Target Paper

Hippy

Can anyone help me on what "Weight" official Benchrest ( 100-200) yard targets are printed on ?

Thanx,
Jim

I believe some of it is made with heavy tagboard which is 125lb. IBS and NBRSA use different printers and I believe have different specs for the paper. Both have changed official printers over the years too. I have a large batch of older IBS Speedwell printed targets and they are .009" thick which is 125 lb tagboard spec.

Last edited:
Yet another BR issue

From what I can see there is no official standard set for what weight and type of paper BR targets should be printed on. Nor a specific method of printing. Every variation seems to leave a different size hole in the target from the same batch of bullets. If there was a standard set it would alleviate yet another issue. But like many things like this that need resolving if it ever gets discussed it's just dropped into the too hard basket and forgotten.

This year's Super Shoot they used a new paper for 100 yards. It seems to have a plastic coating. I was told they have use a different measure because the holes are smaller. May Jim Kelbly could chime in. I think it is what NBRSA will be using but not sure.
Bill Greene

The official targets for the NBRSA are not an option. What you are sent when you order the targets from The NBRSA is what you use in Registered Competition. Period.

We have used the new targets in several matches this year. We used about a 50/50 mix last week end at The Louisianna State VFS.

My only complaint with the new target in Score Shooting is it is difficult to see the exact hit on the target, as the "black" of the bullet's circle is very subdued. If you shoot a lot of score, you know how important it is to know exactly where that last shot went, and why. But, if that is what The NBRSA is using, that is what we shoot.

The bullet hole size is of no consequence. Scorers know how to center a reticle, whether you are using it on a score target, or measuring a group. It is the obligation of every Match Director to be sure that his official scorer knows how to use the official scoring tool, or reticle, properly.

If you want to see the bullet hole better just put a little black magic marker on the bullets. If you want to befuddle Dick Wright, use red magic marker.

LOL can always count on you Francis. Where you been? Have not seen you here lately.

Francis is always lurkin' around.....

As far as the target material goes, you just have to try hard and hope for the best. I've been involved in printing a large number of targets and what you see is not always what you get. There's too many factors involved. Group and score targets have a little different criteria but they both require similar consistency from lot to lot. I don't know everything but a "new" lot of targets for a national shooting discipline is rather difficult to achieve.

To summarize - It appears that paper can not be duplicated at any price and choose the printer carefully. Spot check your criteria in several places within the stack of finished targets and if it's goofed up any at all just reprint the targets. It's only money!!

About

Francis is always lurkin' around.....

As far as the target material goes, you just have to try hard and hope for the best. I've been involved in printing a large number of targets and what you see is not always what you get. There's too many factors involved. Group and score targets have a little different criteria but they both require similar consistency from lot to lot. I don't know everything but a "new" lot of targets for a national shooting discipline is rather difficult to achieve.

To summarize - It appears that paper can not be duplicated at any price and choose the printer carefully. Spot check your criteria in several places within the stack of finished targets and if it's goofed up any at all just reprint the targets. It's only money!!

the only kind of paper that seems to be consistent, lot to lot, is toilet paper. If it wasn't just think of the consequences. Jim Borden (TPE action and now his Rimrock) tells a good story about toilet paper and the TPE action! Funny as all get out. --Greg

2 cents worth,, Material should be of short grain, long gain material give rips and tears when passed through. A compressed flat finish on the printed side but not magazine shiny ( generally that is a high clay based material) There different weight grades for paper, tag board ect. Sorry it has been too long don't remember, but a 20 weight bond is not the same as a 20 weight magazine cover material or tag board. Back in the day I used spec target material as short grained, 90# index stock ( 90# index stock is like a thin business card for a rough comparison.) hope this a bit of help.

Jim Borden would be the man to talk to. He was IBS president when the deal was brokered to change paper/target companies. After all he had strong ties to the paper business at one time.

Eddie

Jim Borden would be the man to talk to. He was IBS president when the deal was brokered to change paper/target companies. After all he had strong ties to the paper business at one time.

yes and the TPE action. I'm sure you've heard the story! :)

I think the Orville printing paper is pretty good, better than the stuff used by Natl Target before the switch. --Greg

Back