Sweets 7.62

Take a penny and douse it in KG-12 and then take another penny and douse it in Sweets.

I've done it and the results were immediate and decisive to me.

I still use Sweets.

Yote what do you mean

I still have a bottle of sweets. But hey you gotta use KG1 before you use KG12 bro. Even coyotes know that?

Sweets on it's own won't damage a barrel but it does absorb/attract moisture. We all know what moisture in the barrel does.

The penny test tells the tale. Put a bunch of pennies on the table and put a drop of each of your copper solvents on them. I did this test. My beloved boretech eliminator was better than butches and most others were fairly tame. The sweets was very impressive in the speed at which it shined up the penny and dissolved the copper.

I had a barrel at the time that I had put about 700 rounds through in a couple of days of pd hunting with insufficient cleaning. I cleaned it throughout the day but that many rounds takes too much time with my normal methods.(hoppes 9 followed by sweets after it displaced BT eliminator in my arsenal.) I was looking at layers of crap through my borescope.

I had just purchased a can of birchwood casey foaming bore scrubber. It says to only leave it in the bore for a few minutes. AJ and I filled the bore up with it and sealed it up. We went to the movies and came back about 3 hours later. I patched it out several times and looked at it with the bore scope. It was absolutely CLEAN. The semi liquid that came out of the bore was a dark yellow and had little evidence of copper oxide blue. I didn't expect to find it clean inside and we had to look at it a few times to convince ourselves we weren't seeing things. That is now what I do when I get a big buildup in my pd rifles. I clean them every 50-100 shots with hoppes and sweets. I use the bore scrubber maybe every 400 shots.

In my competition rifle I use just hoppes and sweets and clean after every match. The bore never gets perfectly clean or perfectly dirty. It stays about the same level of condition at all times which for that gun, is what I want.

Because I accidentally ruined a CM barrel with Sweets (by forgetting that I had put it in the bore and leaving it overnight) I decided that I don't need it any more, especially since there are other, less dangerous, ways to get the job done.

For heavy buildup I have used Wipeout foam with excellent results. Generally, for my match barrels, Butches, patches and bronze brushes get the job done.

Also, I recently had good results with Carbout, on a deep accumulation of powder fouling in the grooves on an old 7 mag. barrel that had never been properly cleaned. I used a bronze brush after soaking for 20 minutes, twice.

Articles about barrel cleaning should really distinguish between hand lapped and factory barrels, since the difference in difficulty in cleaning them is considerable. My lapped stainless barrels require much less effort to keep clean, especially when shooting warm loads of VV powder.

I still have a bottle of sweets. But hey you gotta use KG1 before you use KG12 bro. Even coyotes know that?

Actually I didn't know that. Course I don't use KG1 or KG12. A salesman at the local gunshop had a bottle of KG12 and was pushing it to be without a doubt the best copper solvent ever made.

I told him I doubted it and we put it to the test against sweets, using the penny method.

At the time I had never heard of KG12 and haven't heard of KG1 till now, and the salesman didn't mention using KG1 first. I don't think he was much of a salesman.

Anyway, after I showed him how badly the Sweets spanked the KG12, he gave me the bottle of KG12 and I bent the penny and dropped it in it. That was over two years ago, and the penny is still in the bottle out on the shelf in my shop. Granted, it has dissolved some but still there.

Back