Stocking a sporter rifle...

dickw

I have been at loose ends this winter and decided to stock a rifle that I've had a lot of fun with for a few years. This is a CZ 452 American in 17HMR. I have done a lot of accurizing work on this gun over the years and have always wanted a more elegant stock. I called CZ and they gave me a take-off stock that was slightly damaged and a few other parts I needed.

This is what I have so far. I got a really good blank from a friend and have spent a lot of time whittling on the take-off stock. Note there's lots of Bondo. A friend has a good duplicating machine and the blank is now being machined to match the pattern.

This is my first time posting a picture on this site... What could go wrong?

Dick Wright

More pics if there is any interest.

Last edited:
Interesting

Dick,

That is a nice looking blank. Seeing a few photos as you do the fit and finish would be quite interesting to me. I hope you have a lot of fun doing it.

Pete

Dick,
By all means, more pictures. Of course there is interest. Also, for those who may not know, please tell of your stock making background.
Boyd

O.k.

This is a close-up of the schnable on the fore end. I have no machine tools except a Dremel so this was done by hand with the Dremel and a carbide burr. Not well finished but this is just a pattern. Note the Bondo.

Thirty-plus years ago I was an associate member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. The only way one could get to be a full member was to make one's living making guns... and I had a job that paid better. I did it as a hobby because I loved them and ended up making a few nice guns. I haven't done one in thirty years.

I really like doing this and Glorya likes to have me doing it. (Keeps me out of bars and bar fights during the winter.) Anyway, as soon as I get the machined blank back I am going to try very hard to finish the rifle by the time warm weather gets here.

Can't wait to see how the blank comes out after machining. It is one nice piece of French walnut.

Note the really messy workbench... one of my trademarks.

Dick

Last edited:
Plenty of interest here, Dick. It's great to read something from you again and I look forward to following this project.

Looks just like my workbench. Good to hear from you--miss your articles in PS a lot. Your schnabel looks pretty good for an old man.......:cool:

Back