stuck 220 swift

Bro.D

Let me start by saying I don't know the story to how this case got stuck, but I get the creapy feeling that something was not quite what it should have been. I need a little council on how to remove this piece of brass from the chamber. It is a 220 Swift and the case separated just above the web. I tried to use a bore brush pushed into the neck but the case is stuck too tightly for the brush trick. What would be your next method? I'm soaking it in Kroil hoping that will loosen it...I have access to a lathe and was wondering if I should use a tap run into the brass and then pulling on the tap like you would removing a case from a FL die. Let me know some of your ideas that have worked for you in the past. Thanks! Bro.D

This Has Worked For Me

Let me start by saying I don't know the story to how this case got stuck, but I get the creapy feeling that something was not quite what it should have been. I need a little council on how to remove this piece of brass from the chamber. It is a 220 Swift and the case separated just above the web. I tried to use a bore brush pushed into the neck but the case is stuck too tightly for the brush trick. What would be your next method? I'm soaking it in Kroil hoping that will loosen it...I have access to a lathe and was wondering if I should use a tap run into the brass and then pulling on the tap like you would removing a case from a FL die. Let me know some of your ideas that have worked for you in the past. Thanks! Bro.D

This sounds crude, but I have used a long gunsmith type, hollow ground screwdriver being very careful not to touch anything on the way into the case. A little forward pressure and a turning of the driver will loosen a real stuck case and if it doesn't come out on the driver, it will be easy to remove.
Good Luck ---Bill

These broken cases usually aren't "stuck", just cannot be extracted because there is nothing to grab.

I've removed a few separated cases by pushing a new bore brush up into the case neck from behind until it binds, then unscrew the rod, leaving the brush in the case neck. Put a jag on the rod and come in from the muzzle and lightly bump the case free. The brush bristles don't want to reverse in the tight neck and so get a grip.

If this doesn't work first time, step up one caliber in brush size and try again.

I've had really good luck soaking it in kroil then taking a 90 degree sharp pick, insert carefully into the chamber and let it "bite" into the brass and then pull it out. I've done several this way and it's worked every time.

For the record, Brownells makes a stuck case remover if you want to go that route. I haven't bought one cause I've never had one that wouldn't come out with the pick.

Now, the rest of the story...

this is what I learned about the stuck case. The shooter chambered a round and must have really leaned on the bolt to get it closed. Realizing this was not a good move he tried to remove the case to chamber a new one. The case was stuck and and the shooter was not able to pull the round out with the bolt. I think the neck was too long and wedged in the throat area. The extracter pulled the rim off of the round. So, the case is still stuck and there is no rim left to grab on to. This is where things get weird and I do not have an explanation for what happened next. The shooter removes the bolt, places a cleaning rod down the muzzle, and begins tapping on the cleaning rod to remove the stuck case. How this happened I do not know but the round went off! The back of the case goes out the back. The stock splits in two...not sure about the cleaning rod but I'm sure it is a far distance down range. Shooter is not hurt but does offer up a prayer of thanksgiving and repentance.
I'm telling you, the remaining case was stuck. The bore brush technique had not effect. I even went up to a .30 cal brush and it bristles reversed themselves. I finally got a 3/8-16 tap to grab the inside of the case. My tailstock was not able to pull it out, the morris taper was not strong enough to pull it out. I finally got an old cleaning rod out, put it through the muzzle and lightly tapped on the front of the tap. No good. I'm too far along to give up now so I take a pretty good rap on it...no good! Three strong hits later the case comes flying out. I used about the same force as I would in driving in a 16d nail. Quite the afternoon!

What do you think; Is the chamber toast? Is the barrel toast? I've thought about setting the chamber back about .025 and seeing if it will shoot worth a hoot. I don't have access to a bore scope so I have no idea what, if anything happened to the bore. How would you proceed? Thanks, Bro.D

Holy cows . . . :eek:

That's really not quite the stuck case scenario one sees a lot . . .

I think I'd have a 'smith bore scope it, check headspace and chamber cast that rascal. With all that action, I'd think you're looking at some throat gouges and a little crown damage at minimum, and if he actually used it to launch a rod, it might also be bulged . . . :(

Back