stock spiderweb effect

L

lostdot

just wondering does anyone know how to do the spiderweb effect that they have on some factory stocks. iv been doing quite a bit of stock mods and paint but i have not figured out how to do it any help would be appreciated. only really want to know for my own paint jobs

eg. weatherby accumark stocks

cheers

rob

Problem with Krylon is that cleaning solvents will attack it. You really need a two part poly like Polane. There is a spray gun for the effect I think but I don't remember who makes it. I have not tried to do it but I have heard of mixing polystyrene foam (insulation) into the paint to make it kind of stringy. I have also heard of waiting until it has started to cure and is the same way but I don't think that would be a good repeatable way to do it.

I have used Endura paint to paint a rough finish on hunting stocks . You can do "spiderweb" with the same method -just a lighter application with another colour.

The very best time to spray this is summer time at 90 degrees outside.

First do a wet coat with the standard paint .Let the stock sit for twenty minutes .Then add Endura thickner to the paint in the gun .

Stand back and experiment with air pressure -distance from the stock.
High pressure fine splatter -low pressure the paint strings.The paint will slightly dry before it lands .

Of course you need a proper spray gun -compressor set up and lots of expensive paint to do it this way.

Glenn:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob

Sherwin Williams Polane
gravity feed gun
low pressure
hi volume
No need to use a reducer

I spray a paper towel to check the pattern
When you get it right it looks like your slinging snot through the air.
Sorry but that's the best way to describe it.

Dave

Pressure pot gun

What Dave says works and the use of a dual pressure gun works even better for the Polane. You adjust atomizing and pot pressure to get the stringy effect.

I have seen it done using modeling glue and duracoat and a cheap airbrush gun.

Krylon web spray

once you're done with the Krylon simply overcoat it with the satin clear duracoat

that will protect it from solvents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have the color codes/names they were spraying with Polane. I want a flat OD green type color. I am also interested in a tan color and of course black. I called sherwin williams and they need to mix the green up for me. Thanks

Back