Stock making?

pac-nor has a barrel weight calculator on their site, so oyu can punch in the #'s and see what difference there is between a 6, and 7mm hole in a barrel.

take the tip

from Butch .carbon fibre,makes for much stiffness and vibration dampening.western red cedar is also very soft and marks(dents) easily.
balsa wood is also a hard wood???? and gets pretty ridgid when the carbon fibre is laminated into it.I'm not sure off your rules but the channels your talking of machining in the fore end may be illegal.
Good luck jim

I think its legal. I've seen stocks with channels milled in the bottom, just not all the way through or past where it rides in the bags. I will research before I show up at a match with one though. Thanks for the heads up.
I think there is a difference between the eastern and western cedars. Not sure how much on that either.
Jim

Terry Leonard makes a very nice bench stock from cedar and carbon. Very light, very, very strong, and the cosmetics are quite nice.

wear a respirator when working with it and you should be fine.

Good luck with your project.

When selecting wood, you may have to go through a big stack of lumber. We found some redwood pieces that were 3 times the weight of others. A lot of wood places wouldn't let us select and we went else where.
Butch

Hey Butch, how bout some close up shots of that stock?
I'd like to kinda see whats going on with the laminate. You can send them pm if you want.
Any other woods that would be cool to make a stock from?
I like the sound of using Balsa and composites.
I'm still collecting parts and materails for my saw, hope to get this thing finished by the end of Jan. Do you think a 15 hp is enough? I'm going to look at saw mill this weekend.
Jim

Back