Tail Stock Too High?

OK Butch, I am confused again. What the heck is a "pusher"?

I thought a floating reamer holder was a type of pusher.

Jim

Pictured below is one design of floating pusher;

Another can be seen at Mike Bryants web site. Dennis Sorensen has another design he may post if he reads this.

The main feature here is that the reamer is pushed by a handle fastened to the reamer shank. That handle is in turn being pushed by a collar in the tailstock that lets the reamer self center if the tailstock is not perfect. Most reamers have an 0.437" diameter shank. Pushing collars usually have about a 1/2" hole which allows the reamer to self center.

Pictured below is one design of floating pusher;

Another can be seen at Mike Bryants web site. Dennis Sorensen has another design he may post if he reads this.

The main feature here is that the reamer is pushed by a handle fastened to the reamer shank. That handle is in turn being pushed by a collar in the tailstock that lets the reamer self center if the tailstock is not perfect. Most reamers have an 0.437" diameter shank. Pushing collars usually have about a 1/2" hole which allows the reamer to self center.

OK, now I understand.

I was going to build a pusher.

Thanks for the clarification.

Jim

I copied Mike Bryant's design except that I turned a morse taper to fit my tailstock (what a PITA for a newbie like me) with a hole bored into it with side clearance for the reamer to float and also not bottom out. Then I bought a tap handle and shimmed between the two halves for clearance to tighten to the reamer. I then drilled and faced the tap handle to clamp to the base of the reamer and butt the face of the pusher. I tighten the handle tight enough to ream but, loose enough to slip if the reamer happens to grab. Mine is pretty much the same as Jerry's. Just my .02; worth what you paid.

Hope it helps,
Med.

Last edited:
Hi Don,

The high tailstock will not cause any problems for most of what I do.

My only concern is pushing a reamer. I wanted the force on the reamer to be as axial as possible, but if I use a floating reamer holder, is .005 high going to cause a problem??

If not, then I won't worry about it for now.

Thanks.

Jim

The tail stock on the lathe I use for barrel work is 0.005" high. Worse than that, it varies +/- 0.001" or so depending on how tight I get it. The tail stock on my 1950 South Bend Model A is 0.003" high, still.

I use a very simple home made reamer pusher. The tail stock being 0.005" high makes no difference to the reamer at all with a pusher that floats radially with up to 0.025" radial compliance like this one does.

ReamerPusher-2RS.jpg

Fitch

Back