Stinky hands

Zebra13

Gentlemen,

Yesterday, I had occassion to be sloshing around in my solvent tank and despite repeated washings, my hands stink something fierce. Last time I did this, they stank for a week. What is the trade secret...the witches brew...for getting rid of these type of smells on ones hands?

I know, I know...wear gloves.

Justin

Stinky Hands..

I am not sure I would advertising such a problem. Ha Ha

Try washing your hands in GoJo. I use the type with pumice.

You might soak your hands in lemon juice, the acid will remove most smells.

Nat Lambeth

wear gloves!!! Duhh!!!

skeetlee,

Gloves...yes...I thought I covered that in my post. Nevertheless, thank you for your eloquent and informative reply.

Anyway...I can't wear gloves when working on the lathe or mill, and the hands tend to get a bit funky from the cutting fluids. So the solvent tank aside, I'm still looking for something to help with stank hands.

Nat,

I just tried lemon juice and it worked like a charm on two fronts. One, it took the edge off the smell. Two, it quickly identified the presence of any cuts or scrapes on my hands!

Thanks,
Justin

Liquid dish soap

I use Lemon Joy or Dawn . Dawn cuts the grease/oils like crazy. these are the 2 types the wife buys so thats what I use. Even with a automatic dishwasher she prefers to wash by hand:eek:

suggestion

i used to work in industrial safety and i recall seeing an ad for barrier cream. they make some for wet environments. it was for use in environments were gloves posed a greater risk than ingested chemicals such as you discribed in machining. this would not only keep chemicals topically but also keep from ingesting chemicals in your blood stream.:eek: some chemicals get absorbed thru the skin and attack the liver. :( ones that come to mind are MEK and tri-clor. i am sure there are many more but with our MSDS list those came to mind first. :confused:
Fred

The citrus hand cleaners smell like orange and work not bad... leaves a much more pleasant smell...

A guy I knew who built auto tranny's for a living (meaning he was bathed in ATF all day) used this stuff called "nitty gritty" hand cleaner.

Magical chit!

+1 on toothpaste, also works great at removing tar from your hair, (don't ask)

Speaking of skunks...try tomato juice. That's what is supposed to take the stink off if you get "skunked". I've also heard of using milk.

------------Jeff

Best and cheapest.......

Mix up a paste or semi thick solution of Arm & Hammer baking soda and water. Rub that on your hands for a minute or 2 and rinse it off.
That's the only thing that would get the old (good stuff) carburetor cleaner smell off.
Bryan

Speaking of skunks...try tomato juice. That's what is supposed to take the stink off if you get "skunked". I've also heard of using milk.

------------Jeff

Tomato juice does work well for skunk. It's the only thing that I KNOW works. It doesn't work as well for mink musk.

I'm gonna' try the baking soder paste for some of my solvents.... might be the tip of the day eh! :)

al

Tomato juice has never worked when my beagles get sprayed......I now use Hydrogen Peroxide mixed with baking soda with a few drops of dishwashing soap....it even works better than the skunk spray remedy products you find in the pet stores.

Keep the solution out of the eyes......yours and the dogs.

Back