Stock making?

Jim Mc

I am thinking of making a stock out of Cedar. Does anyone have any info about this they would like to share? I am making a saw mill now and will need to learn a lot. It seems that this would be a good choice, weight and strength seem good not to mention it smells good and doesn't rot:). Any drawbacks?

I am not sure about which wood was used, but I remember some stories of seriously toxic sawdust. Maybe someone else will recall. A story about some difficulties that Bob Metric experienced...?

I have a stock made from cedar on my IR5050 BR sporter. It's a 3 ply lamina ate with redwood .75" center and cream and red figured cedar on the sides. Great stock, very stable. I've set a couple of records with that rifle and won a lot of matches. I wouldn't hesitate to make a cedar stock if I had the right piece of wood.

Kent, why laminate? Is that for cosmetic reasons or structural? I was thinking of polished aluminum rails on the forearm sides to strengthen the forearm after milling Buick holes in the bottom.
Jim

Jim,
A friend of mine layed up the wood where the cedar grain is verticle and the redwood grain on the middle ply is horizontal. Also the grain of the cedar is pretty much the same on both sides. It's a baby doll stock:)He's a perfectionist as some of us are:) and I think he did it to insure stability. Now, bear in mind this is a lightweight stock with a 2-2/4" forearm for a rimfire BR sporter. It weighs 18 ozs. finished (automotive clearcoated)with an aluminum buttplate and the bedding and pillars in it. Pretty light. If you'll send me a PM with you email address I'll send you a pick if you'd be interested. I'm not sure how to post pics and the forum, and too lazy to learn.

Thanks Boyd and Don. That's good to know. I think I'll be working with the Eastern red (though I'll probably paint it). I don't think I am allergic to any trees.

Thanks Boyd and Don. That's good to know. I think I'll be working with the Eastern red (though I'll probably paint it). I don't think I am allergic to any trees.

Can you find a large enough blank in eastern red cedar? Most of those trees are fence post size--at least the ones that grow where I go. I've never seen one with a big trunk.

Yeah, it will be a little tough, but I have a few of my friends picked out. He said we could work something out. It took me awhile to find a couple big enough.
Jim

You could always laminate a blank... you would have the opportunity to hand-pick wood and there's less a chance of having defects in a 3/4" piece of wood than a 3" piece of wood.

This isn't about allergies. Breathing cedar dust is dangerous. A lot of people persist in thinking it's "allergies" and saying "I've walked by cedar trees and nothing happened" and "my house is sided with cedar and I ain't dead yet"....... this is about BREATHING the dust. It's wicked. Just wear a mask and you're safer.

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47346&highlight=cedar+dust

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47533&highlight=cedar+dust

al

Since some of my posts came up.......

I'd pass on western cedar just because it splinters badly. Its hard to work with hand tools. It is light, cheap and even readily available. I'm not so sure I'd worry all that much about the toxicity of cedar given normal precautions and precluding a known personal problem with that wood. But Redwood will make a nicer stock because it cuts cleaner and enough to glue up into a blank isn't crazy expensive.

Eastern cedar will be heavy like a walnut stock but if you're not concerned with weight then go for it, but you'll never make a LV rifle weight. I'd laminate most any wood to make it more stable and stiff.

Jim Peighthal has some of my blanks ready to cut to one of his many patterns. I think he's got an ad in the classifieds or email Jim at: jfp468@hotmail.com (I don't think any of those in the photos are mine)

I have a couple of butternut/carbon fiber blanks ready to go and I'll happily make more of different suitable woods if anyone is interested. PM me or holler at Jim Peighthal.

Here's pics of my cherry and carbon fiber score rifle. I've shot it two seasons now and its working fine. http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=408522#post408522

Henry... how about hacking out a pattern to be duplicated into the material of choice?

Henry... how about hacking out a pattern to be duplicated into the material of choice?

Jim P has all kinds of patterns, a good bit of wood on hand and he's easy to work with. He'll cut a stock for you or fit and finish it all the way.

This isn't about allergies. Breathing cedar dust is dangerous. A lot of people persist in thinking it's "allergies" and saying "I've walked by cedar trees and nothing happened" and "my house is sided with cedar and I ain't dead yet"....... this is about BREATHING the dust. It's wicked. Just wear a mask and you're safer.

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47346&highlight=cedar+dust

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47533&highlight=cedar+dust

al

+1, from experience

This is my redwood and carbon fiber laminate. It has both vertical and horizontal layers of carbon fiber.
SeymourandmiscPictures053.jpg

Our Buddy,Kav, who is in Afganistan did the flames and clear.
Butch

I am thinking of making a stock out of Cedar. Does anyone have any info about this they would like to share? I am making a saw mill now and will need to learn a lot. It seems that this would be a good choice, weight and strength seem good not to mention it smells good and doesn't rot:). Any drawbacks?

Jim I have made several sporter stocks from Eastern red cedar. What type stock are you wanting to make would be my first question. This wood will yield a light weight stock but if it is for hunting purposes, I don't know that I would want to use it. The wood I used on the stocks I made seemed to be brittle, and make me think it might not be too good against impacts.

I also had a little problem with some of the knots, though to me that really added that little extra character.

Mike

I had forgotten about this thread.
Butch, that is a fine looking stock. I've been thinking about carbon fiber or rather how to apply it and use it to strengthen a lighter stock.

I have read elsewhere where some woods produce problems when the dust from them are inhaled. I'll need to use caution.

At this point, I'm just thinking of a BR type stock. I got a thing for those 6br based cartridges, so no much recoil to worry about.
I came across some 12"dia. trees, so it looks like I'll get to use the heartwood. I'm learning about the other hardwoods and why Walnut is favored for wood working. My first thought was to use something strong and light and I like the way the heartwood of cedar looks.
I just can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for in other stock designs.
I don't understand why I haven't seen any slots milled in the bottom of the forend. It seems that it would serve a couple purposes, lighter, cooling, and act like rails in the bag. Anybody seen with them?
Anyway, I guess I have some stock checkering classes in my future. Can anybody teach me, puter style?

henrya

I just saw your post about the weight of cedar. I didn't realize how heavy it was. The site I was reading from implied that it was light. At any rate, what ever woods I elect to use, there won't be the normal amount. They told me I would never make weight with a 29" 1.25dia. tube in a Shehane tracker. It took me 20 mins. and 1/2" drill to make weight at the World open. fortunately nobody got hurt. I don't even know what a balanced gun should feel like.
Dwight Scott did a great job on my first gun, so I'll use that as a standard.
If I use a 7mm barrel how much lighter will it be then a 6mm. (bigger hole less material?)
Thanks Jim

Back