stock bedding

G

garrisone

I got a problem. I'm sure you are anxious to hear all about it"" The problem is who in this game is the best person to bed a rifle -do it right and not charge an arm and a leg to do it. I recently had a stock bedded and was charged $375.00. Was told that there was no movement in the action and stock. Well there is and the rifle shoots badly. I am disappointed and tired of paying for bad work and poor service. I have been willing to pay a reasonable price for good work but didn't get what I was promised. Thanks for listening to my rant If someone could suggest someone who can help me get my stock bedding mess straitened up I would appreciate it. garrisone.

after i paid 275.00 for this i called brian voelker a top 40x smth. 75.00 made me sick.

it pays to shop

bob

after i paid 275.00 for this i called brian voelker a top 40x smth. 75.00 made me sick.

it pays to shop

bob
Bob: You are in the same boat as I am. while I appreciate the recommendation of master stock I have to say that anything over $300.00 to bed a stock is too much . Will Master Stock guarantee that there will be no movement of the action. Who among you have used them and how good are they garrisone.

Master Stock does one of the prettiest jobs of bedding I have ever seen but....I don't know if he does rimfires? Also, you might want to give Tom Merdith of TM Stockworks a call (260-485-5389) he does great work.

Hovis

Alex is now working on my 3rd rimfire. so far completed a 40x, kimber 82g and working on a h&r m12. weds. I am dropping of a Stith stock for a cz sporter i am upgrading. his work is something else. give him a call and tell him what problems you are having. you can ask about the work he has done for me. I can show pics if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had Alex do a 40x rimfire for me and the work is flawless. The wait can be long though. The last job was bedding a Swindlehurst, that was done by Carl Bernosky. The wait was 6 weeks for the stock and bedding. The job was just as good as Alex's work. By that I mean perfect. Either man would get my future work, but my nod would go to Carl as I have got to meet him and feel he is as honest as they come.

John

give tom meredith at tm stockworks a try,never seen better work

Alex Sitmans

Bob: You are in the same boat as I am. while I appreciate the recommendation of master stock I have to say that anything over $300.00 to bed a stock is too much . Will Master Stock guarantee that there will be no movement of the action. Who among you have used them and how good are they garrisone.

Here is a picture of a bedding job on a stock that Alex had built for me. Remington 40X rimfire.

Attachments

• bedding job.jpg
    bedding job.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 562
Alex Sitman at MasterClass Stocks is the best.I have one gun with him right now and one going to him on wednesday and his wait time is 4 weeks right now.
Waterboy

At 4 375.00 i WILL LEARN TO DO IT MYSELF. Read a book on bedding practice on one or two and go for it. Then you can say it was bedded by the best, YOU!

Semper fi
pickles

I got a problem. I'm sure you are anxious to hear all about it"" The problem is who in this game is the best person to bed a rifle -do it right and not charge an arm and a leg to do it. I recently had a stock bedded and was charged $375.00. Was told that there was no movement in the action and stock. Well there is and the rifle shoots badly. I am disappointed and tired of paying for bad work and poor service. I have been willing to pay a reasonable price for good work but didn't get what I was promised. Thanks for listening to my rant If someone could suggest someone who can help me get my stock bedding mess straitened up I would appreciate it. garrisone.

Garrisone,

Several of the people mentioned are very good. I have a rifle bedded by Tom Meredith and it's a great job. I've heard good things about Master Class Stocks and Voelker. I don't think Master Class will be inexpensive but it will be Master Class.

I was pretty much in the same boat as you only I had not had my rifle bedded but wanted somebody who would do a good job at a reasonable cost. Moreover, I wanted somebody that I could drive to and not have to ship the rifle. Now that part won't help you, because you're in NC, but the person I chose is Shane Hatfield. He's probably the best kept secret in rifle bedding. He is a perfectionist and the rifle will not move after he is done with it. Now, I can't say for sure that Shane even wants to do anymore bedding jobs, but if you can get him, you will get a great bedding job at a reasonable cost.

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm more of a position shooter then bench, but I shoot a Russian made CM-2 - which has a rather non standard action, so I didn't want to bed it myself. I'd heard stories of mechanical lock and broken stocks from people trying to bed their own. After looking around I decieded to Ship it off to Alex Sitman, because of the pictures of his work that I've seen and to have him add an adjustable cheek piece. You do have to be patient, it will take some time to get the work done, but here's the pudding:

Before:

The russian inletting is Very Rough.

DSCF1191.jpg

DSCF1201.jpg

DSCF1202.jpg

Here's the finished bedding done by Alex. As a note, it's not super shiny like every other one I've seen done by him. But this is most likely due to the fact that the bottom of the CM-2 reciever is knurled and needed to be either filled in with clay, or separated from the bedding by a sheet of something to prevent mechanical lock with the bedding compound. I'm not sure how he did it, I didn't ask at the time.

DSCF1253.jpg

DSCF1256.jpg

Here's a pic of his adjustable cheek piece:

DSCF1252.jpg

The action now sits straight and true with no movement. I'm very happy with the work I've had done and glad I had him do it.

Sean

According to Alex's website, he charges $275 for a pillar bedding job. Going by the work he has done for me, it is money well spent.

John

The price for Alex to do a pillar bedding job depends on the number of pillars you need.
For my Borden action it is $225 because it only has 2 pillars and for my BAT action it is $250 because it has 3 pillars.
Waterboy

Back