Stock question

J

Just Mike

I am planning to modify the forend on a factory rifle for benchrest. What is the most common width used? Will this modification throw the rifle out of factory class?

Thanks for your replies.

Mike C

In most cases I think factory class will require a factory stock. You did not state where you plan to shoot and this will make a difference. Many clubs shoot a factory class that is not formally sanctioned so the rules are whatever the club decides.

Thanks for the quick reply. It pretty much answers the classification question. I will have to make the modfication detachable.

Any comments on width? I checked IBS rules and found no specified width. I am thinking (guessing) that the few I have seen are two and one half inches wide. Does that seem about right?

It would be easier to answer if you tell us where you intend to shoot this thing.

You're asking in the 1K forum, so on the assumption you mean for 1K shooting, 3" is the norm, and only PA has a restriction to that dimension. The IBS does not restrict that, though probably 99% of IBS light guns are 3" or thereabouts.

Having a 3" forend does make it easier to borrow a rest on the days where you forget yours at home.

4Mesh

Yep, you are correct I posted it here on the 1000 yd forum because I will be shooting those matches. Guess I should have made it more clear.

About forgetting the rest, That would not have been a problem when I forgot the rifle last year!

Mike,

there's been many a day I wished I'd forgot my rifle and had to borrow one! :D

I checked IBS rules and found no specified width. I am thinking (guessing) that the few I have seen are two and one half inches wide. Does that seem about right?
Mike
IBS does not have a formal factory class. We do encourage individual clubs to allow factory class shooters to compete where practical. Hence any rules for Factory class will be set at the local club level and what is eligible to shoot as factory at one range may not necessarily be legal at another.

Standard Width for Hunter & Var Hunter class rifles rifles is not to exceed 2-1/4 " Varmint Classes allow max of 3".

I believe many places an altered stock would not be considered a factory rifle.

There are wide forend adapters made one is RW Harts accuracy asset, some clubs allow their use some do not, but at least they are easily removable.

Dick Grosbier

I shot a factory rifle in a 600yd match with one of those things that sinclair sells It's a flat bottom cradle sort of thing that connects to the rifle at the sling stud hole. I wasn't told I couldn't shoot it in factory class. Maybe if I had some one might have complained though.

Dick Grosbier

Thanks for the info. Maybe I should explain what I am trying to do:

I understand that F class is not governed by IBS but NRA long range. I am just starting in long range and plan on shooting the rifle in both types of matches to get as much range time as possible. I don't have the resources for a full blown BR rifle (yet) so will be using Savage 12 in F T/R without the wide forend but a bi-pod instead. I can use it in the BR matches. I am thinking it will help with the torque of the .308. As far as class goes I don't really care, I will shoot it in both LG and HG again for the range time.

I am a tinkerer and will enjoy the making of such a thing. The F/TR has an accessery rail inletted in the forend. I will make it so I can just slide it in there for easy installation and removal.

At my age and experience level I will never be a serious competitor but I bet I have just as much fun as everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 inches is by far the most widely used width in long range rifles as well as short range (except short range hunter class which is 2.25" max) If you do not already have a front rest you are planning to use then you may consider something wider. Unless you have the ability to make your own front rest this may be a more expensive option because you will have to pay someone to make you a wider top to handle a wider front bag. You can purchase bags in most any width you want. In IBS 1000 and 600 yd BR we do not have a width restriction. One thing you might consider is to do a 4 or 5 inch and offset it so there is more leverage to resist the torque. This would be very easy to accomplish with the accessory rail setup you have. If you make your add on from steel this will add some weight which will help as well. You can go up to 17 lbs. Your rifle is likely considerably lighter than that in it's stock configuration.

At my age and experience level I will never be a serious competitor but I bet I have just as much fun as everyone else.

Don't ever count yourself out. Sometimes inexperienced people with less than perfect equipment sometimes come out on top,

And the most important thing is to be doing something you enjoy. If I had to win to enjoy myself shooting I would be unhappy most of the time.

Dick

J. Pendergraft

Thanks for your suggestion about offset. I was aware of it but had forgotten or not thought about using it on this attatchment.

I am not quite sure I understand what you mean by 4 or 5 inches offset. If I use a total forarm width of 3" what would the distance from the center of the bore to the left edge of it be?

By the way these Savage 12's are heavy. With scope it weights 15 lbs. I do fiberglass repairs on boats therefor will construct this from balsa wood and fiberglass or probably carbon fiber. I also needed the reminder about weight for LG.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was saying you could use a 4 or 5 inch width instead of a 3 inch width. It would be difficult to get much offset with only a 3 inch width.

For some reason I thought that light guns were limited to a 3" forearm, I just looked through both IBS and NBRSA rules and saw no width limit just as others have posted. So now I am curious.
Does anyone shoot a light gun with a 5" forearm?
Why do most use a 3" forearm on a LG, rather than wider?
Inquiring minds want to know.:)
James

Back