Stolen Rifles

Bet they’d like to shoot their stolen gun before trading it for drugs. The problem is, where do you find ammo for one? Keeping a few “proof” rounds in the case with the rifle sure could help them out.

I was at the Super Shoot on Friday and after hearing this story it does not surprise me. This was the first event I have ever attended so I didn't know what to expect. There was absolutely no security, no front gate to pay to get in. I walked around this whole event to take it all in and everywhere you looked there were guns resting in their cleaning vises with no one in sight by them. Before hearing this story and as I was walking around, I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. Like I said before, I am new to this so i didn't know what to expect or what the norm was. I understand that the equipment needs to be left out like that because it would be such a pain to haul everything back in and out each time. I know that this specific situation did not happen at the range but at a gas station but I was still amazed. It's just unfortunate what today has become. Years ago we would leave our windows open when we went to bed, leave our doors unlocked when we left the house, but now it's completely different. Most people lock themselves inside the house when they are home during the day. More robberies are happening during the day now more than ever.

I'm sorry that your rifles are stolen and maybe someday we can come up with a way to track these stolen rifles at events like this, i agree that each rifle should be checked in at the start of a match for this reason. It's just like a cashier asking to see your photo I.D. when you use your debit card. Some people get upset when they ask for your I.D. but in reality, that person is doing you a favor.

I hope they find your guns. Good Luck.

Butch, it would not be listed unless the owner turned in the serial # as stolen firearm. I had 7 stolen,, 3
BR rifles, one only a month old, Hall S #835,, Nesika BR #003 and XP-100 w/brown and gold metalflake stock , along w/2 varmint rifles, by Messer and two hunting rifles. Never seen or heard from any. This was 1998. Seems to me @ least one would have surfaced by now.
I have bought several rifles. 95% of those went through an FFL holder. If stolen wouldn't it be listed as stolen when the FFL calls it in? I have not done a face to face purchase from an unknown person.

I'm sure it may have happend , but I never heard of a rifle being stolen @ a registered match and I used to shoot 10 to 17 matches yearly ,1985-2006. I don't care for any type of gun registration, or the hassle it would put on the range owners/match directors. Every bench rifle I've heard of being stolen was from a vehicle or a residence. This problem will only get worse , if citizens fail to vote freedom and the right to defend property. I don't fully understand Texas law, but I agree w/what I've heard about people protecting their s and their neighbors property.
I was at the Super Shoot on Friday and after hearing this story it does not surprise me. This was the first event I have ever attended so I didn't know what to expect. There was absolutely no security, no front gate to pay to get in. I walked around this whole event to take it all in and everywhere you looked there were guns resting in their cleaning vises with no one in sight by them. Before hearing this story and as I was walking around, I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. Like I said before, I am new to this so i didn't know what to expect or what the norm was. I understand that the equipment needs to be left out like that because it would be such a pain to haul everything back in and out each time. I know that this specific situation did not happen at the range but at a gas station but I was still amazed. It's just unfortunate what today has become. Years ago we would leave our windows open when we went to bed, leave our doors unlocked when we left the house, but now it's completely different. Most people lock themselves inside the house when they are home during the day. More robberies are happening during the day now more than ever.

I'm sorry that your rifles are stolen and maybe someday we can come up with a way to track these stolen rifles at events like this, i agree that each rifle should be checked in at the start of a match for this reason. It's just like a cashier asking to see your photo I.D. when you use your debit card. Some people get upset when they ask for your I.D. but in reality, that person is doing you a favor.

I hope they find your guns. Good Luck.

Larry, this happen to some of my friends with hi grade shot guns. After trying to recover them with no luck. They hired a Private Investigator from the area that the guns were stollen from. This PI did his job and got the guns back! Lots of foot work and asking questions lead to a girl friend of the criminal. She turned him in HAHA he probably pissed her off.

The local police here do more checking on the owner to see if they are committing insurance fraud than they do in trying to catch the thieves.

"I don't fully understand Texas law, but I agree w/what I've heard about people protecting their s and their neighbors property."

I can't agree with you more.

Fall out from the Trayvon Martin case has prompted one(Maybe Others) Texas State Senator to request a review of the Texas Law for possible Modification.

The Liberal arguments against the Texas Law are getting louder. Changes are unlikely to occur. That's just the way it is down here in Texas,when it involves second amendment rights.

Glenn

"I just think that a bench gun is only good for one thing shooting papper. Sooner or later those stolen guns will surface somewhere. I think we would be surprised how many stolen guns are being shot now at matches by good honest people who dont even have a clue. When you buy a gun off the internet and have it shipped you really know nothing about the history of the gun exept what you are told. Thieves whould stop taking them if could not sell them or use them. I cant imagine someone risk stealing a gun to have a $3,000 rifle to shoot on the home range." "Quote"

I would have to disagree. I would just about bet that there are zero stolen guns on any firing line at any of the matches i attend. Benchrest shooters are not dummies, actually quite the opposite. I dont think there is anyone here, who would buy a rifle they didnt feel comfortable with. Just my take.

I had about 10 grand or more worth of Over Unders stolen from my folks garage several years ago. I didnt have my own place at the time to clean or reload, so i did all of that at my folks place. One Sunday evening after entertaining some friends, and shooting all day, i dropped off my shotguns with the intent to come back in the AM to clean. Well I came back, but the guns were gone. The police tried to blame me for it after they found out i had insurance. Needless to say, they didnt focus there attention on me for very long. Actually they didnt focus much attention anywhere. One year after all this, one of my hard cases showed up at a local gun auction here in town. I knew it was mine because the hard case had combo locks with the exact combination i had programmed into the case. The police still didnt do anything. they said that they would have to have a full confession from the individual that brought it in, and that fella claimed to know nothing. That very well may be true? I dont know!! I received about 80% of the money i had invested and started over. I learned a few things from that experience. Some good, some not so good. Lee

I wonder if it would be possible to place a tracking chip just like the ones used on pets under the action. Not sure what the cost would be but if it was stollen it could be tracked to its location. Even if you only had one gun chiped and all your guns were stollen they should be able to recover all of them. Just remove the butt plate and drill a small hole in the stock to place the chip in the plug the hole. I just hate hearing about someones guns being stolen. Some of my most treasured guns would be worth the least to someone else selling or trading them. You cant replace family history no matter how much insurance you have.

I wonder if it would be possible to place a tracking chip just like the ones used on pets under the action. Not sure what the cost would be but if it was stollen it could be tracked to its location. Even if you only had one gun chiped and all your guns were stollen they should be able to recover all of them. Just remove the butt plate and drill a small hole in the stock to place the chip in the plug the hole. I just hate hearing about someones guns being stolen. Some of my most treasured guns would be worth the least to someone else selling or trading them. You cant replace family history no matter how much insurance you have.

I bet there is a way, a few years ago they were talking about putting RFID chips in staples to track paperwork, sounds funny. I know this because I worked for ABBOTT who makes "Ensure" baby formula,and a ton of other stuff as a package designer . They put one of these small chips in every single package so they can track it. It can't be expensive and if you think about it, i'm sure someone has already run into this same situation and developed something for this purpose. Put a RFID chip in anything you don't want stolen. If these chips are not out yet for people like you and I to purchase yet, i'm sure they will be soon.

The RFID chips are exceedingly short range. It's nothing like using GPS on an iPhone to find one when it's lost.

Think like the "Home Again" and "Pet Finder" chips that people put in pets. It's only useful because the shelters and vets all have a universal scanner to read them *and* there is a service that links the unique ID that they carry to the owner's contact info.

Best,

Greg J.

The hole chip idea brings up another set of questions. In most cases i wouldnt want anyone especially any government run agency to know were my guns are at any given time. Even a private ran company. If they can track your firearms then all it takes is for that info to fall into the wrong hands. if in the wrong hands, it would be like having a direct map to were to were your guns are. If someone knows you have them, then they know were to steal them. I dont even want anyone to know how many firearms i own. I am not a betting man, but i would just about bet before long there will be some type of legislation pertaining to firearm tracking. If not already. Lee

Last edited:
The hole chip idea brings up another set of questions. In most cases i wouldnt want anyone especially any government run agency to know were my guns are at any given time. Even a private ran company. If they can track your firearms then all it takes is for that info to fall into the wrong hands. if in the wrong hands, it would be like having a direct map to were to were your guns are. If someone knows you have them, then they know were to steal them. I dont even want anyone to know how many firearms i own. I am not a betting man, but i would just about bet before long there will be some type of legislation pertaining to firearm tracking. If not already. Lee

Great point

Back