Sweets 7.62

J

jaybic

Hello all,

I have a question for anyone that might know this.

I usually clean copper with Sweets and I know you are not supposed to leave it in the barrel more that 15 mins, but I also heard recently that you cannot safely use it with certain other cleaners due to the fact that it may chemically react with others and harm my new barrel.

I have been also using Butches boreshine and JB paste on my rifles and dont want to ruin any of them.

Anyone heard this or know anything about it before I make a very expensive mistake?

Thanks,

Jamie

I believe that there was a specific issue flagged between Sweets & Shooters Choice products long time back. However, since the manufacturers don't give me any advice on the composition of their products that would allow me, a person without any chemical skill or knowledge, to assess the potential for reaction with any other product, I always flush out my barrels with alcohol patches between brands.

I have left Sweets in a couple of my SS Kriegers overnight by accident twice and no damage per the BS! Use Sweets all of the time and have never had any problems with it --- also use Butches for the first brushing event then patch it out and in with the Sweets followed by Iosso if it needs carbon removed.

Sweets

I did a test with Sweets on the outside of a barrel, applied on bare steel thick near muzzle then enclosed in plactic bag taped on to slow evaporation. Let sit for a weekend, upon inspection Monday morning no evidence of pitting could be seen.

A friend of mine left Sweets in a .308 barreled Garand over night. It's a Crow Bar now. I have the barrel, and just looking into it without a bore scope, it looks like craters on the moon. Sweets is an excellent product, does a great job of cleaning copper out of my M1A, follow manufacturers instructions. Mixing cleaning solutions, to me, is like mixing gun powders. just my 2 cents worth. Ron

sweets, sweets, sweets

If you ever get a chance to use Bore Tech Elimator Bore Cleaner you will never use Sweets again...........................................................................................................

A friend of mine left Sweets in a .308 barreled Garand over night. It's a Crow Bar now. I have the barrel, and just looking into it without a bore scope, it looks like craters on the moon. Sweets is an excellent product, does a great job of cleaning copper out of my M1A, follow manufacturers instructions. Mixing cleaning solutions, to me, is like mixing gun powders. just my 2 cents worth. Ron

Now ---- where do you think the Sweets goes when it passed the gas port? Be very careful!!

I cleaned my Dad's 22 Hornet once with Sweet's. Didn't even let that barrel sit more than a few minutes. When I looked down the bore it was full of pits!

In this case, the pits were just hidden by years of built-up crap and all the Sweet's had done was clean them out. My Dad wasn't really big on cleaning his rifles.

Many years ago, there was an article in a shooting magazine authored by a gunsmith. He swabbed a bore with Sweets and left it sit overnight. Next day, cleaned the barrel, then cut it in half and photographed the pitting in the barrel. The pitting was extensive. This was about 20 yrs. ago; I do not recall name of the magazine nor the smith.

I second Bore Tech Eliminator, I use it every day on customers guns. No ammonia, no smell, safe enzime based and it cleans great. On my custom rifles with lapped barrels it only takes a few patches, send one through every 5-10 minutes and it will only take 3-4 wet patches.
Jim

sweets over night never as hurt any of my rifles, bought a 6mm VS a few years back, patched it out every 25-30 minutes all day, still was coming out purple, hell I wet it down left it over night,,,,,,, for 4 days, patched 3-4 times a day,,,,,,,,,,,,, finally got somewhat clean, 5-6 shots and clean for the next week, after 6 months I finally got it clean, I bet in that 6 months the barrel had sweets 3/4 of the time,,,,,, still shoots good and cleans easy too,,,,,,,,,,,,, now if any of mine ain't clean it soaks overnight,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

In its day sweet was sweet!

I used that stuff for many years. Then came wipe out? Ya its messy and slow. But they also provide an accelerator that speeds the process up. But Wipe out has also been surpassed by" KG systems" It works super fast and it gets it all in minutes. Its called KG12. But first use KG1 in fact they have a whole kit . Do a search on the web. On another forum they dropped a Jacketed bullet in all the cleaning solutions on the market. ALL OF THEM !:eek: Then they came back I think 12 hours later. Sweet did some etching others did next to nothing But KG12 ate huge craters all over the bullet. Plus the stuff smells like citrus juice. Their KG1 goes crazy when it makes contact with Carbon. :D

I have used sweets 7.62 all my life at home and in the military and with other products like JB and kroil and other solvents . However I don't mix solvents in the barrel.
I wash out well before changing a solvent.
Also with gas operated autos you have to clean out the gas plug and port area and piston anyway after solvent and it is not a big problem as far as I have experienced.
I have never seen Sweets ruin a barrel .
If you really want to see some copper eating action use ferric chloride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ferric Chloride

Is that stuff easily purchased? What pre-cautions would we need to ad here to.Fumes?

You won't...

Hello all,

I have a question for anyone that might know this.

I usually clean copper with Sweets and I know you are not supposed to leave it in the barrel more that 15 mins, but I also heard recently that you cannot safely use it with certain other cleaners due to the fact that it may chemically react with others and harm my new barrel.

I have been also using Butches boreshine and JB paste on my rifles and dont want to ruin any of them.

Anyone heard this or know anything about it before I make a very expensive mistake?

Thanks,

Jamie

You won't have any trouble with stainless barrels with ANY of the products you've mentioned. In my opinion, the "15 minute" rule is an urban myth.

virg

In my opinion...

Many years ago, there was an article in a shooting magazine authored by a gunsmith. He swabbed a bore with Sweets and left it sit overnight. Next day, cleaned the barrel, then cut it in half and photographed the pitting in the barrel. The pitting was extensive. This was about 20 yrs. ago; I do not recall name of the magazine nor the smith.

In my opinion, both have faded into their proper obscurity.

If you have mixed Sweets with any other solvent especially Butch's in your barrel, then your fire arm is absolutly ruined. It will only be good to throw away. Don't even think about shooting it again. It just isn't worth the risk.
What you need to do is dispose of it so no one can get injured by it.
In most areas you will be charged about $150 to properly dispose of your firearm. But lucky for you down here in Austin I can get your rifle taken care of for the cost of shipping it here. So if you can get it to me I will do you the favor of disposing of it. And probalby the ammor and brass you have for it are ruined as will. I can probably get that disposed of as well.

Ted

Ted,

I thank you for your concern for the well being of myself and my my rifles and I am considering shipping them to you with all remaining ammo and supplies...dies...ect..ect.:D

Its not every day that a fellow shooter would put his life on the line for my safety and simultaniously expose himself to risk by fooling with my ruined rifles. I am in fact so moved by your selfless gesture that must return the favor by not allowing you to put yourself in a dangerous situation like this so I will continue to bear the burden of owning them and suffer what ever consequences may come.:)

I do thank you for your generous offer though!

Jamie

If the cleaning is finished with some kind of oil everything would be ok. Sweet's is water based I've heard.

Back