Stu Harvey Passed Away

RCE1

Sadly, I must report the passing of my friend and mentor, Stu Harvey. Stu was a master barrel fitter, gunsmith, bullet maker and competitor. I feel privileged to have known him. He set several records, won countless matches and was a strong competitor his entire adult life. His personal collection is like a history of benchrest thinking. He passed surrounded by his family in Placerville, CA.

I am sorry to hear that. Stu was a good guy whose benchrest career spanned many decades. At one time he was in the record book. My condolences to his family. He will be missed.

A great loss.

It was such a disappointment to learn of the passing
of Stu Harvey. What a guy. :)

I am so thankful for the time and conversations shared with Stu.
He will be greatly missed.

Gene Beggs

Sorry to hear

Stu was my first gunsmith in Benchrest many years ago. He was still shooting until last year; he visited us at the range this year and was still sharp in mind but frail in body.

I personally new stu and traved to the cactus with him a few times. He was truly a book of knowledge in the benchrest world. His gunsmithing and bullet making expertise where second to none. My condolences to his family.
Gabe

In addition...

Not everybody knows this, but Stu was just hell on ground squirrels. I wonder if there isn't some place in Heaven like Valhalla, where you have this amazing day in the alfalfa fields, a huge steak dinner at a dive-y cafe, camaraderie back at the motel cleaning rifles and drinking beers and in the morning the squirrels have all been brought back and you get to do it all over again. Stu would really like something like that.

I can't really believe he's gone. I got his lathe and most of his shop tools. If I want to talk to him, I guess I can just go downstairs and run that Clausing. If there was ever a tool that was imbued with a personality, that's certainly one.

Stu was also an avid cast bullet Schuetzen benchrest competitor and was a regular at our club matches just a few years back until his health would no longer allow him to do so. It was always enjoyable to be seated next to him he was a true Gentleman who was admired by all in our group, a very dedicated competitor, friend and one who always shared his knowledge freely.

JLouis

I was travelling to Tacoma, WA for a BR match and stopped at rest area on I-5 in Oregon; there was Stu on his way to a cast bullet match in OR. Here we were 500 miles from home running into each other!

Stu was a salesman for 3M in his work career. He was still quite the salesman at BR matches, extolling the virtues of this product or that, talking you into buying something you didn't think you needed but he said you Had to have!

Sorry to hear about Stu as well. Years ago I bought some BLC powder from Stu to use in .22 Waldog's. Stu had been using it for shooting ground squirrels. Talked to him quite a bit over the years and he was certainly a wealth of knowledge. He will be missed.

Sorry to hear about Stu as well. Years ago I bought some BLC powder from Stu to use in .22 Waldog's. Stu had been using it for shooting ground squirrels. Talked to him quite a bit over the years and he was certainly a wealth of knowledge. He will be missed.

There is still quite a bit of that powder, believe it or not.

There will be a memorial celebration in honor of Stu in Placerville, CA, on August 19th at 12:00. PM if you would like further details.

Back