stuck barrel

Hi Al,

Thanks for the offer. I am curious to see what Jeff does with it. I will post the results. I have learned a lot from everyone's post and I hope the knowledge shared will help other shooters with the same dilemma.

Sincerely,

Bill McIntyre

At this point, patience is your 'smiths best friend. It probably just needs more 'ooomph' put to it, as Dave mentioned.

Leverage with the proper action wrench and Kroil will likely get it done....and maybe a hydraulic press. If there isn't adequate lube between the barrel shank and the action face, some of those can really 'BANG' when they break loose. Scared the beejeezus out of me the first time I heard one do that at Stan's shop...a Hall in a small hydraulic press. :eek: Stan thought it was pretty funny to see me jump. :D

Good shootin' -Al

Oooops.... I just remembered, this is a BAT...... that front screw hole is probably blind. Scratch all I said about running Kroil into the front screw hole.

Sorry.

But as you said, it's out of your hands now anyway :) Jeff will get it off just fine.

well, true... but then the anti-sieze is just grease

Not at all.
We had aircraft grade anti-seize that used a different type of SS than the fittings it was applied to.
Worked very nicely on higher pressure hydraulics with very large temperature swings.
Think desert ground environment down to -70C, sometimes lower than -100C.

Climb out took less about 60 minutes.

Mt. Pinatubo really put a chill on the higher altitudes.

We had ram air cooled units experience 'electron freeze out' the cooling air became so cold.
The hot cold band gap in the semiconductor actually separates.
No "semiconductor" action can occur over the junction.

The Lockheed aeronautical engineers came up with the idea.
The powdered SS was very finely ground.

Last edited:
At this point, patience is your 'smiths best friend. It probably just needs more 'ooomph' put to it, as Dave mentioned.

Leverage with the proper action wrench and Kroil will likely get it done....and maybe a hydraulic press. If there isn't adequate lube between the barrel shank and the action face, some of those can really 'BANG' when they break loose. Scared the beejeezus out of me the first time I heard one do that at Stan's shop...a Hall in a small hydraulic press. :eek: Stan thought it was pretty funny to see me jump. :D

Good shootin' -Al

I hate the 'BANG'

I don't DO the 'BANG'

The 'BANG' is hard on glue joints

The 'BANG' is why I'm devoting most of my time right now to finding another way than glue-in :)

You put a barreled action in my hands, I'll just ooze it apart, no 'BANG' needed

Years ago I made up a special wrench for Remington actions that did not want come off. It captured the whole front receiver ring on the O.D. including the recoil lug and a sacrificial front guard screw. I made up a steel bushing to fit the factory barrel that captured 2” over the chamber. My barrel vice is quite a husky affair. In other words there is no way to bend or distort the barrel or action with this set up. The key to this set up is a couple of good strikes with a dead blow hammer. There is a first time for everything but in the last fifty years this set up has never failed me. I got the idea from Douglas.

P.S.
This is not a solution to galling

Well, yeahh.... that's anti-sieze. What's your point?

I don't agree about anti-sieze being "better". Anti-sieze has large particles of (AL, CU, etc)
in it which build up on the action face and abutting surface.... that said, I do use lead-based (illegal) in situations
where I'd like to bulk back a little on my timing.

It id not always just "larger particles of (AL, CU, etc)".

Or did you forget you posted that erroneous statement.
And lead based paint is not illegal in an application like this.
It is illegal for the most part in residential housing.
It can also still be used in inaccessible locations in many places.

It is painfully expensive if you need to get some since the production volume is very very low.

update on barrel

Hi,
I got a text from Jeff Peinhardt early yesterday and he said he was soaking the barrel. Probably with Kroil. Later on I got a text that the barrel was off and it did not require the action to be unglued. That was a relief! He has a barrel of mine he will be chambering for that rifle and with the weather we are having here in the Philly suburbs, there is no rush on my part!

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Just placed my reservation for a place to stay for the Hog Roast Match in May. It is always nice having something to look forward to!

Bill McIntyre

Hi,
I got a text from Jeff Peinhardt early yesterday and he said he was soaking the barrel. Probably with Kroil. Later on I got a text that the barrel was off and it did not require the action to be unglued. That was a relief! He has a barrel of mine he will be chambering for that rifle and with the weather we are having here in the Philly suburbs, there is no rush on my part!

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Just placed my reservation for a place to stay for the Hog Roast Match in May. It is always nice having something to look forward to!

Bill McIntyre

Tincture of time and some penetrating solvent.

Back