Stiller Python or BAT for Heavy Gun Bench rest

6BR

Hello, I would like some opinions on the Stiller Python Action. I am planning a future build and would like to know what action I should buy. I want to build a 300 WSM for 600/1000 yard bench rest competiton and for occational long range varminting. I will be using a big 1.450 STRT Cylinder 30" Bartlein Barrel. I am leaning towards the Stiller Python. It's large diameter, 1.650, will work very well for my large barrel. Also, the Python cost's $1000 and that inlcudes a built in scope base, recoil lug, 20MOA 30mm Rings and trigger guard. I am also looking at the BAT M 8.5 with a 1.550 diameter. I think either action will do the job, however, I would like to get some feed back before I buy. I will be using a Tooley MBR stock. I called Stiller today and they said it would take about 10 months for dilevery and the same for the BAT. I just need to figure this out so I can get the stock ordered from McMillan. Thanks for your help.

A 10"-inch BAT has a diameter of 2 inches. It won't fit in a Tooley MBR stock. I don't think the large Stiller Python will either. Bruce (BAT) made some 8-inch actions with a 2-inch diameter, I'd check on that 1.55 diameter; maybe he has that, too now.

As far as that goes, the MBR was not designed for a 1K Heavy Gun, it was designed for a 1K Light Gun.

As to the actions, both are superb. Remember that the BAT comes with a scope base, and uses the rear of the action for a recoil lug, so that is not an issue. The rings and trigger guard are the only "extras" with the Stiller.

They are different actions; the decision would have more to do with what you like (aesthetics) than the actions per se. Yes, I own both Stiller and BAT actions.

BTW, a 1.450 barrel is rather small for a 1K HG. Before I got into tensioned barrels, I used a 1.7-inch (tapered) barrel. But it will wrok, I used a 1.35 straight barrel with my first tensioned HG, and that with the 10" BAT, which has a 1.250 tenon.

This is important:

If you are building the rifle yourself, then you have to make all these decisions with just internet help. It varies from quite good to utterly worthless. If you are having a gunsmith build the rifle, spend your time selecting him/her, that gives you information which is much less random, and very helpful.

I came from a short-range benchrest background. When I built my first 1K competition rifle, I just told the smith I wanted to compete, and asked for his help in everything -- that included what to chamber it in, and which components. Worked out quit well.

Last edited:
My 1.700 Nesika fits in a tooley mbr stock JUST!, however with a barrel the size you are talking about, I would rather have it in a barrel block, but thats just my opinion, if you go with either action they should be fine in a mbr, I cannot speak for stiller actions as I have never owned one, but I have a 10 inch BAT and everything else I have owned in the past (stolle,nesika,hall) comes a close second to the BAT.

KB

Charles, you're right about the 10" BAT fitting in the Tooley stock. It would be tight for sure. I was thinking about the action first and not the stock.

Python for me----have had some issues with my BAT. In high wind which carries dust and dirt collects on the bold (no there is not to much oil) and it impedes the ability to cycle esp if you do not pull absolutely straight back and forth.

Love the action otherwise. Use the Python on my builds.

I decided to go with the Stiller Python. However, it's going to be 2010 until I get it. The Python will fit the MBR, I am going to use that stock because I will also be using this rifle for long range varmint hunting.

As long as you are going with an MBR stock, I'd suggest keeping the weight to less than 17 pounds. That way, you have a light gun for 600 & 1K, which you can also shoot in HG class. If you want. a muzzle brake is legal in IBS Light Gun, not a bad thing to have with a .30 that weighs less than 25 pounds. If you're a West-Coast or Pennsylvania shooter, a brake is also legal in Heavy Gun, but not in IBS Heavy Gun.

A better thought might be to get up with Dave Tooley (the "Tooley" in Tooley MBR), as he has another stock design for the higher-torquing 30 cailbers. Not available from Macmillan -- As of now, only from Dave Tooley himself. If you are interested, wait until next week, he is out of town just now.

As for using your competition rifle for varmint hunting, I shudder. Even the guys at Hawks Ridge, most of whom started 1K shooting out of a varmint hunter background rather than benchrest, the serious (read, those who win) don't use their competition barrels for hunting. Very good barrels don't come along all that often. I'm thinking of Alvin Johnson, who has used only one LG barrel since 1996. Sadly, it wins a lot -- I say "sadly" because it is hard to beat Alvin, and I shoot against him regularly. Alvin allows that the only thing he shoots with that barrel is matches. But 13 years? Soon, we all pray, it will be shot out.

BTW, some of the Pennsylvania 1K shooters do shoot varmints with their Heavy Guns. HG's will weigh 50, 60 or more pounds.

I decided to go with the Stiller Python. However, it's going to be 2010 until I get it. The Python will fit the MBR, I am going to use that stock because I will also be using this rifle for long range varmint hunting.

The Stiller Python will fit in the MBR stock with no problems. Here's a photo of a MBR stock that has a bedded barrel block and the Python action floated.

Svetozar.jpg

I just ordered a Python last week. I don't think there's any real planning going on to make one, because I was told 6 months by the man I spoke with. But I'm willing to wait.

Back