is a Benchrest shooter - as crazy as it may sound, we love accuracy to the point of mental illness and enjoy helping new people to become mentally ill too. Find an experienced person in your area that can point out the path in ten minutes that would take you 10 days to find on your own. This is why shooting in a match is suggested also - you will learn more at a match in one day than you can in months on your own.

Groups

And going from 1/2 to .150 is even more difficult and really a lot more expensive.
+10 ScottD

A couple of thoughts...

Don't clean your barrel every group ... you don't know yet if your rifle takes one fouler or 3 to settle down...

I am assuming your twist is 12 or quicker? If it is 14 maybe stick with 50 to 53 grain match bullets until you have it worked out... long 55's could be on the edge of wobble...?

You've been given some very good advice in all the posts.
If its any consolation I wasn't very pleased with my first foray into handloads from a bench either. As Alinwa said there is a learning curve. It took me a while to better factory ammo.

"Just touching the lands" I've read of this recommended seating depth being used many times. Personally its never worked for me in any seating depth tests in various calibers. (no 6ppc with custom bullets here,yet)
During the last year I worked loads for two 6BR's. One 14 and one 8 twist.
Eerily enough I found Berger bullets ranging from 60 - 108 gns all preferred .008 of jam in my rifles. "Just touching" seemed to be the worse. FWIW

As Dennis said stop cleaning that barrel. It should be broken in after 200 rds.
Now its time to keep the bore condition as consistent as possible. (fouled)
Its a factory varminter after all.

Clawman
I stumbled on to the Audette ladder test pretty early in my handloading career. Results improved quickly. I still use it faithfully to this day. Its not perfect but no load development system is. For extreme accuracy requirements its a great starting point but not the end. There is a learning curve involved with it also.

Guns

I just sold 2 700 heavy varmints in 223 I loved both of those guns & was Very satisfied w/ them but Just got bored w/ 3/4 " groups Which was what both shot consistently ( MAYBE yours will do better) One was Steel bedded the other was Pillar & epoxy bedded both had 1 1/2 lb triggers & could be counted on but I wanted something better. I bought a 40 x Its a consistent 1/2 " gun w/many under, I have bought a cooper that Ive shot once It was w/the 40 x its an ackley & I have a std. 223 comming in a cooper . In My VERY humble opinion Thats about all you can actually expect your gun to do on reg. basis. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION & NOT MEANT AS A CHALLENGE TO ANYONE & I will ALWAYS have 700 Remingtons in my stable.I have 1 700 plastic stocked 223 w/ a $100 scope that my grandchildren can shoot into the 2s&3s w/ one particular load, dont know what Ill do when I run out of accurate 2200 ? Have fun w/ your 700 their tops .

Any22;462974 ........... " In My VERY humble opinion Thats about all you can actually expect your gun to do on reg. basis. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION & NOT MEANT AS A CHALLENGE TO ANYONE " .......... [/QUOTE said:
Any22,

It's sad that you feel that you must cover your bases this way.

Thank you for sharing YOUR OPINION :) and your experience.

That's what this board is about.

An awful lot of folks live their entire life as if it's a contest :rolleyes: Thank you for forging ahead anyway..... I've learned to just ignore the pickers, they're gonna' get their feelings hurt no matter WHAT you say unless you just hold their hand and nod..

al

23.6 23.7gr in Warm weather 2.255"OAL Use CCI 400 Primers. If it won't shoot flies or asprin something wrong with the gun or scope.

I disagree totally with this. Nothing wrong with the load, I just don't agree that it'll "shoot flies" at 100yds w/factory rifle.

al

Bullets, bedding, and barrels- in order of $$$.

Lots of good advice, particularly Berger or "known" custom bullets. Don't be afraid to try other primers, and BENCHMARK.

Scope adjusted for no parallax?

Good luck, and good shooting!:D

my (2) 223's,, one savage 12LRPV,, one tikka T-3, both love 53gr sierra matchkings but they REALLY love 52 gr Fowler/Scheider Accuracy FB bullets over 25.0 grs of vitv N-133

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

Suggest you try 55vmax, its flat base. Ill bet it will shoot tighter groups than 55 bk. Call sierra on recommended twist for 55 bk out of 223. If 55vmax shoots better as I suspect, then try 50grbk.

easy now...

I tested a batch of .223 loads today in my Rem700. I don't know whether to be disappointed in the gun, the loads, or myself. I'm a newbie at bench shooting, so it could very well be poor techique on my part. The best I could get was about 3/4" groups.

I used combinations of Berger 55gr match and Nosler 55gr Ballistic Tip with H9548 and Accurate 2460. Maybe I'm not using the right powder

Neither of those powders would be in my first five choices for .223 match grade loads.

Get the book by Feamster and/or get the book by Zediker, and replicate their match loads. Then start tweaking. You need a base line.

Back